SASS Wire Forum

Powder check systems

I run for most part mostly all Dillon reloading equipment.  Main presses are 1050s and 550s.   Over the last few months I have been coming up with some light charges and squibs.  I went for many years with little incident of this but since converting to Mr Bulletfeeder seems incidence is more frequent.  I will point out that I prefer to seat and crimp separately thus the use of Mr B and powder check is not to my desire.  I am not sure the Mr B has anything to do with my problem but the system does call for a different style belling "tool" than standard Dillon and rate of split cases has jumped significantly.  So, I am thinking of back to basic bullet feeding but with use of powder check.  I am wondering if many find Dillon the best or another choice better.  I have used a Dillon PC years ago and as I remember not really to fond of it.  Truth is, in regards to my experience with Mr B, single feeding may be about as fast in the long run as I find little things such as bullet falling from case and bullets falling from feeder to slow me down in a long span of loading with Mr B anyway.  Interesting how little things can take the rhythm and slow production so easily in reloading

Anyway, What PC do you like?

I use the RCBS with the rising post. The one that does not lock up the press. Seems to work fine on my Loadmaster.

Edit - I also run the Mr B. on the press.

I use the RCBS lockout die.  It will lock the press if powder level is too high or too low.  On the 550 it will take the place of the seating die so that the seating and crimping is done on the last station as one operation.  I use RCBS Cowboy dies, which are a three die set.

1 minute ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

I use the RCBS lockout die.  It will lock the press if powder level is too high or too low.  On the 550 it will take the place of the seating die so that the seating and crimping is done on the last station as one operation.  I use RCBS Cowboy dies, which are a three die set.

Me too..  they really work.  I have 3 but was considering getting another but the price has about trippled since I started buying them.

24 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

I use the RCBS with the rising post. The one that does not lock up the press. Seems to work fine on my Loadmaster.

Edit - I also run the Mr B. on the press.

No problem with Mr B?  I want to like it, but just the little things that in the long run slow process.  I should just resort back to seater/crimp die and have powder check also....but contrary.  Loading BP on another 1050 without problem but single feeding and I can see powder as I feed.

Once it's set up it runs fine for me for .38 & .45 bullets. Radical changes in bullet weights, say - 105gr to 158gr may cause a need to readjust. Depends on bullet shape. I opted not to use the carousel - instead I got some poly carbonate tubing & cut lengths to hold about 50 bullets. I have 4 tubes & load them up while watching the tube or listening to radio.

18 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

Once it's set up it runs fine for me for .38 & .45 bullets. Radical changes in bullet weights, say - 105gr to 158gr may cause a need to readjust. Depends on bullet shape. I opted not to use the carousel - instead I got some poly carbonate tubing & cut lengths to hold about 50 bullets. I have 4 tubes & load them up while watching the tube or listening to radio.

Great idea.  Ill need to visit with you on that some time.  The carousel does not work 100% for me.  I find besides spitting out a few bullets over edge, some feed upside down, especially 125s versus 105s.  Tube lengths would be eliminate the carousel problems.  Do you find more split cases due to having to bell more than you normally would before Mr B?

3 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

Not that I noticed.

As I recall you load around 3 grains Clays, can you easily see error of stem if lack of powder in case.  I don't particularly want press to lock up but buzzer would be nice.

Funny, I DO want the press to lock up.  I use an RCBS lockout die on ALL three of my 550s.  I load quickly enough, that the one lock up out of 400 rounds that I load in a typical batch points out a problem that I want to know and be stopped for.   Usually it's a sporadic 20% low powder drop.   One of every 5 times, it's an empty case that signals I might have advanced the shell plate without a handle cycle, which REALLY I want to detect and fix (at least two cases have a problem when that happens).

The lockout die has almost totally removed all squibs and light loads from my production.

Good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Funny, I DO want the press to lock up.  I use an RCBS lockout die on ALL three of my 550s.  I load quickly enough, that the one lock up out of 400 rounds that I load in a typical batch points out a problem that I want to know and be stopped for.   Usually it's a sporadic 20% low powder drop.   One of every 5 times, it's an empty case that signals I might have advanced the shell plate without a handle cycle, which REALLY I want to detect and fix (at least two cases have a problem when that happens).

