SASS Wire Forum

Brass 12ga SG Roll Crimp

Tequila Shooter

I've asked here on the Wire how to put an edge roll on brass shells, and got a lot of good suggestions.  Well the other day I bought an antique roll crimper that screws onto the reloading table.  It Worked!!  Just put the shell in, spun the handle slowly about 10 times, and I got a beautiful roll on the end.  I was so happy about it that I wanted to share.  After talking to BPI it looks like I'll be able to use my MEC Sizemaster to be able to do most everything else but I haven't gotten that far yet.  If I can't de-prime/prime MEC does have a conversion kit for large pistol primers, or I'll just use my old hand primer and a 3/4 inch dowel and go old school.

If anyone is interested in a 12, 16, or 20 gauge roll crimper PM me I now have an extra one of each.

yep, they work like a charm.

I use my MEC to do everything up until the last two crimp stations.

Then, I stand up the shells in a large reloading tray, and put in the overshot card & roll crimp 'em when I get 25 in the tray.

I've used the drill press roll crimper and the hand-crank machine.

They both work great!

About 10 years ago, I found a shell trimmer that uses a single edge razor blade. 

I allows me to pre-trim the hulls to length.

You can learn lots from reading this Website:

http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

Here's a link to the drill press tool:

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Original-Roll-Crimping-Tool-12ga/productinfo/ROLL12/

--Dawg

I've got a couple antique roll crimpers.  I hadn't thought about using them on brass hulls.  (Never thought about roll crimping them actually). 

296152346_Antiquereloadingtools2July2019.jpg.e358362eb24f86461e0f37be79e0b32e.jpg1208789103_Antiquereloadingtools1July2019.jpg.7c30851057e090a688d61efec13b8c62.jpg

I've got two MEC 600s. One 12 and 10 guage.  I never found a use for them loading brass hulls. 

5a8c7fc67371e_BrasshullprimerpunchFeb2018.jpg.97931ef71ad54ba17cc526aab7335c2f.jpg

My high tech compact depriming tool does a quick job of punching out primers. 

6 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

yep, they work like a charm.

I use my MEC to do everything up until the last two crimp stations.

Then, I stand up the shells in a large reloading tray, and put in the overshot card & roll crimp 'em when I get 25 in the tray.

I've used the drill press roll crimper and the hand-crank machine.

They both work great!

About 10 years ago, I found a shell trimmer that uses a single edge razor blade. 

I allows me to pre-trim the hulls to length.

You can learn lots from reading this Website:

http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

Here's a link to the drill press tool:

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Original-Roll-Crimping-Tool-12ga/productinfo/ROLL12/

--Dawg

I did buy the BPI drill press tool to try as a last resort.  I thought even at the slowest speed I'd still have worry about galling, no worries with the hand roller.

5 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

...My high tech compact depriming tool does a quick job of punching out primers. 

Thank you for that!  My punch has more of a handle on it, but I always have to get the punch centered by feel.

7 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I've got a couple antique roll crimpers.  I hadn't thought about using them on brass hulls.  (Never thought about roll crimping them actually). 

296152346_Antiquereloadingtools2July2019.jpg.e358362eb24f86461e0f37be79e0b32e.jpg

I've got two MEC 600s. One 12 and 10 guage.  I never found a use for them loading brass hulls. 

My high tech compact depriming tool does a quick job of punching out primers. 

I wanted to roll them because I thought that they'd load into the SG a little easier.

I like your de-priming tool, quick, easy, and low tech.

OH, I failed to add, that I never roll crimp brass.

The overshot cards are held in by Duco cement -- Easy Peasy & inexpensive.

The brass shells sustain no damage like a roll crimp will do to them.

And the mouth of the roll crimped shell is now smaller than the body, & will be harder to load in the future.

Like loading a muzzleloading shotgun with choke tubes -- will be hard to get a good seal once the mouth of the roll crimped shell deforms the wad.

My friend Coffinmaker loads brass exclusively, and just uses 3 larger overshot cards.

I make mine from cheap plastic shells.

Use 'em once & pitch 'em.

Nothing to clean & an endless supply of hulls

44 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

And the mouth of the roll crimped shell is now smaller than the body, & will be harder to load in the future.

Annealing is a god send on that matter. I started annealing my brass hulls and the roll crimp flattens out when fired. 

1 hour ago, Tequila Chase said:

I wanted to roll them because I thought that they'd load into the SG a little easier.

That's exactly why I decided to try and roll crimp mine. Huge difference chambering in my 87 and does help a little loading them in my ttn

Archived