SASS Wire Forum

Anyone been on the jungle cruise at Disney lately?

Alpo

In the sixties we went to Disneyland and went on the jungle cruise. The heroic boat driver saved us by shooting the hippopotamus.

In 1972 my high school band went to Disney World, where again I went on the jungle cruise and the heroic boat driver saved us by shooting the hippopotamus.

In 1989 I took my family to Disney World, and we went on the jungle cruise or WHERE the heroic boat driver saved us by shooting the hippopotamus.

In 1997 I took my girlfriend to Disney World and we went on the jungle cruise.

The anti-gun boat driver told us all to scream at the hippopotamus when he came up out of the water, and that would make him go away. He was the only one screaming but it must have worked because the hippopotamus left.

I'm curious if that is the new policy at Disney? Because Disney is (and it wouldn't be like this if Walt was still around) violently anti-gun.

So does the heroic boat driver still shoot at the hippopotamus? Does the hippopotamus still threaten the boat? Hell, does the jungle cruise still exist?

2015 was the last time we went to Disney World. I don't remember seeing a hippo and certainly don't remember a hippo threatening the boat; however, I do remember the boat driver looked barely old enough to drive a car and was pretty disinterested.

At Disneyland in Anaheim, they still fire the gun when the Hippo charges the boat.  They no longer fire at the hippo, they fire into the air to scare it away.  Least that is how it was last November when I was there last.  You can hear the "pop pop" every few minutes just as you go in the park from the left entrance (the jungle cruise is just on the other side of the wall from there). 

At least Universal's Shark ride used a grenade launcher, last time I was there, but the ride operator seemed pretty bored.

My memories of Disneyland are of me standing in lots of lines for a couple of minutes of enjoyment. I haven’t been to Disneyland in 25 years. The last time I was there the boat driver did nothing about the hippo...he pretty much did nothing at all. 

Both times I went to Land, and my first time at World, they had A tickets, B tickets, C tickets... You had to think about what you wanted to ride. And the lines were not really that long.

When I took the kids to World, in 89 or 90, they had switched to pay one price. Everybody could ride anything. Lines were a mile or more long.

End of the day. They're in line to ride the flying Dumbo. Rides stop at sunset, and that time is fast approaching. The operator would put the kids in the elephants, pick them up, make one rotation, and put them down - "beat it kid, ride's over" - so more people can ride before they had to stop.

Don't really know what the kids thought about that, but it pissed me off.

With the tickets, when you went to the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse you could wander all over, up and down, go in all the rooms and look at all the stuff (couldn't pick anything up - it was all attached to the tables, but you could look at it), look out the windows.

With pay-one-price all the rooms were roped off. You couldn't go back and look at something again. You just walked up walked in walked through and walked out.  Rip off.

Here are two videos of the Jungle Cruise.

2015 - Hippos at 6:32 mark - driver has revolver to shoot hippo

2019 - Hippos at 6:06 mark - female driver has no firearm and does nothing

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

With pay-one-price all the rooms were roped off. You couldn't go back and look at something again. You just walked up walked in walked through and walked out.  Rip off.

I've been told that now when you walk out of almost every ride, you have to walk through a "gift" store of some type. I haven't been there ever since 1982 when I got married. Only lasted two years so going to Disney was appropriate as I had to be fn Goofy to marry that woman.

I was taken to Disneyland when I was 5 (1956).  I took my son to Disneyland when he was 5 (1996).

Haven't been back since.  

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've been told that now when you walk out of almost every ride, you have to walk through a "gift" store of some type

The only one I can think of (at Disneyland) that does that is Star Tours.  Been that way since the 80's when they put it in.

Dont get me wrong, there are places to spend money everywhere you look, but Star Tours is the only ride I can recall that forces you to walk through a gift shop.

Archived