SASS Wire Forum

It hit home today

Snakebite

On 2/5/2020 at 9:49 PM, Snakebite said:

I load my shotgun shells most of the time. For the first time since the new law went into effect here in California, for buying ammo, I went into buy some shotgun shells today. They ask for my Drivers License and fed the information into the computer. after a while, it spit out a printed sheet from the Dept of Justice that said that I was denied, and not able to purchase ammo. Quite a shock for me. I'm a licensed DOJ instructor. Spent hours this morning trying to make contact with ANYONE at the California DOJ. No luck. It's impossible to talk to anyone... just piles of selected messages. Most of them say that they are swamped due to the fact that so many people are buying guns in California. After a few hours of reading, I decided that I was turned down because my new Drivers License showed my new address, and all of my DOJ records showed my old address. I sent in a address change.... maybe in 6 weeks I can buy that box of shotgun shells. 

This is easily grounds for a lawsuit to get that law overturned.  

18 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

This is easily grounds for a lawsuit to get that law overturned.  

Most of the pro gun attorneys in California are idiots they don't fight the law on simple terms in a lot of cases but simply try to use constitutionality as the basis for the compliant. It usually fails. If they would just just fight it on simpler term and stop trying to get a good enough case for  SCOTUS. we might be able to get laws over turned at the lower level. 
We lost Paruta due to mishandling of the arguments and the judges were spoon feeding the attorneys the question and arguments they wanted to hear to rule in favor of the plaintiff and they still didn't get the hint. 

52 minutes ago, Matthew McCrae said:

Most of the pro gun attorneys in California are idiots they don't fight the law on simple terms in a lot of cases but simply try to use constitutionality as the basis for the compliant. It usually fails. If they would just just fight it on simpler term and stop trying to get a good enough case for  SCOTUS. we might be able to get laws over turned at the lower level. 
We lost Paruta due to mishandling of the arguments and the judges were spoon feeding the attorneys the question and arguments they wanted to hear to rule in favor of the plaintiff and they still didn't get the hint. 

Do you have any links etc to support this?

OLG 

13 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

LA and SFO already do. :angry:

Nut'n will be done..... :(

OLG 

Having spent time  during my early Ranger days in most of the south and central American countries, including Venezuela, I can assure you that SFO most certainly does not. I don't know much at all about LA so I can't speak of that. Unlike some folks, I prefer to only speak about what I actually know rather than mindless conjecture and hyperbole.

1 hour ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Having spent time  during my early Ranger days in most of the south and central American countries, including Venezuela, I can assure you that SFO most certainly does not. I don't know much at all about LA so I can't speak of that. Unlike some folks, I prefer to only speak about what I actually know rather than mindless conjecture and hyperbole.

Well you're not the only one to travel and spend time in SA. I did this while living in Mexico City with my god parents.

The homeless issue in SFO and LA reminds me of the poorer parts of SA without question.

Liberals have ruined both great cities. 

OLG

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

And just where did they ask those questions? 

CA is 'ruled' by SAN, LA & SFO.

If those questions had been asked in central Ca, the responses would have been 180* different.

OLG 

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

10 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If those questions had been asked in central Ca, the responses would have been 180* different.

OLG 

You're right, Lumpy. And it's also obvious from many of the questions asked that either the poll takers or those being polled know very much about the gun laws in California. Many of the questions asked regarding support to make certain laws, seem to indicate that folks don't know those laws already exist. If the questions had been asked in the central valley or gun owners in general, not only would the answers be different, but there would also be a lot of "you do know that's already a law right?" responses.

2 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

You're right, Lumpy. And it's also obvious from many of the questions asked that either the poll takers or those being polled know very much about the gun laws in California. Many of the questions asked regarding support to make certain laws, seem to indicate that folks don't know those laws already exist. If the questions had been asked in the central valley or gun owners in general, not only would the answers be different, but there would also be a lot of "you do know that's already a law right?" responses.

IMHO, those poll takers know just what questions to ask, and where to ask'em.

I would like to know who funded this 'poll'......<_<

OLG 

5 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

That's a very valid point

7 hours ago, Matthew McCrae said:

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on tv. But I do remember the California 10 day waiting case. I watched the arguments and kept wondering why in the heck was the lawyer not answering questions the judges were asking in a better way. Almost like he was agreeing with their statements about inconvenience not being the same as infringement.  I felt like I could have come up with better stuff off the top of my head with no preparation than he was doing with years of prep. And trust me when I say I am not very bright.

59 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

45 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

40 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

I probably should've pointed out that this was assuredly a push poll. I was actually surprised it came out of San Diego. I have been trying to track down who actually did the poll and who the "800 adults" were as far as where they're from and basic demographics. It is a bit of a harsh indicator of how the thinking is going here in California. The ruling party in California has been running an indoctrination campaign for 50 plus years and it looks like it's starting to pay off. Even law abiding gun owners here are not up on the laws in effect. (There's no caliber restrictions to current ammo purchases.)  You can't expect more of the non gun owning public. It used to be that having a gun in the house was as common as having a spare tire in your car (which is increasingly uncommon, too) and nobody thought anything about it.

