SASS Wire Forum

BBQ ribs

Highwall

The best I've ever had professionally prepared is from Guy and Mae's  tavern in Williamsburg, Kansas. Yes I've tried most all the famous Kansas city and Wichita establishments.  I mean this place has ribs so scrumptiously satisfying! The meat falls right off the bone. The BBQ sauce is on the side but really not needed. Bring cash and be reminded they are closed on Monday's. 

My personally recipe is to smoke a pork ribs slab for 6 hours over hickory chunks then wrap it in foil topped with sliced onions, a couple shots of whisky and a stick of butter. Sealed tight for another 4 hours. In the last half hour I open the foil and broil on low it for about 10 minutes.

Served with Texas toast and Mexican black beans makes for a perfect backyard or tailgate meal.

It all sounds wonderful!  Now I need to get out and have some BBQ!

Cat Brules

+1 For Guy and Maes. I remember going there as a kid and getting them and they came wrapped in news paper. Don’t seem to be quite as good these days as I remember them being but still fantastic. 

Jed

Ribs are okay, but give me burnt ends any day!!

15 hours ago, Highwall said:

The best I've ever had professionally prepared is from Guy and Mae's  tavern in Williamsburg, Kansas. Yes I've tried most all the famous Kansas city and Wichita establishments.  I mean this place has ribs so scrumptiously satisfying! The meat falls right off the bone. The BBQ sauce is on the side but really not needed. Bring cash and be reminded they are closed on Monday's. 

My personally recipe is to smoke a pork ribs slab for 6 hours over hickory chunks then wrap it in foil topped with sliced onions, a couple shots of whisky and a stick of butter. Sealed tight for another 4 hours. In the last half hour I open the foil and broil on low it for about 10 minutes.

Served with Texas toast and Mexican black beans makes for a perfect backyard or tailgate meal.

Your recipe sounds awesome. 

2 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

How could you! That sounds so yummy. Unfortunately, I don't know where to go for ribs and don't have a smoker.

Here is a rib cooking method I have used. When there is no time to fire up the smoker, you are working 3rd shift, and two boys paying sports (that like to eat after school and before practice, you cut a few corners.

Crock pot.

Not meaning to blaspheme the BBQ gods, I will apologize in advance. I googled a "BBQ rib recipe for crock pot" and found one that used Coca Cola. It was perfect. I came home at 6am, got the boys to school at 7:30, threw in the ribs and went to bed. Around 3:30pm they were done and the boys loved them.

Now for old school I got a bunch of recipes for rubs and sauce from a Memphis BBQ fan about 20 years ago. He did win contests with these recipes. If anyone would like them, send me a PM with your email.

Enjoy!

LDD

Having lived in Alabama for 25 years, I learned to love BBQ ribs. 

However, I die for BBQ Boston Butt.  Wife and I would buy them often at fund raisers.  Most just pull the meat off a BBQ Boston Butt, but I like it after it was cooked just sliced into steaks.  Oh, so good it's sinful. 

image.thumb.png.fb4f931ff08baa960f83a0429189116d.png

^_^

• 3 months later...

I tried something new today on the grill. I used char coaled wood instead of my usual hickory.  I put the steaks directly on the coals instead of the grill as recommended for coaled wood. The results in my opinion were sub standard to what I'm used to after years of various trials but then any grilled/smoked meat is better than the ole traditional oven or cast iron fry pan!:D

We still could taste the marvelous hickory flavor!

I’ll bet Okie Sawbones can tell us a few bbq stories after all he is a bbq contest judge.

We moved last year to about 45 minutes south of Owensboro, Kentucky. They call themselves the barbecue capital of the U.S.  Every little town around has a few barbecue joints. Some are only open on the weekends. I think it will take us several years to visit them all. One place located about 15 minutes away is called “Hawgs  Ass Samiches.” You can buy barbecue by the plate or by the pound and take it home for gatherings. 

I love BBQ pork ribs! Last Sunday I did a rack for my wife and I.

I hickory smoked it for a couple of hours at low temp (about 150). Then they go on the spit on the BBQ grill at 250 for another 2 hours. I then raise the temp to 350 and baste them with KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce for about 15 to 20 minutes. They are wonderful.

I do use a homemade rub on the ribs prior to smoking. Use sparingly.

On 2/4/2020 at 2:42 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

How could you! That sounds so yummy. Unfortunately, I don't know where to go for ribs and don't have a smoker.

I'll probably take some heat for this, but there is an alternative that does not require a smoker.

Start with a bunch of country style ribs - thick cut, with lots of fat, on the bone.  Simmer in a big pot of boiling water for about an hour.

Dip the ribs in barbecue sauce (recipe below), and slap 'em on the charcoal grill (Weber kettle preferred, with the lid on to slow cooking to medium heat)  Don't overcook; 3-5 minutes per side, or until the meat starts to separate from the bones.  Turn and brush with more sauce frequently.  Serve with more sauce, fresh French bread, and corn on the cob.

