SASS Wire Forum

An insight into the mind of Alpo

Alpo

Father Kit tell me WAS TELLING about playing in a bayou near Valparaiso.

I wondered how he pronounced that word. It seems that in Louisiana (and apparently everywhere else in the world) it is pronounced BY-YOU. In Alabama, and here in the panhandle, we say BY-OH.

Don't believe me? Listen to Hank Williams (Alabama boy) sing Jambalaya.

Goodbye Joe, me got go, me oh my oh

Me got go pole the pirogue down the by-oh

Forrest Gump (another Alabama boy) his best friend Bubba came from BY-OH-LA-BATRY. When Forrest goes to visit Bubba's mama, they show the city limit sign. Bayou La Batre.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayou_La_Batre,_Alabama

First time I ever heard the word pronounced BY-YOU was a Disney movie called Bayou Boy, about a kid in the Louisiana swamps. I laughed at the idjits that didn't know how to pronounce such a simple word.

Thinking of that reminded me of an NCIS New Orleans episode where they have a boat going down the bayou. Got the guy driving, and the guy telling the tale, and the honeymoon couple. They see a dead guy on the bank, which is the murder victim for the story, but before they see him they come across a fake alligator which these THE man telling the tale shoots at with what sounds like a 22 blank, telling the honeymoon couple that he had shot the alligator and saved them.

And that got me to thinking about the Disney jungle cruise and the heroic boat driver shooting the hippopotamus (see my thread about that).

Song SO IN about 5 minutes my mind has gone from Father Kit as a kid to Disney World.

Thank you for visiting Alpo's mind. Remember to take your trash with you when you leave. The next tour group will be along shortly. This way to the egress.

OK.

Between this thread and the latest responses on my thread:

image.png.c39368bb8dd5ecd9e5c07c4964ecbd51.png

Does Alpo's mind at least have one of these available for those visiting? 

Image result for outhouse

I have heard it pronounced both ways. by-oh and by-you. Funny thing is every time I heard it pronounced “by-oh” the guy saying it was drunk or drinking, so I just figured they said it that way because they were drunk. :lol:

15 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have heard it pronounced both ways. by-oh and by-you. Funny thing is every time I heard it pronounced “by-oh” the guy saying it was drunk or drinking, so I just figured they said it that way because they were drunk. :lol:

Another thing is that ba-you is two syllables. By-oh is actually pronounced as one.

Bio - like biosphere. You pronounce both vowels, but you don't hear separate consonants.

22 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Another thing is that ba-you is two syllables. By-oh is actually pronounced as one.

Bio - like biosphere. You pronounce both vowels, but you don't hear separate consonants.

Speaking of By You, looks like a nasty storm is gonna be by you in a couple of hours. Gonna be by me about 9:00 pm.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Speaking of By You, looks like a nasty storm is gonna be by you in a couple of hours. Gonna be by me about 9:00 pm.

Now that's annoying. I just checked the weather, and it says gusts of up to 35 miles an hour tonight. But tomorrow is garbage day. The can goes out tonight.

35 mile an hour wind gusts and that can ain't going to be there when the truck comes tomorrow morning.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Now that's annoying. I just checked the weather, and it says gusts of up to 35 miles an hour tonight. But tomorrow is garbage day. The can goes out tonight.

35 mile an hour wind gusts and that can ain't going to be there when the truck comes tomorrow morning.

My can just rolls around in the road in moderate wind. It's the damn lid that I have to chase although they usually stop when some jerk runs it over. Why do they they make them like frisbee's?

I've lived in both TN and LA, you think bayou is bad?  In GA Lafayette LA-FAY-YET, in LA it's LA-FI-ET.  In the GA version the "A" is long in "Fay" and in the LA version the "I" in "FI" is long.  Go figure.

The Docs where I used to work always told us that; "Developing insight into your own mind can help you stay focused and positive throughout your life. Insight is knowledge and understanding that you can't see without looking carefully. Be mindful as often as you can throughout the day. Pay attention to your thoughts and moods as they come and go without getting caught up in them."  I told them it made me tired...

Hey Alpo.  If somebody asked how to get to "By You" George down there in Bay County, nobody would know what you were talking about.  Same with Mills Bayou, Masselina Bayou, etc.  Keep the garbage can in the garage tonight, and take it out in the morning.

I don't know, man. Too many damn Yankees come down here talking funny, and more and more of these idiot locals had decided, "Oh my goodness, I've been saying it wrong all this time". I hear "by you" more and more and more.

And it don't help that that's how all the idiots on the news say it - radio and TV both.

A "Yankee" is a northerner that goes down south and then goes back up north.  A "Damn Yankee" is a northerner that goes down south and stays there. About 30 years ago I was a "Darn Yankee".  I went down south, stayed for a few months and then went back up north because I was tired of being called a "Damn Yankee".    Now I live in the southwest, in Arizona and I be a "Zoni". :D

Round  here  we pronounce bayou just  as it is  spelled ....when  spelled  correctly  

Creek ! ^_^

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Question: :huh:

How do you pronounce the capital of Louisiana:

a.  New Or-leens

b. New Orr-lins

c. New Orr-laans?

^_^

I b'lieve it's Bay-tahn Roosh

But I could be mistook

4 hours ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

A "Yankee" is a northerner that goes down south and then goes back up north.  A "Damn Yankee" is a northerner that goes down south and stays there.

Not necessarily.  A Yankee is a person who knows how to act when s/he gets here.

And it's by you.  LA should know.

11 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

a.  New Or-leens

b. New Orr-lins

c. New Orr-laans?

^_^

I pronounce that city Nawlins, but I believe the capital of Lewzana is Batten Rooj.

Of course I'm from Lah-fett Tennessee and we don't talk right now.

P.S. Why don't we have a Baptist category yet?

Narlenz, Mufbuh(Murfreesboro), Shebvul(Shelbyville)...need I go on? My sweetie,  Jersey Bratt has alternative pronunciations available

Alpo- It is not as dark in there as you might find in some of our minds.

Imis  

12 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

a.  New Or-leens

b. New Orr-lins

c. New Orr-laans?

^_^

Naw-lins

Yep. It's a pee-can pie, made from the nuts that grow on the puh-cahn tree.

The nut can actually be called either, although around here most folks seem to favor puh-cahn.

I occasionally hear pee-cahn, but that's normally a Yankee trying to sound like he knows what he's talking about.

Archived