SASS Wire Forum

How to roll holster lip out?

Howdy! I've been using a Ted Blocker Ol' #4 rig (heavy double thickness holsters) for a while now, and I'm experimenting with some new, to me, holstering methods. I would like to roll the lip of the holsters out just a bit to funnel the tops of the holsters a little more, and I'm curious as to the best way to go about doing that. I think I know what I need to do, but would appreciate suggestions if y'all don't mind.

Thanks!

We keep tennis balls and small game balls to keep lip bent out on our holsters.

JRJ

Molding leather is a combination of water and pressure.  Wet the leather lip from where you want the lip on up. If the leather is finished you may need a little more water than usual. Let the leather soak in the water about 10 minutes. Then using your fingers start rolling it over. Keep working it until you feel it just start to dry. Then tie it using string going from the top of the holster through the bottom just tight enough to hold the shape. Let it sit like that overnight.  If the leather is really stiff you may have to repeat. If you use a leather softener the leather won’t hold the shape. If you use alcohol it dries too quickly and dry out the leather. Water works best for shaping. After it’s all done the way you want then you can use a little softener on the inside to help the gun slide. 
Hope it helps and let us know how it goes. 

Persimmon Dan is correct.  It is far easier to wet fit a holster before it is dyed and leather finish is applied.

You may attempt to wet the lip area with a wet (water) sponge and roll it over, but your results may not be all that you had hoped for.  IMHO, I would caution against using alcohol because it can dry and crack the leather

Thanks for the input, folks. The water thing was about what I had in mind, but I wanted to make sure that there wasn't somebody out there smarter than me with a better idea.

1 hour ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

Here is a photo of my holster, that I rolled out the lip and put some braid on the edge.   My setup is over 30 years old and it is a unlined inexpensive Triple K rig, still use it today.

20200205_153652 (1).jpg

Really nice job, Attica Jack!

7 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Really nice job, Attica Jack!

Yes, I like it too, AJ.  
It looks functional and is very unique.

Cat Brules 

If you wet the leather at only the lip of the holster most water will leave a stain in our area.   If you wet the entire holster it will stain more evenly.   In other words there will be a line where the wet starts and stops.    Bullett 19707

Might be smart to use distilled water in a spray bottle.

If you find stains afterwards, it will be from impurities leached out of the leather by the distilled water.  If so, wipe it down with leather dressing, or similar....see if that helps.

Cat Brules

16 hours ago, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

If you wet the leather at only the lip of the holster most water will leave a stain in our area.   If you wet the entire holster it will stain more evenly.   In other words there will be a line where the wet starts and stops.    Bullett 19707

As I said spray with shoe stretch and it will form easily and not stain.

Archived