SASS Wire Forum

Politics should be like Rugby

Rugby players beat the heck out of each other throughout the game. We take no prisoners but obey the rules. After the game, we party hearty.  :D Politicians act far worse than little children. They scream and scratch each other. After the election, they just get worse. They try to change things back to what they want and throw tantrums when they don't get their way. 

My experience with Rugby is very positive like CAS, sailing, iceboat racing, etc. We all get together after the event for fun and fellowship.  :)

Politics is just vicious back stabbing and low down mud slinging.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  ;)

I tried to send Red Gauntlet a PM but cannot.

I still say we have the best politicians money can buy! :rolleyes::angry:  In fact, there oughta be a law that no one can contribute money to any political campaign outside the district, state legislature, congressional district, or state where they live.  Of course that won't happen, because the people who could pass such laws would never do it!

2 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I still say we have the best politicians money can buy! :rolleyes::angry:  In fact, there oughta be a law that no one can contribute money to any political campaign outside the district, state legislature, congressional district, or state where they live.  Of course that won't happen, because the people who could pass such laws would never do it!

That pretty much sums it up Trailrider. 

5 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

I tried to send Red Gauntlet a PM but cannot.

I've never sent or received one here, so I don't know how it works.

I was founder and first president of the Tacoma Nomads Rugby Club in 1974. The club is going strong 46 years later; a lot stronger than in my day, and I have to say I'm proud of it. I quit playing in my mid-30s; at halftime against a local Army post team at Fort Lewis I realized I didn't really want to smash into people anymore. So I quit after that game; I'd never gotten seriously injured in the game, but figured if I continued with that attitude, I would.

I had a similar moment of clarity during a mildly contentious deposition 4 years back when I decided that I wasn't going to try that case, which was set for trial about 9 months later. Just didn't want to smash into it anymore, to continue the Rugby analogy. So I retired six months later, just after I turned 69. Just figured it was time; I'd been trying jury cases for 44 years.

Rugby is a great game, and I take in a few games per season.

After Dartmouth and the Marine Corps, I was part of a group in 1964 that founded the Chicao Lions.  A professor buddy and I travelled in the Big Ten and midwest to start rugby teams. We did it with two sets of jerseys and a quarter barrel of beer.

I played wing and hooker. I loved wing because I could pass off BEFORE THE FRONT ROW BRUTES COULD CRUSH ME.  :D

My experience with Australia, New Zealand and South Africa that the USA had a long way to go to even play a halfway respectable game.  :angry:

:FlagAm:

Instead of an impeachment trial, most countries in history would have had a civil war!

We didn't have a civil war.  We shouted, demonstrated, argued, stomped around, called each of names, but we did kill each other.

I'm proud to be a citizen of a country that resolves our power struggles through politics, not armed violence. 

:FlagAm:

6 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Wife and I had a similar idea. While in office a politician and their immediate family may only earn or accumulate whatever the salary is for their position. Any other income would be seized and deposited in the general fund of the level of government they were SERVING at .... city, state, federal. Those who would use the office for personal gain would leave quickly as they recognized that others could see what they were doing and prosecute them for being the criminals they are.The filings at income tax time would clearly show who was cheating and stealing from the public trough. Some side benefits would be a rapid turnover in the political representatives (who are NOT our leaders) as they would be the first to recognize that the big bucks would come from non-governmental jobs. Part two would be the keeping of leftover "campaign funds" would not be allowed and the large dollars left over must be turned over to the appropriate general fund. This would be a boon towards reducing the governmental deficits that affect donors and regular citizens alike while at the same time reducing the role of "big bucks" donors and their control of governmental employees. Lastly while in office all income tax returns would be subject to open records and FOIA laws so strict oversight and transparency of what these public servants are doing would be confirmed. Once they leave office do what they want as a normal citizen but enough with the rip offs, under the table contracts and closed door deals that only benefit themselves.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: 

Gateway Kid

6 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

After Dartmouth and the Marine Corps, I was part of a group in 1964 that founded the Chicao Lions.  A professor buddy and I travelled in the Big Ten and midwest to start rugby teams. We did it with two sets of jerseys and a quarter barrel of beer.

I played wing and hooker. I loved wing because I could pass off BEFORE THE FRONT ROW BRUTES COULD CRUSH ME.  :D

My experience with Australia, New Zealand and South Africa that the USA had a long way to go to even play a halfway respectable game.  :angry:

You clearly played at a way higher level than I did!

I went to Cal undergrad in 1966-67, and get down to Berkeley at least once a year to meet up with old frat brothers. We always go to a Cal Rugby game. They are always a top team, and have their own spectacular field in Strawberry Canyon, above the football stadium. (note-- I did not play for Cal!)

As old club Rugby guys back then we always hoped that the game would take the land by storm, but of course, that wasn't the case. But it has been making great strides in recent years, and people know a lot more about it than they once did. I think it will continue to expand. One big reason is the huge concern now with American football head injuries. Rugby is a rough game, but produces fewer injuries than football, and way fewer head injuries.

On 2/6/2020 at 2:58 PM, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I've never sent or received one here, so I don't know how it works.

