SASS Wire Forum

First time for me...and not very pleasant

Outrider Outlaw

I've been driving a car for 56 years.  I've never had a speeding ticket or an accident.  Until yesterday that is and it was a doozy.  I was driving on an interstate.  There was some snow coming down but nothing special.  I hit a spot where there was no indication of it being slick but boy was it.  My car started to spin and I tried to correct it, but at 70 mph things happened really fast.  I ended up doing a 360 spin and then slid to the side of the road where my momentum caused a roll over.  My car stopped upside down.  A couple good Samaritans stopped to help me.  I opened my window and they pulled me out.  No way that the doors would open.

I went to the ER and got checked out.  No indications of any problems for me including an okay CT scan.  I'm just a little bruised and stiff.  I'm just thankful that there were no other vehicles involved and that I was traveling alone.  Even the LEO that stopped said he didn't think it had been snowing enough to make it slick.

Ironically,  I've been looking at different models of vehicles with the thought of replacing my current vehicle in the Spring.  I think I just blew my trade-in value.  But, I guess I'll be getting a different vehicle a little sooner than planned.

Good outcome. Those of us in Farthest North Idaho are familiar with that problem. Here, feezing rain and downbursts don't help. I am glad you had such a "lucky" accident. Any that you can walk away from are "good" ones.

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Glad you're okay. That sounds scary!!:o

BTW what kind of vehicle was it?

2009 Ford Ranger Sport.  4x4 with 5 speed manual trans.  Had about $2,000 worth of front end work done on it in October.  It had just turned 80K miles.

Glad you made it out OK.

I guess the engineers designing "crumple zones" in vehicles are getting it right.

7 minutes ago, Outrider Outlaw said:

2009 Ford Ranger Sport.  4x4 with 5 speed manual trans.  Had about $2,000 worth of front end work done on it in October.  It had just turned 80K miles.

I guess we all know that 4 wheel drive doesn't nothing on ice. Pickups and SUV's are the most vulnerable to rollovers. I guess a good old car is best in that situation all though they can rollover too. I have a Buck Encore FWD small SUV, I always think m subject to a rollover in that too!:o

Glad you are ok!

To be fair any rear wheel drive pickup with no weight in the back is about the worst scenario....guessing 4WD was not engaged as going 70 and didn’t think it was slick.  Throw in non snow or worn tires......

A ton of Subaru’s out west...but I’d buy I would get new through a Costco program or something....the used ones are stupid expensive and more than new in many cases.  The symmetrical AWD is nice and they get more HP to the wheels then most AWD systems with loads of other safety stuff.  

Lots of great choices in vehicles and lots of safety stuff since 2009.  I love blind spot detection and warning the most....but things like lane departure, adaptive cruise, auto braking, etc are really really nice!  

You are safe and healthy!!  The tin can is replaceable.

All’s well as ends better, says I!!

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

May I inquire why you were doing 70 MPH in those weather conditions? :wacko:

Look hard at Subaru. ;)

OLG 

There was some snow coming down but nothing serious.  The roads were dry and clear.  I had been driving at highway speed for the previous 30 miles.  Up to that point other cars were passing me.  I guess I was just unlucky to hit that patch.  As I said, even the LEO was surprised.

Just looked at Subaru and it doesn't have sufficient towing capacity for my needs.  And, yes, I only tow in good weather--never in winter.

I’m glad you made it out of that one.  It’s a helpless feeling.

cb

9 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Congratulations on surviving your first and serious accident.

If you liked your Ranger, are you looking at another?  It seems to have served you well, walking away from a 70 mph rollover.

Not looking at another Ranger.  The new Rangers have been completely redesigned--much bigger than what I am used to..  I've been driving a pickup for about 20 years now and am looking for something different.  I'm figuring that whatever I get will likely be my last vehicle.

Tascosa and Blackwater said it right and I've said the same thing.

The machine is steel and glass and rubber and plastic and it can be fixed or replaced.

Only one of YOU has ever been, or ever will be:  in all of infinity, all of eternity, all of Creation itself, only one of YOU.

The machine kept you alive when the road tried to kill you.

It did its job.

Wow, glad you made it out in one piece. I hope you find the ideal replacement for the vehicle, and that insurance is generous.

My wife did a 360, Followed by a 180 restarted the car turned it around and proceeded on down the highway ,,,,, now going somewhat slower ….

My son James made the comment "you's a RACE CAR DRIVER "  he was all of three at the time ...

This was late at night, I was too sleepy to drive but awake ,,,,, more Awake after …. 

The girls just had Big eyes,,,, the Baby slept through it all ...

Up here We understand Snow and Ice ,,,, but sometimes get caught by surprise too ….

Jabez Cowboy

Glad to hear you're okay. As for your vehicle, those that are relatively narrow and high-centered will easily slide and lose control just driving over a snail in the road. I've got a Jeep XJ that will get away from me if I'm not careful every time it rains. All it takes is a puddle of water and a sharp corner.

Happy to hear you're okay!

Used to live in places that had Black Ice and I too hit a patch and went into the ditch.  Fortunately, I didn't flip.

Bet you're going to be sore for a while. :(

God bless the Good Samaritans!

Again, thank God nobody else was hurt and you're okay!!

howdy,

Sounds like you did ok...sorta.

IF you get a headache that is called a concussion and you need to be to a real hospital.

Friend of mine had a wreck, called me and we went to breakfast where he seemed totally fine.

Next day he had a headache, went to a little hospital, then to a real one.

In surgery that afternoon, had the top of his skull removed so his brain could swell

without killing him.  They froze the skull top and reinstalled it six months later.

He is all better now and back to work.  Just freakin  scary.

Best

CR

Archived