Sauce:

• Chili Sauce - 2 cups
  • Catsup - 3 cups
  • Worcestershire Sauce - 2 tbsp
  • Mustard - 2 tbsp
  • Diced Onion - 1 cup
  • Brown Sugar - 1/2 cup
  • Juice of a fresh lemon (add at the end; you can use slices, but remove them before you grill the meat)
  • Butter - 2 tbsp
  • Garlic salt - to taste

This recipe makes enough for 4 servings; multiply as needed.  I usually double it for a group of 4-8.

PS:  if you are having a bunch of folks over for a picnic, fill a moderate sized cooler with boiling water, and put your husked corn in it before guests arrive.  By the time you are ready to eat, it will be ready; it will also keep the corn hot during the meal, rather than cooling in a bowl.

LL

On 2/4/2020 at 11:42 AM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

You could try Texas Roadhouse in Citrus Heights. Their ribs are pretty good. 

4 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Thanks for the tip, Pat. Unfortunately, that is an hour drive from us. Our PO address is Fiddletown. We live 3 miles from there.

Oh, I was way off! Sorry. 

Costco has a smoker from Louisiana Grills that is a wonderful machine for $500. I love mine. Dumped a Chinese Traeger to get the better smoker. Costco also carries the Traeger mixed gourmet pellets 33# for $20.. Smokin’ Deal...pun intended ;)

Even if you screw up making your meats everything still comes out good. 

I use a modified version of this recipe.  What I do differently is:

I use boneless beef ribs, and I cook in a Pit Barrel cooker (a weber will work too)

for about three hours.  I use black pepper and salt, or McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning.

After three hours in the smoker they go into a roasting pan, get drowned in a bottle of Spanish Red (Bresca)

and covered with foil.  They Saute for 4-5 hours more, and are spoon tender when completed.

Makes a great pulled beef sandwich or can be served with sides like beans and Texas toast.

Mike Mills' 17th Street BBQ is the best ribs I've ever had.

http://17bbq.com/ 

14 minutes ago, Ozark Shark said:

Mike Mills' 17th Street BBQ is the best ribs I've ever had.

http://17bbq.com/ 

OMG! Ozark Shark, there is a chance I may eat there some day.  I have relatives in Fairfield, IL. I've visited and shot at Cisne and Sparta. Do you know Ellie Oakley,  Railroad Bill Hall, Shell Stuffer, and Taquila Tab? I borrowed guns from them when I was there. Great Peeps as are my cousins who I stay with when there.

Mr. Bremers ( Scout leader) slow cooked ribs when I took the Scout troop to my cabin. Best I ever had. 

Having eaten them all over the country in most of the famous (and many not so famous)BBQ joints,   the BEST is:

Charle Vergo's Rendezvous      Memphis, TN.    Down in a basement in the alley across from the famous Peabody Hotel.

13 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Owensboro, Kentucky. They call themselves the barbecue capital of the U.S.  

They are wrong.  BCUS=Lexington, NC.

Petey makes very good ribs.  Dry rub (secret recipe) so not exactly BBQ but still excellent food.

On 2/4/2020 at 2:01 PM, Marshal Hangtree said:

Brenda's BBQ, Mobile Road, Montgomery, Alabama.  Bring your gun, and a backup.

Those are the best sort of places to eat!  Especially BBQ or meat and 3 sort of places. 

My rules for BBQ places are simple.  It's gotta have a chimney and if the smell coming out of the chimney doesn't make me hungry when I get out of the truck, I don't eat there.

Now that Alabama is actually getting a Hispanic population, taquerias are the same way- if you're like me and like authentic food instead of what the local Mexican restaurants are calling Tex-Mex or Mexican cuisine.  The little literal hole in the back wall of a market taquerias remind me of the little windows in the mom and pop corner stores that did meat and 3 plates for lunch.  Both are/were honest food made by hand usually from family recipes.

On 2/4/2020 at 6:05 PM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Having lived in Alabama for 25 years, I learned to love BBQ ribs. 

However, I die for BBQ Boston Butt.  Wife and I would buy them often at fund raisers.  Most just pull the meat off a BBQ Boston Butt, but I like it after it was cooked just sliced into steaks.  Oh, so good it's sinful. 

image.thumb.png.fb4f931ff08baa960f83a0429189116d.png

^_^

I'm waiting for the local Moose Lodge to sell some pork butts as a fund-raiser again.  Somebody over there knows their way around a grill.

18 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

OMG! Ozark Shark, there is a chance I may eat there some day.  I have relatives in Fairfield, IL. I've visited and shot at Cisne and Sparta. Do you know Ellie Oakley,  Railroad Bill Hall, Shell Stuffer, and Taquila Tab? I borrowed guns from them when I was there. Great Peeps as are my cousins who I stay with when there.

Allie Mo, Those are my people too. My family has roots in that part of Illinois and my lovely wife, Ozark Belle, was born and raised in Murphysboro, so we are there periodically.  I know most of the folks on your list and shoot Wild Bunch with Shell Stuffer whenever I can.  

Archived