SASS Wire Forum

NRA 2020 Nashville

Lawdog Dago Dom

Thinking about a road trip to the NRA Convention in Nashville.

Never stayed there, just drove through.

Looking for any info on places to stay or avoid.

Same with restaurants; must go/don't go.

Thank you!

LDD

Sorry but from past experiences I'm not much of a fan of Nashville. I had corporate  annual meetings there for three years in a row starting in 2005 and was put up at the Sheridan downtown. The elevator didn't work half the time. I ended up taking the stairs and must have climbed and descended 120 stories in one weekend! The restaurants and bars I patronized downtown seemed  too seedy if not just unclean for my personal preference so I would suggest you keep to the suburbs for hotels and eating establishment for a better experience than directly downtown. But then who knows, things may have drastically improved in the last 13 years.

I will admit however the last NRA convention I attended was in KC in 2001. It was fantastic! Maybe the 2020 will be hopefully just as good!

Nashville is just over an hour from my home, so I don't stay there often. I have stayed in Franklin Tn, and Bowling Green KY more than once, with good results and experience each time.  I typically pick a motel with good ratings, and look it up on a map to see what surrounds it.  I usually don't stay at downtown hotels.  

As to restaurants, the Loveless Cafe is an awesome experience.  You will have to wait to be seated, but it's worth it.  The Franklin (TN) Chophouse is also a wonderful experience.  And there are so many good southern barbecue joints, it's hard to pick a best.  Leipers Fork, just south of Nashville, has Puckett's Grocery, which serves some of the best food I've ever tasted, and there a a lot of little shops there to peruse.  Opry Mills is a great place to kill a few hours, and has several good restaurants located there.  

I'm contemplating attending the NRA convention too, so hopefully I'll see you there.  

Lewis Old Country Store just West of Nashville. Great food owned and operated by a couple of fine Cowboy Action Shooters, Brad a tat tat and Dirty Nerdy.

M.L. Rose makes a damn good burger.

I bet @Blackwater 53393 can suggest some other fine eating establishments.

You might find some reasonable accommodations around Opry Mills, the Airport, or further east in Mt. Juliet/Providence.

Make sure what ever hotel that you pick has shuttle service. Traffic  will be horrible and parking expensive . Try to go on Friday it will still be crowded but Saturday will be worse pretty much to crowded to stop and talk or even see anything. It is something every shooter should experience 

5 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Good point.

Shuttle is the way to go. But still will have Uber or Lyft as a backup plan.

Thanks!

Music City Star might be an option as well:

https://www.rtarelaxandride.com/Middle-TN-RTA-stations.asp

Archived