SASS Wire Forum

dovetails

Alpo

Thanks. Never replaced anything dovetailed before, and my new rear sight is scheduled to show up Tuesday. Hate to break the old one trying to push it out the wrong way. Hate even more to booger up the dovetail so I couldn't put the new one in.

7 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Is it a good or a bad idea to put some lubricant on either the new base or the dovetail, to make installing the new sight easier?

I do not but I clean the old dovetail and new sight with acetone to make sure there is no hunk or debris to cause issues. 

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Is it a good or a bad idea to put some lubricant on either the new base or the dovetail, to make installing the new sight easier?

Clean well and use no lubricant. 

If the new sight is too tight remove metal from the bottom of the sight with fine emory paper. Once it fits reblue the sanded area with Oxpho blue or Birchwood Casey Super Blue  

If it is too loose put a couple of dimples in the bottom of the sight with a center punch.

Always make modifications to the least expensive part.

21 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Clean then well and use no lubricant. 

If the new sight is too tight remove metal from the bottom of the sight with fine emory paper. Once it fits reblue the sanded area with Oxpho blue or Birchwood Casey Super Blue  

If it is too loose put a couple of dimples in the bottom of the sight with a center punch.

Always make modifications to the least expensive part.

And if it's really loose, use a beer can (small piece) shim.

20 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

And if it's really loose, use a beer can (small piece) shim.

Back in the Good Ol' Days I used to use a dime to set my Harley points clearance.
When I didn't have a dime, two nickels would do...

;)

Archived