SASS Wire Forum

Broken '73 tabs.. Just different Thinkin'..

Rance - SASS # 54090

I don't have a broken tab right now.. but I've had a few..:blink:

It's been said that some think it's soft metal .. :huh: And of course rifle timing..

I'm not here to say yeah or neigh on this..

Gunsmiths out there that repair these broken bolt tabs are now making

there tabs of harder steel and slots to make them replaceable..

My question??:wacko: 

Could the replacement tab be made out of "Spring Steel" like extractors are..:huh:

Extractors never seem to break??:huh:

Rance ;)

Just Thinkin' :mellow: but that can be dangerous. :huh: 

If you increase the tension on the hammer spring so that you feel some resistance when the bolt cocks the hammer that should cause you to cycle the lever fully open before you start the return stroke, eliminating hitting the tab with the cartridge rim and thus not breaking off the tab.

Duffield

2 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

If you increase the tension on the hammer spring so that you feel some resistance when the bolt cocks the hammer that should cause you to cycle the lever fully open before you start the return stroke, eliminating hitting the tab with the cartridge rim and thus not breaking off the tab.

Duffield

Or, you could just slow the timing down some, as in take a bit more off the lifter. you will slightly increase the stroke, but it won't be as likely to break the tab off coming up too soon.

The difference between tool steel or spring steel on a small part is very little.  

You will not break a replacement made of either type.   Running it over with a D-10 Cat and other abuse not guaranteed.  :lol:

If the smith is tig welding it in, he will probably use tool steel so the welding does not draw the heat treatment out of spring steel.

And, lots of 73 extractors break.  I've broken 2 or 3.  And they are made of spring steel.

Springs are more prone to break than tool steel, because the heat treat on spring steel  is more critical and has to be done right.

I'd use tool steel myself if I had to do one.

Good luck, GJ

I already have a brand new bolt as a backup..

and Garrison Joe helped me in timing my rifle..

I was just asking about material usage only for repairing the tab..

It was just me thinkin..

Thanks again GJ for your input..

Rance;)

Reckon I shouldn't have been thinkin..:wacko:

Could the problem be,  the tab is bigger than the spot it goes into when the action is closed?

11 hours ago, bgavin said:

I understand Three Cut is also a contact for repairing broken Stoeger barrel lugs.

No doubt he can do it, but shipping from CA->NC->CA will be brutal.

Many carriers where milled for the tab to go into the carrier were too thick and the tab engaged the carrier bending it. Over time breaking it.

Out of time basically has the same effect.

J.M.

Archived