SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range 2020 Swap Meet, Yee Haw!

Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118

Hey pards,

Thursday night February 27 starting at 5:30 one of the largest cowboy action shooting guns & equipment swap meets will take place at Winter Range in the main tent. 

Come in and shop have some fun there will be some great buys as there have been over the last couple of years!

TB

Sure going to miss the Swap Meet... I was going to look for a SKB. I think that the lighter gun might be a better choice for my wife. She is now using a Browning. It's nice, but the weight difference is significant. 

Snakebite

The Winter Range Swap Meet is open for competitors, conventioneers and vendors/sponsors to sell anything cowboy related they want, anyone can buy but you must have a badge as  registered competitor, conventioneer, vendor/sponsor to sell at the swap meet.

THIS REPLY I MADE IS INCORRECT——-I was referring to a different shotgun.
please ignore

Snakebite,

Hey, pard..... There’s another topic on here somewhere, maybe a week or so back, regarding SKB’s (early in the replies, anyway).

Apparently, the SKB’s are very prone to breaking, at least from the responses.

You may wish to try to find that topic (I’ve forgotten the title) and read what various users have to say about that shotgun.  I stopped reading the topic and lost track of it.  But, SKB might be one you want to be wary of(?).  Just something to consider.

Regards,

Jim (Cat Brules)

12 minutes ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

I think the thread he is referring to was about Stoeger shotguns

Then why does he say "  the SKB’s are very prone to breaking">

J.M.

SKB's fantastic. Never any problems. Have two and all work and such by Johnny Meadows and he does fantastic work. You can't go wrong.

Jackrabbit Joe

I think he must have gotten confused. The only thread I can remember was a guy that after about a dozen rounds, part of the locking lug broke off. I haven’t really ever seen anything bad about either an SKB or Browning BSS. Haven’t heard anything bad about Baikals either...other than they are not being brought into the country anymore.

Thanks for the feedback Jim. I'm somewhat of a underground, shade tree, simi-competent, Not for real-Gun fiddler myself.  I've worked on a number of the SKB shotguns, and of course on the BSS. I think that both of them are  a good gun. I shot BP for most of my CAS up until a couple years ago and I preferred using the Browning. The SKB is a more nimble gun, and does weight less than the Browning. It might be that Fannie Oakley might enjoy shooting one. Trying to borrow one for her to try just doesn't work because she needs a very short length of pull, and most are much too long for her.  So, about the only way we are going to find out is to pick one up, cut it to fit and let her try it. If she doesn't like it, then I'll just "s-t-r-e-t-c-h" the stock back out and use it for a back up gun. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

Then why does he say "  the SKB’s are very prone to breaking">

J.M.

I was wrong, JM, that’s why:  Because it was late and I’m laid up.  Enough excuses!
I’m in error;  I was referring to a different shotgun.  

Sorry to all.  AND, thanks for bringing this embarrassing error to my attention.  

Johnny Meadows is correct; everything breaks.

Cat Brules 

1 hour ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

I think he must have gotten confused. The only thread I can remember was a guy that after about a dozen rounds, part of the locking lug broke off. I haven’t really ever seen anything bad about either an SKB or Browning BSS. Haven’t heard anything bad about Baikals either...other than they are not being brought into the country anymore.

OMG......you’re right, I was confused about the shotgun.  Should have looked for the topic I was referencing.  It was probably better left unsaid, anyway.

Unfortunately, right now, my hair shirt is at the cleaners; I guess I’ll have to eat a big tub of vanilla ice cream, instead.  You know, the one with the M&M’s in it? 

SERIOUSLY, I apologize for the error and the confusion.

Cat Brules

Back to the swap meet....

Wish I could be there but I'll be headed to the Classic Cowboy dinner.

But ya all feel free to buy me something nice!  :D

Were I attending I'd be lookin for chinks, and whatever else caught my fancy.

4 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

Back to the swap meet....

Wish I could be there but I'll be headed to the Classic Cowboy dinner.

But ya all feel free to buy me something nice!  :D

Were I attending I'd be lookin for chinks, and whatever else caught my fancy.

