SASS Wire Forum

Left or Right Pistols

Marshal Hangtree

The thread about naming your guns got me to thinking.

For those of us who shoot identical pistols on each side, can you tell the difference between the pistol on the left vs. the one on the right if they get switched?  Do you bother keeping them on their respective "sides" for "luck"?  Assuming there is nothing physically different about the two, do you have one that just shoots better or different on any given side?

Dang, I'm startin' to sound like Alpo. :(

My pistols end up in whatever holster they end up in. I don't make any sort of effort to keep them separated. They're pretty much indistinguishable...

Yes. every pistol I own is dedicated to a specific hand. My main match guns I can pick up blindfolded and know if they are in the correct hand. most of the others I have to cock them to know if it's in the correct hand or not. I tune my own pistols and I have always adjusted the hammer pull a little lighter for my off hand. On my main match guns I have adjusted the thickness of the grip panels for a better fit and I can just feel the difference if they're in the wrong hand. Nothing about luck for me it's all about comfort and ease of use.

Although I cannot tell the difference in feel between my two revolvers, I have one that is always in my right holster and one that is in my left. I know by serial number which is which. I do this in case I have any issues or malfunction with one. When I get home to work on it I know which one it was showing a problem. 

My main match revolvers are the same models.

One has a dofferent color grip from the factory.

Sort of redish.

It is also the first one I bought.

Both my guns have been matched for operational feel.

The first one is smoother to operate.

But I seem to trust the first revolver more than all the others so I will place it in the holster for the farthest or smallest targets.

Could be first, could be second.

They all feel exactly the same in my hand until I pull the hammer back but by then I have committed to the stage and don't worry about it.

I keep my pistols on a specific side because I was having issues with one and wanted to determine which one it was. I finally found the problem but I still keep them on their specific sides just in case.

I bought my Model Ps about 5 years apart. The older one is a 4 click and the newest is a 3 click. My old friend goes on my strong side. I probably notice the difference most on the LT and ULT and keep them where they are to lessen my confusion.

18 minutes ago, Northwoods Drifter said:

My revolvers are identical except the consecutive serial numbers. But I always keep the one that ends in a 7 in my crossdraw holster, and the 8 goes on the right.

No real reason for doing this, It's just what I do. 

+1...#74 on the left, #75 on the right!

CS

25 minutes ago, Northwoods Drifter said:

My revolvers are identical except the consecutive serial numbers. But I always keep the one that ends in a 7 in my crossdraw holster, and the 8 goes on the right.

No real reason for doing this, It's just what I do. 

Sounds like what I do too, except no crossdraw.  I keep the one that ends in 06 in my left holster and the one that ends in 07 in my right.  No particular reason except 6 comes before 7.

The grip panels on my 45s are just different enough that I can tell a difference. They are marked L and R. I can be blindfolded  and pick them up and know if they are in the right hand or not.

My 38s are indistinguishable, and consecutive serial number. 5 goes in the left holster, 6 in the right. I do it that way so, if I have an issue with one of my guns on the line, I know which one to take care of.

Being of German descent, I'm so  anal-retentive that I changed the escutcheons on one pistol of each pair so that the screws in the grips  face opposite directions .....  :wacko::o 

I have consecutive serial number NMV 38's. At my very first every CAS match the mentor who walked me though loading table, stages, and unloading table told me to always holster the same gun each time in your left and right holster for the purpose of keeping a routine going at the loading table.  The gentleman has been shooting for a long time, has won matches at the state level, and that seemed like good advice at the time.  So my pistol with the serial number ending in 5 goes in my left holster and serial number 6 goes in my right.  I even place them on the table, 5 below 6, with five going into my left holster first followed by 6 in the right.  I don't think I could tell the difference in them if I was to mix them up, however that routine has stuck with me.  Probably being way to OCD about it, but it hasn't hurt anything so why change now. 

On my guns with elk grips, the rounded side of the panels go to the outside.  For no particular reason, I carry the lower serial numbered guns on the left, the higher numbers on the right.  I don't believe I could pick them up and tell the difference if it wasn't for the elk grips.

I bought my first Vaquero before I was involved in SASS, and I was shooting it right handed. I ended up filing a little off the front sight to make it shoot to point of aim. I learned about SASS, and knew I would need another. The Gunfighter class was being implemented, and I knew that was what I would shoot. I sighted in my newest Vaquero with my left hand and we were good to go. So, yes they still occupy those positions.

WR

2 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

The thread about naming your guns got me to thinking.

For those of us who shoot identical pistols on each side, can you tell the difference between the pistol on the left vs. the one on the right if they get switched?  Do you bother keeping them on their respective "sides" for "luck"?  Assuming there is nothing physically different about the two, do you have one that just shoots better or different on any given side?

Dang, I'm startin' to sound like Alpo. :(

No difference because I tuned/built them that way.

I'm run'n OMV 5.5"bbl .44's with Power Custom half cock kits.

OLG 

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Identical pistols?

I own more pistols now than I can even remember. Each of them is part of a “set” that I like to shoot together for one reason or another. I don’t believe I’ve ever owned a matched set of guns though. Rarely the same finish, often times not even the same model or even caliber. 

My main match guns are EMF New Dakotas. One made by ASM the other is Uberti. "Snake" is engraved on the ASM and is my left hand gun. The other is engraved "River" and is on the right side. Very different guns. 

My backup guns are consecutively numbered Remington 58s. Those are almost exactly the same, but I always put the lower serial number on the left side. 

13 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Although I cannot tell the difference in feel between my two revolvers, I have one that is always in my right holster and one that is in my left. I know by serial number which is which. I do this in case I have any issues or malfunction with one. When I get home to work on it I know which one it was showing a problem. 

+1

One of my Piettas had problems with cylinder and bolt lock-up.  It now has a Colt 2nd gen cylinder in it.  The edge of the Colt cylinder is a little sharper than the Pietta cylinder and it was wearing a spot in my holster, if I used it as my left gun.  It is now my right hand gun and I have no holster wear issues.  

I shoot gunfighter and you would think that I would re-holster the same way with each hand, but apparently, that is not the case. 

15 hours ago, Choctaw Jack said:

Don't  have designated sides for my pistols.My luck is equally bad with either one,and I shoot just as badly with one as I do the other.

That's me too.

Only time I kept track was when I had a chipped grip panel, after I replaced the grips I went back to not caring.

Shoot Boogie Ruger's and do not worry which side the revolvers go in.  Any differences are taken care of by the buzzer. 

I have 3 sets of pistols I might use.  One set is nearly identical but one of the hammers is lower and wider than the other.  The other 2 sets are identical except that their ages are a couple years apart.  In all 3 cases, I figured out which gun was the stiffest (it's always the newest one) and it goes in my 'strong' hand. 

When I first started, I had a ruger bisley and an uberti.  In that case, the ruger was heavier and got put into the strong hand.  When I replaced the ruger, it was with a newer version of the uberti that had a hammer similar to the bisley, so I kept the older gun in my weak hand and put the newer one in the strong one.  With the uberti's I can't tell a difference in the stiffness of the actions, so it all comes down to the hammer.  I tried to get a replacement hammer to make them match, but no one had either style that would fit the other gun. 

Oh and I guess it's important to note that I shoot gunfighter.  If I was a traditional shooter, I probably wouldn't care. 

Archived