The lockout die has almost totally removed all squibs and light loads from my production.

Good luck, GJ

Is it easy to reset?  

2 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

Easily see diff. from 0 to 3gr.  I'll bring my press to Bar 3.

Want be there this month...off to AZ.

I was opposed to lock up because I was under impression that one had to remove die to reset.  Perhaps not.

1 hour ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Is it easy to reset?  

The RCBS lockout die?   Yep, the stem stays in the raised position, indicating the die is "locked".  You just press firmly down on the stem and the stem frees up and the die is unlocked.   While the die is "locked", it stops the handle from making more than just a short beginning of full stroke.   You cannot miss it when the powder check die decides you have an empty case, a light case, or a heavy powder load in the case. 

I tested my dies and found that the range from about an 80% of correct load to 120% of correct load would let die work.   Outside that range, including no powder, the die locks.

I was opposed to lock up because I was under impression that one had to remove die to reset.  Perhaps not.

Nope, just back off the handle stroke, press down on the stem of the lockout die, pull the case out of that station to find out visually what has gone wrong, after that I just set that empty or partial fill case to the side, and continue loading.   There will be an empty slot in the shell plate on my 550 after the powder check die, so I just hold next slug placement until next properly filled case comes around to where I place slug.

Good luck, GJ

7 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

The RCBS lockout die?   Yep, the stem stays in the raised position, indicating the die is "locked".  You just press firmly down on the stem and the stem frees up and the die is unlocked.   While the die is "locked", it stops the handle from making more than just a short beginning of full stroke.   You cannot miss it when the powder check die decides you have an empty case, a light case, or a heavy powder load in the case. 

I tested my dies and found that the range from about an 80% of correct load to 120% of correct load would let die work.   Outside that range, including no powder, the die locks.

Nope, just back off the handle stroke, press down on the stem of the lockout die, pull the case out of that station to find out visually what has gone wrong, after that I just set that empty or partial fill case to the side, and continue loading.   There will be an empty slot in the shell plate on my 550 after the powder check die, so I just hold next slug placement until next properly filled case comes around to where I place slug.

Good luck, GJ

Sounds easy enough, and should work on a 1050 press.  My thoughts are to place Dillon belling sleeve by in powder measure, add a powder check and see how things go.  This with hand feeding bullets or convert to Mr B feeding without the carousel as Y B is doing.

thanks

I use a Dillon 650 with a Dillon powder check and also load 3.0 grains of Clays.  Purchased the extra small shell bar and set the alarm right in the middle of the V.  I am confident I have loaded several hundred thousand loads using this system  I check the alarm every throw to see where is at in V.  Using new brass for every big match has been great with not much movement in the V; light loads will show and are very occasional.  However, using old brass for monthly and practice, I have a few more problems and check the  the high and low loads in the V more often,  I load much faster for monthlies and practice and find most high loads have media which adds to the weight or black powder residue if I purchased used brass at big shoots.   I use Dillon dies.  Very satisfied with the system. 

2 hours ago, Runamuck, SASS #49216L said:

RCBS lockout die, like that you don't have to "listen" for it to work. 

considering I don't wear h aids to reload, definitely a plus.

57 minutes ago, Kirk James said:

I use a Dillon 650 with a Dillon powder check and also load 3.0 grains of Clays.  Purchased the extra small shell bar and set the alarm right in the middle of the V.  I am confident I have loaded several hundred thousand loads using this system  I check the alarm every throw to see where is at in V.  Using new brass for every big match has been great with not much movement in the V; light loads will show and are very occasional.  However, using old brass for monthly and practice, I have a few more problems and check the  the high and low loads in the V more often,  I load much faster for monthlies and practice and find most high loads have media which adds to the weight or black powder residue if I purchased used brass at big shoots.   I use Dillon dies.  Very satisfied with the system. 

Thanks for reply Kirk.  I had tried to send you PM but got denied. Understand.

