SASS Wire Forum

Sass clubs se mn, northern ia

JP McLintock

There is Holmen,Wisconsin, Evansdale(Waterloo) Iowa, Morristown ,Minnesota, Jackson,Minnesota.Nevada ,Iowa. These are the ones that I can think of 

Howdy JP, come on down to Turkeyfoot we'd be happy to have you as a guest.. If you haven't done so already I'd hold off on buying any guns, etc. until you've been to a couple of matches. We all love to talk about our guns and gear and most people will let you try em  to see if you like them.

Lanky Frame

11 hours ago, JP McLintock said:

Those are the clubs I found online, I wasn't sure if there were any others around, from where I am evansdale is the closest.

Thank you for the replies.

If you want to come to Morristown let me know and I'll bring you guns and gear to try 

E.d., I may take you up on that offer, Morristown isn't as far as I thought, I have plenty of guns, my current favorites are omv, 1894 Marlin, and a 97, but wouldn't mind trying a sxs.

I do need to make a different set of holsters and belt though.

When do you have your matches?

Lankyframe,  thanks for the invite, I have all kinds of guns, but I need to build a new set of holsters and belt, I'd love to take a look at the different gear.

10 hours ago, JP McLintock said:

E.d., I may take you up on that offer, Morristown isn't as far as I thought, I have plenty of guns, my current favorites are omv, 1894 Marlin, and a 97, but wouldn't mind trying a sxs.

I do need to make a different set of holsters and belt though.

When do you have your matches?

1st and 3rd Saturday's April through Oct

What size belt do you need?  I have enough different holsters and belts to find you something that should work

39 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

May be a little farther than you wish to travel at this time, but there's Milan, IL. Iowa-Illinois border near I-80.

Maybe when I get better at embarrassing myself I may have to come for a visit. :D

I am also looking to start shooting, and I have found that Morristown is closest for me (in Minneapolis).  
I was thinking it might make sense for me to go and observe the two April events, before actually participating.  I think I need to observe processes of a match, as well as how and what cowboys shoot in shotgun portion (I only shot one once 45 years ago).  I would certainly like advice between now and then.

I have an Uberti 1873 in .357, which was an easy choice since I’ve been checking them out for 20 years.  I also have a Pietta Frontier in .357, probably  will get a second one.  I also need all the other gear, like a belt and holsters, so I really want to talk to some others before diving in.

Thanks in advance for your words of advice,

38 minutes ago, Mill City Maddog said:

I am also looking to start shooting, and I have found that Morristown is closest for me (in Minneapolis).  
I was thinking it might make sense for me to go and observe the two April events, before actually participating.  I think I need to observe processes of a match, as well as how and what cowboys shoot in shotgun portion (I only shot one once 45 years ago).  I would certainly like advice between now and then.

I have an Uberti 1873 in .357, which was an easy choice since I’ve been checking them out for 20 years.  I also have a Pietta Frontier in .357, probably  will get a second one.  I also need all the other gear, like a belt and holsters, so I really want to talk to some others before diving in.

Feel free to send me a PM  I dont claim to be anywhere near an expert but I can try to help you avoid some pitfalls.. I'm in the board at morristown as well as kimball both are great clubs to shoot at.  As stated earlier I should have gear you can use and different guns to try to see what you like

1 hour ago, Mill City Maddog said:

A good place to start would be Capt. George Baylor's Ranger Camp on his website: curtrich.com.  It gives you a lot of information on guns, gear, etc.   There are a host of YouTube videos concerning CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting) that will show you how firearms are shot.  Don't be put off by the speed of some of the shooters, such as Matt Black, Deuce Stevens or Evil Dogooder.  They are exceptions.  Most of us are a bit slower. :)

JP and Maddog, Welcome!

Like everyone's said, there's lots of good shooting near you guys. If you're like me, and I know I am, you'll probably end up shooting at more than one club. 

I'd be happy to talk with you about the local shooting scene and especially about the Cedar Valley Vigilantes near Morristown, MN. Send me a PM and we'll get the ball rolling.

Archived