SASS Wire Forum

Silvertip pistol ammo

Alpo

Aluminum jacketed?

Or copper jacket with some kind of coating?

I've always thought they were aluminum but something I just read referenced the copper jacket on Silvertip 9 mm.

29 minutes ago, Alpo said:

What other silvertip is there?

Yes.

Its an Aluminum alloy that covers the lead tip.

I don't think Winchester defines it as an Aluminum Alloy 'jacket', but basically,

I think it could be called that.

Although you did mention 'Pistol' bullet,  Nosler did (and maybe still does) make a 

Ballistic Silver Tip.   But I think those for rifle specific.   Not sure they had them for pistols.

Different manufacturer, same item name, different applications.

..........Widder

Never seen a reference to Nosler Ballistic Silver tip. They make ballistic tip that is a plastic tip that was added to their line of solid base bullets.  Solid Base were originally made as a practice bullet that shot like their more expensive Partition bullets.   Ended up being a great hunting bullet on its own.   Delivering great accuracy and expansion at long range.   But violent expansion (meat damage) if you happened to get a shot that was too close.   A friend  blew a crater on the shoulder of a whitetail buck at 40 yards that lead to a long day tracking.            GW

Internet lore has it that in the begining Winchester was using an aluminum jacket because the aluminum allowed for much greater expansion than a copper jacket.

However there is a big down side to using aluminum as a jacketing material. When exposed to air aluminum immediately begins to corrode forming a layer of aluminum oxide on the surface. Aluminum oxide is harder than most steels. This would mean that aluminum jacketed bullets would cause excessive wear of your barrel.

Currently the belief is that the jacket is currently being made of a nickle copper alloy and has been for several years.

The Nosler silvertips are using aluminum but because it is not in contact with the barrel but is located forward of the bearing surface.

I thought they were aluminum too but always wondered if it was pure or not.

Quote from below link:

"The aluminum jacketed Winchester Silvertip™ was introduced in 1980 as an improvement over then existing hollowpoint bullets. The serrated aluminum jacket was understood to enable bullets to expand more reliably and to larger diameters than copper-jacketed bullets. The design intent was to achieve rapid expansion and avoid overpenetration thereby reducing risk to bystanders. The United States Secret Service reportedly used a 9 mm 115 grain version of this bullet until the early 1990's when it commenced use of a +P+ version. This bullet is understood to have performed to design expectations when employed by the FBI in a Miami, Fla. confrontation where the assailant continued a deadly offense after being shot by police authorities. This bullet was considered a standard for hollowpoint handgun ammunition from 1980 through 1988."

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6115894-description.html

I have checked around, and from what I am able to ascertain is, that the winchester silvertip, is manufactured from a "polymer amalgam". As alluded to by TaosGlock; the failure of this "particular" round, in 9mm, in the Great FBI-Miami shootout scenario, served as the crucible, whereby, the mandate, for incarnation of the 10mm, started!

When the FBI; persued depression-era toughs, the .357 Magnum (revolver) and .38 Super were seen as viable fight-stoppers. During this time, agents faced CQB scenarios involving full-auto Thompson SMG's, Colt Monitors, .351 Winchester autoloaders, sawed-off shotguns, and customized .45 ACP machine-pistols!

A lot of the old timers engaging in crime were quite "gun-saavy", and wouldn't hesistate for a moment to kill! For the most part; the true man-hunters of the day (Frank Hamer, Melvin Purvis) considered themselves, to be unarmed, with anything less than a .45 ACP, augmented by a Thompson, or shotgun.

When you have a cure for "society's ills" like the 10mm, the .40 S&W seems like a "weak" counterpoint. :unsure:

Two posters - two different formulations.

Nothing on the Winchester site about material spec.

A quick review of multiple sites yields (1) pure aluminum; (2) nickle plated brass; (3) aluminum plating; (4) polymer amalgam (?); some combination of the above depending upon vintage and caliber.

LL

Archived