SASS Wire Forum

Help. Unable to clear sqib

Amazing how the times change.   I remember people rubbing mercury onto a penny during science class in high school.   GW

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like the voice of experience to me!

Cat Brules

7 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Amazing how the times change.   I remember people rubbing mercury onto a penny during science class in high school.   GW

Yes, I remember doing that!  The Mercury was amalgamating with the copper.

Back then, we didn’t know diddly sh#€ about mercury and dissolved other metals getting into the bloodstream through our skin by getting it on our hands and smearing it around on our skin

JUST STAY AWAY from it.  There ain’t nothing we do, in my view, that actually REQUIRES fooling around with mercury.  Just reloading can increase your blood/body level of lead.  A mercury/lead amalgam smeared on your fingers and hands can and will dramatically increase your blood/body levels.

Can’t say it enough.....don’t mess with it.

Cat Brules

Marshall Jack, sorry for your troubles. I was shooting at Wild Cat this weekend and heard about your troubles. I would call up Assassin as he suggested. Also on my list would be Run-n-Iron:  RUN-N-IRON Customizing
10116 - 744 Road
Bertrand, Nebraska 68927
308-472-1445

Lonnie is great at working on rounds stuck in chambers and barrels. He has fixed a couple of my firearms while at special matches. Great Guy and will probaly cost about $50 to $75 for the fix.

Russ the Red

I realize this is a real wild a$$ idea, but I don't necessarily see a down side...

Could you stick the pistol barrel in a hot pot of lead and melt the squibs out?

This probably a bad idea but what about heating the outside of the barrel up with a propane torch, hopefully slightly melting the lead.  Then it would be a little easier to drive out while the lead is soft/melted around the edges.  Of course, if you don't get it out, you have just lead soldered the bullets into the barrel.

3 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

This probably a bad idea but what about heating the outside of the barrel up with a propane torch, hopefully slightly melting the lead.  Then it would be a little easier to drive out while the lead is soft/melted around the edges.  Of course, if you don't get it out, you have just lead soldered the bullets into the barrel.

Like you said, this may be a bad idea. Lead melts around 600 degrees F. The plant I used to work in hardened parts and then soaked them in draw furnaces to remove some of the hardness. Those furnaces ran about 600 degrees F. I would be concerned that heating the barrel hot enough to melt the lead would affect the strength of the steel, not to mention ruin the bluing or nickle.

11 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

I realize this is a real wild a$$ idea, but I don't necessarily see a down side...

Could you stick the pistol barrel in a hot pot of lead and melt the squibs out?

Might be kinda tough on bluing, among other things like tempering.  

Thanks everyone. Well I just measured from both ends to the obstruction and it appears that I may have 3 bullets logged in the barrel. I believe that the only way is to drill them out. I think I will try it drilling using a a metal sleeve to guide the bit. I let y'all know how they come out.  

1 hour ago, Marshal Jack Murphy SASS #32018 said:

Thanks everyone. Well I just measured from both ends to the obstruction and it appears that I may have 3 bullets logged in the barrel. I believe that the only way is to drill them out. I think I will try it drilling using a a metal sleeve to guide the bit. I let y'all know how they come out.  

I would use a hydraulic press first.

OLG 

Two weeks ago we had a shooter in Yuma stack three in his rifle. I told him to use a drill bit wrapped with tape to protect the barrel as a shim which he did and EASILY drove them out with a brass rod after drilling thru them with the bit. He actually bent a rod trying to drive them out previously.

kR

3 hours ago, Marshal Jack Murphy SASS #32018 said:

See if a piece of 3/8 copper tubing will work for a drill guide.  

FOR .38 SPECIAL:

3/8” tubing....3/8” OD (outside diameter), anyway,  WILL NOT fit the bore of a .38 caliber revolver......3/8” is too large.  Tubing isn’t the answer either, to drive out the squib bullets....you need a solid brass rod, 11/32” OD or smaller perhaps, to use as a driver.

As stated earlier, above, you can use a piece of brass tubing as a drill bit guide that will fit the bore (5/16” if you can find it) and insert a long drill bit through the tubing to drill of the squib bullets.  The tubing will HELP protect the bore.  Just make sure your tubing sticks at least 3/8” up out of the bore (protect the muzzle).

I think that for the long run, it’s time for you to take the revolver to a professional gunsmith.

Cat Brules

3 hours ago, Marshal Jack Murphy SASS #32018 said:

To clear things up a little. I shoot 45C not 38s&w.

Ouch!  Okay, then.....caliber .45 Colt.  The approach should be the same.  However, it MAY be becoming too complicated, requiring a gunsmith’s services.  But that’s YOUR call to make.

Cat Brules

On 2/4/2020 at 7:41 PM, watab kid said:

very educational thread , so many things to consider and so many good solutions or approaches , i appreciate all this input , 

You know a lot of us are holding our breath here.  Did you get that squib out????

It's been cold here in Colorado so maybe Marshall Jack has retired to the potbelly stove. We haven't shot since the squib so maybe he's waiting for the temperature to get above freezing. Just kidding of course, but I haven't wanted to go into the garage and reload for about a week now.

Apparently then, this was a theoretical situation?

Cat Brules

11 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Apparently then, this was a theoretical situation?

Cat Brules

Marshal Jack wouldn't post it if it didn't happen. He's an honest straight shooter ...:)

1 hour ago, Yusta B. said:

Marshal Jack wouldn't post it if it didn't happen. He's an honest straight shooter ...:)

If the bullet gets out of the barrel. :)

On 2/3/2020 at 8:26 PM, Marshal Jack Murphy SASS #32018 said:

You can also heat the drill bit cherry red and cool very slowly to anneal it. Test the bit with a file to make sure it's soft. That would limit damage to the bore as well.

4 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

I didn’t say or insinuate that he isn’t.  But, there’s info he didn’t give, leading me to think it might be a “what if”.  Whether it happened or not might be irrelevant.

Take it to a gunsmith.

Cat Brules

2 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

I didn’t say or insinuate that he isn’t.  But, there’s info he didn’t give, leading me to think it might be a “what if”.  Whether it happened or not might be irrelevant.

Take it to a gunsmith.

Cat Brules

I wasn't insinuating anything friend - just giving a good reference to a friend I've shot with for about 8 yrs. That's why I put a smiley face on the post - like this one :)

No, YB, I was referring to ME, not you.  I won’t get into it with you.

Yeah, I understand, what you said.  And, feedback is important.  Several people became invested in the Topic with minimal return from Jack.  Maybe he’ll resolve the problem he described.

Cat Brules

Thanks for all the helpful comment. Well the situation has gotten worse. I tried removing them by drilling them out when the drill bit jammed and snapped off inside the barrel. I will be taking to the gunsmith and hopefully they can get it out. They will most likely have to remove the barrel. Thankfully I have backups. Many leassons learned. 

On 2/3/2020 at 8:26 PM, Marshal Jack Murphy SASS #32018 said:

...I let y'all know how they come out.  

I'm not getting any younger you know.  Update?

Archived