SASS Wire Forum

Powder check systems

11 minutes ago, John Boy said:

Billy when was the last time and how often do you clean the slide bar on the charger. Next, is your connector rod tension set to the charger bar correct

You can use silicon spray as a powder bar lube with no issues.

OLG 

1 hour ago, John Boy said:

Billy when was the last time and how often do you clean the slide bar on the charger. Next, is your connector rod tension set to the charger bar correct

The bar does get an occasional cleaning and I believe tension rod is good but I will check again.  Thanks for reminder.

Have always wondered about some sort of lubricant for the bar, appreciate OLG suggestion to silicone.

Billy, with the Dillons you have to do full pulls on the arm so the powder bar travels all the way back and stops.  That’s also why the connector rod tension has to be correct.  And watch your rhythm otherwise you will short stroke the powder charge. And if you want a safety check, weights every 10 drops of powder. 
My 550 is always within 2 tens of a grain not being a speed demon which insures the charger has a full powder drop

12 hours ago, John Boy said:

Billy, with the Dillons you have to do full pulls on the arm so the powder bar travels all the way back and stops.  That’s also why the connector rod tension has to be correct.  And watch your rhythm otherwise you will short stroke the powder charge. And if you want a safety check, weights every 10 drops of powder. 
My 550 is always within 2 tens of a grain not being a speed demon which insures the charger has a full powder drop

I have taken powder measure off and on numerous times trying to correct & find reason for charge error so I could have incorrect tension on rod.  Do you remember if there is a given check for position of tension rod spring device.  I know at the present the powder measure retracts with a loud/quick snap which may say that I have to much tension. Probably better than not enough.

In amongst Dillon parts I found an old PC and I remember why I discorded it.  For 1050 one has to use this washer on outside "buzzer rod", seems I bend washer in at some time and inside sliding sleeve of die also got damaged.  I think the Dillon PC is much more functionable on 650 than 1050.  RCBS lock-up die may be best to give me more faith in reloading.

The weighing ever ten drops is fine but my error is so sporadic that the faulty charge might have be drop number 5 with to little powder and #6 with tad to much.  

15 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You can use silicon spray as a powder bar lube with no issues.

OLG 

Would One Shot be acceptable?  Seems most any lubricant would attract powder, am I wrong?

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

No, OS is a wax that just builds up over time.

OLG 

Mobil One grease??????    JUST KIDDING!!!.  I'll look around here, surely I have some silicone spray of some kind.

In my pile of parts I found an old Dillon PC die so set it up to use, much like Randy and Kirk suggested, watching the V.  No buzzer just watch the V.  This will also be much like system Yusta B has using one of RCBS NON-lock-out dies.  While the Dillon PC will certainly work with 1050, I believe it works much more efficiently, if desiring the buzzer, with 650.

I also believe much of my problem was as John Boy suggested in perhaps short stroking as seemed to be happening in relation to the flaws I have with Mr B and using some old brass that was splitting frequently.

Thanks to all who have helped.

Archived