SASS Wire Forum

Left or Right Pistols

Marshal Hangtree

Probably just superstition, but in keeping with the try to do the same thing each time - the right hand one has a sticky dot thing on the grip bottom, the left is plain.

Another set - one has checkered grips and the other is plain.

I guess I also do it in case one has some type of malfunction - I can remember which one it was (maybe).

i like the port and starboard idea , not at all sure where to apply the color tho , grip scales i suppose , 

but my main match are a pair of identical 5 1/2 NV that i do not try to keep straight - for the same superstitious reasons as some may apply in reverse , i dont want to favor one over the other , or blame one for my shortcomings , 

my backup however are a mismatched 4 3/4 Strong Side NV and 5 1/2 Cross Draw  , this one is Stainless Steel so not confused with my main match guns that are the ruger black as is the 4 3/4 , 

I have dedicated left and right pistols.

Right pistol back strap and grips are dinged from SxS.  No sense in dinging both pistols.

I keep the pistols in the same holster for a few reasons. 1) if you start to have intermittent problems it's easy to see if the problem stays with the gun or if it's another issue. 

2) My guns are blued and the holsters wear the blue differently for each gun. They are old Rugers done by Jimmy Spurs with many years of hard use on them so they have been in & out quite a few times.....if I switched sides randomly then they wouldn't  have ANY blue left on them...….lol.

They both have the same POI and are very reliable so if it's a "guns on the table" stage then it doesn't matter but if they go back into leather they go in the same holster every time. 

It’s kind of like having a wife with a twin sister.  If you can’t tell the difference, it don’t matter.

For me; pistol set 1 have birdhead grips;  and they have a sterling inlay on the outer grip panel. SO,  left decorated grip panel in left holster and right in right holster.

And pistol set 2, there  # 210 goes in left holster, # 214 in right. 

2 hours ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

It’s kind of like having a wife with a twin sister.  If you can’t tell the difference, it don’t matter.

Speaking from experience?

I've got more than one set of guns in different calibers , no left no right. But one out of the set's barrel needs to be turned, it shoots about 2-3 feet to the right. I put a dab of black nail polish on the backstrap, so's I'll know to hold left. I'll get around to getting it turned one day. It's not one of my main match guns. 

9 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Yeah, tell your wife that you mistook the sister for her-I'm sure it won't matter.

I don't see that going bad at all.

there are a number of twins in my family tree - never had an issue sorting between them , but they did use it over the years - every set , there were three in my lifetime and one before i was around - in the photos i can tell them apart , 

My main match 45's are identical and will always go in any holster, but they always shoot faster in someone else's holsters.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot 7 1/2 black powder framed 44-40 cimarrons, only a few hundred s/n's apart. Same springs in both, handle similarly and I dont keep track of them. I thought I did but then realized if I ever did get them swapped, it might cause some difficulty, I have enough difficulties without having to worry about that! 

Archived