SASS Wire Forum

Help. Unable to clear sqib

4 minutes ago, Marshal Jack Murphy SASS #32018 said:

Thanks for all the helpful comment. Well the situation has gotten worse. I tried removing them by drilling them out when the drill bit jammed and snapped off inside the barrel. I will be taking to the gunsmith and hopefully they can get it out. They will most likely have to remove the barrel. Thankfully I have backups. Many leasing learned. 

Best of luck, thanks for the update.

Grizz

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/2/2020 at 6:14 PM, Cat Brules said:

Hey folks!

It’s gonna be VERY smart of most of you to STAY AWAY from mercury!!!

the amalgamation of lead and mercury is dangerous.  You could get mercury and/or lead in your bloodstream jacking around with that stuff.  Especially using it as an adjunct, or step along the was to a desired end result.  Just stay away from it.

Also it (mercury) will damage your gold wedding band an other gold jewelry.

Gold dissolves/amalgamate with mercury.

Cat Brules

Sure shines up your silver fillings. But that was when I was in school; not now. GR

1 hour ago, Marshal Jack Murphy SASS #32018 said:

Thanks for all the helpful comment. Well the situation has gotten worse. I tried removing them by drilling them out when the drill bit jammed and snapped off inside the barrel. I will be taking to the gunsmith and hopefully they can get it out. They will most likely have to remove the barrel. Thankfully I have backups. Many leassons learned. 

PLZ, keep us updated. 

Ask the 'smith if he is willing to provide pictures of the procedure. 

OLG 

I don't recommend this at all but it reminded me of a story my Dad told of his youth around 1920.   All they had was an old Stevens Crackshot and used it mostly to kill hogs.  Anyway either he or his brothers managed to hang one or more squib shorts up in the barrel and nothing they did would dislodge them .   One got the bright idea of putting the barrel on the forge and they left it a tad too long....not the best steel in the world either.  Anyway Daddy said after the lead cam rolling out that barrel was as curvy as the streets of San Antonio.

Heres a good thread:  https://www.shootersforum.com/gunsmithing/165122-removing-stuck-bullets-revolver-barrel.html

Archived