SASS Wire Forum

One piece grip for Colt 1861 Navy Revolver

I have a friend from outside CAS who recently acquired an 1865 era Colt model 1861 Navy revolver. It came with a one piece grip for the Army model that does not fit well and he does not want to cut down that Army grip. He is looking for someone who makes or will make a one piece grip for the 1861 Navy. Got any suggestions for who he might try for this type grip?

Thanks

Scout

Might try a Pietta. But the best bet would be to send it to someone like Patrick over at Grashorns Gunworks. Since it is not classed as a firearm he could mail entire gun for little cost.

http://grashornsgunworks.com/

21 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

I have a friend from outside CAS who recently acquired an 1865 era Colt model 1861 Navy revolver. It came with a one piece grip for the Army model that does not fit well and he does not want to cut down that Army grip. He is looking for someone who makes or will make a one piece grip for the 1861 Navy. Got any suggestions for who he might try for this type grip?

Thanks

Scout

Scout,

I cannot imagine that your friend's 1860 Army grip assembly is from an original 1860. If, upon comparing the fit on a Pietta (frames of the 1851/1860/1861 are identical at the rear) and it works, I have a Pietta 1851 Navy 3-piece grip assembly on a 4-screw cut-for-shoulder-stock frame that  would like to swap out for the longer 1860 Army assembly. I would like to trade straight across for your friend's assembly. Taylor's and VTI don't give those things away.

Navy-4-screw-004.jpg

The Navy trigger guard is flush with the bottom of the mainspring, while the Army trigger guard locates the mainspring higher up. Both use the same mainspring.

Navy-TG-001.jpg

Army-TG-002.jpg

I am not a SASS member so I can't advertise that in the classified section.

If interested, please email me with photos.

Regards,

Jim

jspadberg@centurytel.net

Scout,

I wouldn’t swap/trade anything off that pistol if I were you.

Cat Brules

So no suggestions for someone who make wood grips. Goody's suggested company does not appear to make wood grips. Guess I need to suggest he check out the uberti or pietta grips to see if they will fit.

Archived