The Constitution and American history isn't being taught in schools the way it used to be. It's no wonder that it is easier to convince a population that a fundamental right is no longer necessary and is an evil.

7 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

Sorry OLG no not for a case that is six years old. I watched the Enbanc hearing and the judges were spoon feeding the attorneys, Statements of If you could bring use a situation like this or that, or if you were to argue the situation under these conditions. 
All I can say is watch the days of EnBanc hearings and you'll see.  

On 2/6/2020 at 10:14 AM, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

There is much cross-border shopping to thwart such controls.  When I lived in New York, smokers came home from North Carolina with trunks full of cigarettes.  When I lived in Oregon, web-footers bought their hard liquor in Hilt, CA just south of the state line.  I've read that Costco warehouses in northern border states are popular with Canadians.  I see that Cabelas has an outlet near I-80 in Nevada just east of the state line.  I suspect that outlet sells more ammo that most Cabelas. 

I am hearing that the CA DOJ has people inside that Cabelas store watching for people with CA license plates buying ammo.    They get pulled over by the Highway Patrol shortly after crossing the border. That is at least the rumor.  FYI

26 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I am hearing that the CA DOJ has people inside that Cabelas store watching for people with CA license plates buying ammo.    They get pulled over by the Highway Patrol shortly after crossing the border. That is at least the rumor.  FYI

Heard that myself. Don't know how much water it holds, but it still qualifies as a misdemeanor. Not sure if it affects your gun ownership, but I'm not sure it won't, either. I got an idea that it would move you up the "Red Flag" list for certain and for sure.

18 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Heard that myself. Don't know how much water it holds, but it still qualifies as a misdemeanor. Not sure if it affects your gun ownership, but I'm not sure it won't, either. I got an idea that it would move you up the "Red Flag" list for certain and for sure.

I believe it's an infraction so basically a ticket.

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

How many have received this ticket? 

I couldn't find any info.

OLG 

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

I've heard of one case but can't cite the specifics.  It's mostly scare tactics with limited enforcement on border cities.  Kinda like the fireworks enforcement in Pahrump Nevada

1 hour ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

I've heard of one case but can't cite the specifics.  It's mostly scare tactics with limited enforcement on border cities.  Kinda like the fireworks enforcement in Pahrump Nevada

Yup, I was thinking the exact same thing. ;)

OLG 

Don’t leave your family and home! Fight those laws! Look what our forefathers went through against the most powerful military and government on earth (at the time) and they prevailed, you have friends and brothers and they have friends and brothers who have friends and brothers! It can be done! I really hate to see what is going on in that beautiful state.  SCJ

On 2/5/2020 at 8:49 PM, Snakebite said:

I load my shotgun shells most of the time. For the first time since the new law went into effect here in California, for buying ammo, I went into buy some shotgun shells today. They ask for my Drivers License and fed the information into the computer. after a while, it spit out a printed sheet from the Dept of Justice that said that I was denied, and not able to purchase ammo. Quite a shock for me. I'm a licensed DOJ instructor. Spent hours this morning trying to make contact with ANYONE at the California DOJ. No luck. It's impossible to talk to anyone... just piles of selected messages. Most of them say that they are swamped due to the fact that so many people are buying guns in California. After a few hours of reading, I decided that I was turned down because my new Drivers License showed my new address, and all of my DOJ records showed my old address. I sent in a address change.... maybe in 6 weeks I can buy that box of shotgun shells. 

Yeah I would have had the addresses the same before trying....

hope i have not been rude regarding my comments of your laws , i sympathize and although i would not stay there i understand those that do - i stay here in spite of our taxes and such [that may change tho] we do have a law regarding 'saturday night specials' alloy guns that prevents the sale of certain items like the wrangler and some heritage arms 22s but i believe it was well intentioned in the time it was enacted , it seems there are ways around it without an imprisonable offense , 

hope ya-all can reclaim your state one day , im working on that here with a lot of other good folks , 

On 2/6/2020 at 6:23 AM, Snakebite said:

Yeah... it's a bummer. I've never had any problem buying any gun I wanted and certainly not any ammo. I try to follow the rules, so this event really surprised me. It appears that it was just a change of address that needed to be done. Doing that change on one gun registration hopefully fixed the problem.  We just moved out of the mountains a year ago and the new address didn't line up with anything that they had on file. When we moved, we considered moving to another state but just could not find anyplace that suited us. I hate the dessert, don't want the snow, can't tolerate high altitude and don't like high humidity. I like the North coast of California, and many parts of Oregon, but I don't fit in well with the ex hippies or the hippie wanta-bees. Not much on Chest Beating Vibrato so that rules out some areas, and having a well established  team of doctors is a good thing to stick with if possible. Bottom line is that it is hard to leave your home and start over when you are in your 70s, and your family is local. So...I guess that I will just have to stick it out.  

We rounded up all the hippies and sent them to Humbolt county, that's were the good pot grows.  

13 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

LA Times reports undercover agents attend guns shows in Reno. 

4 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

LA Times reports undercover agents attend guns shows in Reno. 

I don't trust anything coming from the LA Times. 

They are the CNN of newspapers. 

OLG 

Archived