I was founder and first president of the Tacoma Nomads Rugby Club in 1974. The club is going strong 46 years later; a lot stronger than in my day, and I have to say I'm proud of it. I quit playing in my mid-30s; at halftime against a local Army post team at Fort Lewis I realized I didn't really want to smash into people anymore. So I quit after that game; I'd never gotten seriously injured in the game, but figured if I continued with that attitude, I would.

I had a similar moment of clarity during a mildly contentious deposition 4 years back when I decided that I wasn't going to try that case, which was set for trial about 9 months later. Just didn't want to smash into it anymore, to continue the Rugby analogy. So I retired six months later, just after I turned 69. Just figured it was time; I'd been trying jury cases for 44 years.

Rugby is a great game, and I take in a few games per season.

I just recently had a similar revelation.  There comes a time when it is just not worth it to sacrifice your sleep, your body and your peace of mind for someone else's money.  I'm in my 43rd year, and the time to stop is probably within the next 6 months.  Five years ago, I thought I would die in harness; now I'm determined to live free as long as I can.

LL  

On 2/8/2020 at 2:23 AM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I just recently had a similar revelation.  There comes a time when it is just not worth it to sacrifice your sleep, your body and your peace of mind for someone else's money.  I'm in my 43rd year, and the time to stop is probably within the next 6 months.  Five years ago, I thought I would die in harness; now I'm determined to live free as long as I can.

LL  

Exactly right, and it sounds as if your timing is much like mine. I liked the profession, but it became harder. I'd been recruited by the Attorney General's office to try cases for the state, at age 60, and this probably extended my career 2 or 3 years because of the high level of institutional support on cases there. 

On the other hand, I always expected to retire at or before 70, and not 'die in harness' if I could avoid it. I've seen several instances of lawyers who didn't do well after 70. They still had their marbles and skills, but their attention to detail flagged. I always wanted to go out before somebody tapped me on the shoulder and suggested I retire!

But what was interesting was that moment of clarity in that deposition. It was low on the scale of contentiousness, but it was long and dreary. In mid-afternoon, I looked about the room and said to myself: "I'm not going to try this case". The decision was made then and there. It was, in fact, a lot like that long-ago day on the Rugby pitch.

I felt a real sense of satisfaction with the decision. I'd loved the profession (though 'liked' would be more accurate in later years), and-- it was the right time.

I've been retired 3 years and enjoy it. I keep my license, but only to keep it. I practice no law whatsoever. The last thing I want to see is a trial date and a bunch of case-schedule deadlines!

19 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Exactly right, and it sounds as if your timing is much like mine. I liked the profession, but it became harder. I'd been recruited by the Attorney General's office to try cases for the state, at age 60, and this probably extended my career 2 or 3 years because of the high level of institutional support on cases there. 

On the other hand, I always expected to retire at or before 70, and not 'die in harness' if I could avoid it. I've seen several instances of lawyers who didn't do well after 70. They still had their marbles and skills, but their attention to detail flagged. I always wanted to go out before somebody tapped me on the shoulder and suggested I retire!

But what was interesting was that moment of clarity in that deposition. It was low on the scale of contentiousness, but it was long and dreary. In mid-afternoon, I looked about the room and said to myself: "I'm not going to try this case". The decision was made then and there. It was, in fact, a lot like that long-ago day on the Rugby pitch.

I felt a real sense of satisfaction with the decision. I'd loved the profession (though 'liked' would be more accurate in later years), and-- it was the right time.

I've been retired 3 years and enjoy it. I keep my license, but only to keep it. I practice no law whatsoever. The last thing I want to see is a trial date and a bunch of case-schedule deadlines!

Yep.  We are brothers of different mothers.

I've worried at times that I would really miss the work, and the client relationships and the income.  But as time goes by, I really find myself wanting to be relieved of the burdens of the work.  I can't recall the last time that I did not end up with a trial scheduled for the week after New Years, destroying the holidays because I needed prep time.  I haven't had a vacation in 30 years without a call from a client or an insurance company, evidently unable to process the "out of office" announcement on my email, and determined to get what they need from me even though I'm 1500 miles from home and not carrying a computer.  I want to put my wife first for a change, and concentrate on some "Us" time.

Two weeks ago, in a state of pure frustration, I "fired" one of my oldest clients.  Repeated demands to cut rates, more and more onerous billing guidelines and restrictions, massive turn-over and loss of personal working relationships, bean counters with absolutely no understanding of litigation or the risk factors inherent in the cases, and unreasonable demands on my time finally broke the camel's back.  Much to my surprise, I felt good after I did it.  A pretty clear indicator that it was long overdue.

So, I'm working on winding up cases, collecting long overdue receivables, and prepping my partners for my imminent exit.  By the time it's warmer weather, I intend to be officially retired and on the beach.  And it's about time.  Like you, I never want my life controlled again by arbitrary scheduling orders from the Court or last minute motions from opponents.  We did not work hard all of these years not to be free at the end.

When I graduated from high school in 1970, we all had a quote under our class pictures, expressing our hopes for our lives ahead.  Mine was "To be rich, powerful and free".  It's too late to become rich or powerful, but free is still within my reach, and I'm going for it.

LL

Archived