Just take a credit card for dinner and leave me your wallet. I'll take care of the rest. You can trust me, I'm a match official.  :D

7 minutes ago, Rattlesnake Slim said:

Just take a credit card for dinner and leave me your wallet. I'll take care of the rest. You can trust me, I'm a match official.  :D

What a good pard you are!  Thanks!  I'll make sure there's plenty of cash in my wallet so you don't run short.

:D 

Hey Grizz,

I'll hold the money and make sure Rattlesnake Slim doesn't buy you something that you don't need, Oh yea, Need has nothing to do with it.

TB

19 hours ago, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

The Winter Range Swap Meet is open for competitors, conventioneers and vendors/sponsors to sell anything cowboy related they want, anyone can buy but you must have a badge as  registered competitor, conventioneer, vendor/sponsor to sell at the swap meet.

What about set-up volunteers?

10 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Thanks for the feedback Jim. I'm somewhat of a underground, shade tree, simi-competent, Not for real-Gun fiddler myself.  I've worked on a number of the SKB shotguns, and of course on the BSS. I think that both of them are  a good gun. I shot BP for most of my CAS up until a couple years ago and I preferred using the Browning. The SKB is a more nimble gun, and does weight less than the Browning. It might be that Fannie Oakley might enjoy shooting one. Trying to borrow one for her to try just doesn't work because she needs a very short length of pull, and most are much too long for her.  So, about the only way we are going to find out is to pick one up, cut it to fit and let her try it. If she doesn't like it, then I'll just "s-t-r-e-t-c-h" the stock back out and use it for a back up gun. 

Doug, I'll bring the Queens back up SKB. It's cut down for her so it might fit Connie.

Let us know when you're getting in and we'll hook up early so she can try it out.

17 minutes ago, Flying W Ramrod said:

Doug, I'll bring the Queens back up SKB. It's cut down for her so it might fit Connie.

Let us know when you're getting in and we'll hook up early so she can try it out.

Tnx for the offer Wayne. I've had to cancel WR at that last minute, so will miss the opportunity. But I'm sure one will pop up. Say hey to the Queen. Good luck to you both at the match.

On 2/4/2020 at 8:00 AM, Old Man Graybeard said:

I think the thread he is referring to was about Stoeger shotguns

agree

15 hours ago, Swiss Kid, SASS #54030 said:

What about set-up volunteers?

Telling u that you're not welcome at the swap meet would be a HUGE mistake!!

Your contribution 2 winter range is undeniable thanks for all you do. 

Hells Comin 

Back to the Swap Meet.

Bringing:

2 '97s, a Stoeger, an 1873 Uberti Cimarron in .38/.357, Square Deal B in .38 (just back from Dillon) with strong mount, 3 gun Rugged Gear cart, Pietta .44 revolver. Cowboy clothes, chaps, women's jewelry, PSE Reaper Crossbow, range bags and totes.

All kinds of stuff. Look for the Queen of Bling.

On 2/2/2020 at 9:47 PM, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

Hey pards,

Thursday night February 27 starting at 5:30 one of the largest cowboy action shooting guns & equipment swap meets will take place at Winter Range in the main tent. 

Come in and shop have some fun there will be some great buys as there have been over the last couple of years!

TB

Howdy pard, any chance of moving the starting time up to 5pm so those of us going to the Classic Cowboy dinner can do some quick shopping?

Hoping I have the room but going bring bunch a 58s and extra cylinders....Lead for making and lead for shooting....After that not what else there is that needs a new home...Most of the shooting lead is for 45s....Lots depends what I can fit into the truck...

Texas Lizard

We will not start the swap meet early in fairness to our vendors who are open until 5:00, we ask people to wait until 5:30 to set their goods out for the swap meet.

TB

• 2 weeks later...

Bella Coola, Nevada Blaze and Addie Rose are bringing to the swap meet on Thursday a bunch of cowgirl clothes in medium and small sizes.  Most are name brand, ie;  Recollections and Scully, etc.  and many pieces have never been worn.  There are dresses, blouses, pants, vests, coats, and 2 piece outfits.  There are also some vintage pieces.  All items will be low priced as we are not taking anything back home.

Archived