Not sure i understand about the V but assume you do not use the Dillon PC with alarm.  

I like small charge bar as well.  Do you hand feed bullets?

Brass could be much of my problem as I do not sort well other than times loaded.  I am thinking that as brass gets softer/more used, it affects charge due to belling process that is going on at same time.  I know I have found a few bad charges that happened just after a split case.

This has all been a sudden mystery from my four decades of reloading.  I have checked powder measure even changed from one Dillon to another, and still come down to something to do with Mr B belling sleeve and/or just a certain piece of brass that differs from another.  

Gee, shouldn't a fellow get 20 to 30 reloads from brass.:D

Yes, what are you referring to as “the V”?

Cat Brules

The Dillon Powder Check rod has a "V" shaped cutout for the alarm button to fit into.  Should be adjusted for the button to be in the center of the V.  Above or Below the V and the button is pushed and the alarm screams atcha.

I load on a pair of Dillon 650s.  Dillon Powder Check die on ALL of them.  I don't know if it has changed, but Mr. Bullet Feeder was originally designed for jacketed bullets.  I could never get one to run consistently with lead bullets.  I don't shoot lipstick bullets so have no opinion about those.  Sold Mr. Bullet Feeder almost as quick as I got it.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

The Dillon Powder Check rod has a "V" shaped cutout for the alarm button to fit into.  Should be adjusted for the button to be in the center of the V.  Above or Below the V and the button is pushed and the alarm screams atcha.

so by watching button in relation to V one can visually see if load is acceptable?

I'm the odd ball here it appears. I run Hornady "Powder Cop" dies. You adjust to your correct powder charge and you can see even small deviations in the powder charge. this doesn't lock up the press. Has a white O ring that rises up out of the die so you can see what's happening and to what degree.

7 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

considering I don't wear h aids to reload, definitely a plus.

I don't listen for mine I just look at it every stroke.  Works fine for me so far.

Thanks

Randy

I have a Dillon 650 and their PC.  PC was bought primary for reloading 5.56.  To many false alarms, I stopped using it.

13 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I don't listen for mine I just look at it every stroke.  Works fine for me so far.

Thanks

Randy

Thanks Randy.  You and Kirk have me convinced that I should take a look at the Dillon PC.  I will email another Randy (Shelly@Dillon) to have one at Winter Range on a press. 

A powder check, back to my Dillon belling sleeve, and hand feeding bullets is my plan.  Although the Mr B offered extra speed in theory, little faults I find with it has netted me slow production in the long run.  Much like auto primer tube filler (RF 100), great idea but a few upside down primers (Fed GM200M) and I have realized filling tubes from tray nets faster time in production if I count all the time it takes to knockout bullets from ammo with reversed primer. 

22 hours ago, Kirk James said:

Kirk,

How would you scale the sensitivity of the V setting if 3 gr/Clays is desired?  How light a charge would get a buzz?  I'm sure a seriously heavy load would quickly set off buzzer.

I actually find 2.7 grains of Clays to be a very accurate load but go with 3 gr setting because the errors in charge of late.  Lately my powder check has been me leaning over press looking in case.  The LED ring lighting on press helps.

4 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Thanks Randy.  You and Kirk have me convinced that I should take a look at the Dillon PC.  I will email another Randy (Shelly@Dillon) to have one at Winter Range on a press. 

A powder check, back to my Dillon belling sleeve, and hand feeding bullets is my plan.  Although the Mr B offered extra speed in theory, little faults I find with it has netted me slow production in the long run.  Much like auto primer tube filler (RF 100), great idea but a few upside down primers (Fed GM200M) and I have realized filling tubes from tray nets faster time in production if I count all the time it takes to knockout bullets from ammo with reversed primer. 

I agree, I’m typically pretty low tech. I even use a Dilly case feeder from Jackaroo   

Randy

39 minutes ago, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

I use the Hornady Powder Cop, works for me. Good Luck:)

J,

Isn't this a visual rod type of check, similar to the RCBS like Yusta B mentioned (not the lock-up)? 

Archived