SASS Wire Forum

BSS Question

El Hombre Sin Nombre

Simple question: to cut or not to cut?

I recently acquired a really nice Browning BSS single trigger with 30" barrels. The gun is really nice, and I tried it once at a SASS match. The gun opens up nicely and shucks great, but it's so front heavy with those long barrels that I can barely close it without changing the grip on the forend I am used to. So the question is should I cut the barrels down? They don't make these guns anymore and I would hate to butcher something that is no longer in production. I hate permanently altering really nice guns in general. Or is this a gun I should put away for trap shooting? Or just sell/trade it? It's also not a gun I am used to shooting. I prefer shooting my hammered double with two triggers. So i am not sure how often I would use it anyway. Thoughts? Thanks

Simple answer - ONLY you can decide what you want to do with your property. 

If you intend to shoot it Cowboy, cut it and get action lightened.

If you intend to only shoot trap or sporting clays, don't cut it.

If you don't intend to shoot it, sell it.

To paraphrase the Duke -

"A MAN'S GOTTA KNOW HIS ... INTENTIONS."  

Good luck, GJ

Tough call to make.  If I had those concerns, I’d leave it alone and get a more “disposable” shotgun.  Sell it?  I likely wouldn’t, for my own reasons, but that’s your own, personal decision to make.

Cat Brules

My preference is a Double Trigger Hammer Double.  You've gotta make a decision.  I'd certainly sell it "as is" and use the coin to get another nice Hammer Double.  Sell !! Baby Sell !!  :D

You might see if you can trade it to Barleycorn for the slicked up Cimarron Hammered double he has on Gunbroker.

Seriously, please do that. I don't need another hammered double and the temptation is killing me....

4 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

My preference is a Double Trigger Hammer Double.  You've gotta make a decision.  I'd certainly sell it "as is" and use the coin to get another nice Hammer Double.  Sell !! Baby Sell !!  :D

I like that thinking. Any idea how much one of these things is worth?

Just now, Tyrel Cody said:

You might see if you can trade it to Barleycorn for the slicked up Cimarron Hammered double he has on Gunbroker.

Seriously, please do that. I don't need another hammered double and the temptation is killing me....

The only problem with the hammered doubles, especially the TTN, is they are practically indestructible. You can’t break them. I’ve tried haha 

28 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Any idea how much one of these things is worth?

In very good condition, about $1400-1600

Good luck, GJ

Seeing as you are undecided on how much you will use it I would leave it alone.  Can't uncut barrels and it will hurt its resale value to anybody outside of the SASS community.  Keep in mind Long Hunter is currently offering a very nice 20" CZ Sharptail with action work for $1295.  You could probably sell the Browning outright, pick up a CZ from Long Hunter and still have cash for Valentines day.

41 minutes ago, July Smith said:

Seeing as you are undecided on how much you will use it I would leave it alone.  Can't uncut barrels and it will hurt its resale value to anybody outside of the SASS community.  Keep in mind Long Hunter is currently offering a very nice 20" CZ Sharptail with action work for $1295.  You could probably sell the Browning outright, pick up a CZ from Long Hunter and still have cash for Valentines day.

Thanks for the advice. As a long time customer of Longhunter's, I would order something from them I want even more.

Nombre,

If it has 30" barrels, it is most likely a "Waterfowler"  model with heavier barrels than a Field or Upland model.

Cutting To 21" or 22" will still leave sufficient weight forward to allow for mere inertia cocking with a flip of the wrist.

It will also mean easy thin-wall chokes installation as the barrel are thicker as well.

just some info to consider......

Ol'  #4

5 minutes ago, Ol Number4 said:

Nombre,

If it has 30" barrels, it is most likely a "Waterfowler"  model with heavier barrels than a Field or Upland model.

Cutting To 21" or 22" will still leave sufficient weight forward to allow for mere inertia cocking with a flip of the wrist.

It will also mean easy thin-wall chokes installation as the barrel are thicker as well.

Ol'  #4

Thanks. I’ll measure them tonight. I’ve only shot this thing once and my memory ain’t what it used to be. 

On 2/4/2020 at 6:49 PM, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Easy..Send it to me & I'II decide !!!   Belgium Browning SXS are like hens teeth down-under.

A BSS is not Belgian.  If it was a Belgian Browning SxS, cutting it would have been unthinkable. Most of us have never seen one

2 hours ago, Ol Number4 said:

Nombre,

Ol'  #4

Yep 30”

Archived