SASS Wire Forum

Did you give your favorite firearm a name?

Highwall

19 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

For the most part no. But I do have a 475 Wildey Magnum that I call “My Friend”.:D

(10 second bonus for anyone who gets the reference ;))

Assuming this is the 1974 version, and not the 2018 remake.

From 1975.  Remington 870 Police.  Combat shotgun.  Factory 20 inch barrel.

After-market RTRP (“plastic”) pistol grip adjustable length stock (all spacers removed), and a magazine extension.  It stays loaded with 00Buck and slugs.

I named it “Ol’ Painless”....... It’s the only weapon I have that has a name.

Cat Brules

It seems that just about any new, out-if-the-box gun, nowadays, gets a few names, none of them very nice.  Then, once I work them over enough and they get to working, they lose the names and just become guns.   After I accumulate a lot of them, many get named "Safe Queen".  Once in a rare while, one gets called "Sold", but that is rare. 

I don't name mine but I heard a shooter talking to his '87 a few weeks ago.  I didn't catch the name but it had something to do with the sun and the beach.

He must have had a fun time with it!

Blackfoot

Funny, my 87 gets that same talk pretty regularly.

Jax T

My hunting rifle is Curly because the first few deer I shot with it got down on the ground and did the curly shuffle. 

My truck is Twiggy.  Twiggy is the robot from Buck Rodgers who carried around Dr Theopolis. 

Those names were earned. 

Everything's got a name unless you just never talk about it.  Things don't need a made up name unless I have more than 1 of the same make and model.  My main mach pistols are right and left.  My backup main match pistols are either right and left or old and new.  I had to do that because I kept forgetting that the right pistol goes in the left hand, and the left pistol goes in the right hand.  I miss the targets when I get them mixed up. 

My '73 rifle is named Rose Ellen after Jed's wife on the Beverly Hillbillies.  No real reason other than I liked the name it popped into my head when I held the rifle for the first time. 

One of my new vaqueros was a gift from my wife years ago.  I love that pistol.  Its named Hildy (from the Ballad of Cable Hogue) and she refers to it as "the other woman". 

I have never named one, but they get names from friends and family.  When he was a young teen, my brother referred to my Lee Enfield no 4 as "Mule" (as in kicks like a...), and the name stuck.  My wife named my (oops, I mean her) Ruger Mk 2 "Little Sweet" about the same time as she claimed it as hers.  :rolleyes:

On 2/1/2020 at 8:30 PM, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

My engraved second gen with checked one piece ivories is called “the barbecue gun”, but other than that, For the most part any long gun I am carrying is called “Betsy” and any handgun is called “Roscoe.”  Makes things simple when you have a bunch of them.  On the other hand, if the gun came from a friend or family, especially one that has passed I often refer to it as theirs, e.g “Carl’s Sharps” or “EP’s Colt”.  

Must of stole that name Betsy  from Fess Parker;)   Yes, I'm definitely old enough to remember.  If you are not, think Davy Crockett.

i also consider these tools , ive never named them , only called them names on those rare occasions they failed me and  i lost my temper in my head , mostly i would only name my sharps if so inclined - so far not inclined , 

My Open-tops in .44 Special Are named " Buck " and  "Boom" ,,,  "Buck" goes in the right holster leaving the left for " Boom "....

I shoot FCD ,,,,,, so that might explain the Names ….

My Lowwall in .38 WCF is Named " Sweetheart " Cause she is gentle on the shoulder and Ladies and Kids love her ….

My highwall in .40-65 is " Far Talker " Because she reaches out there hard ….

Jabez Cowboy 

6 minutes ago, Fence Cutter said:

The only time my firearms have a name is when they miss a target......

My wife misses a Target unless she patronizes one every week! The mailman told me my wife has been named, The package lady! :unsure: 

I always intended on giving my firearms elegant names like  "Lady Antebellum, Rose Ann or Emily Sue or something like that but as I acquired  them over the years other names came to mind that trumped my original ideas and plans. You just have to go with your first instincts on things like this. So instead I have Quartrefoil, Fathand, Kit , Matte and Silverwood.:wacko:

My 87 is named Kindness.  I kill the targets with Kindness.  I'm currently shooting what was my backup 87 tho, so I suppose something different is in order.  Or I number them like Widder, 'cause there are others in the safe.

On 2/2/2020 at 10:45 AM, Buckshot Sheridan said:

Assuming this is the 1974 version, and not the 2018 remake.

On 2/2/2020 at 12:00 PM, Shooting Bull said:

BINGO!!! :D

(I’ve never seen the remake) 

There's a remake?

11 hours ago, Jess Money said:

I call my Vaquero's by the last two digits of their serial number. 

My old Savage Crackshot has a serial number starting with B00 so I named it Boo. :D

18 minutes ago, "Big Boston" said:

oCda34Y.jpg

You take a good picture.  If you ever do it again, the 5th card was a queen of hearts.  Also, the ace of spades was really an ace of diamonds, but I understand why people like to use all black cards.  This is the most believable account I found.  

According to a book by Western historian Carl W. Breihan, the cards were retrieved from the floor by a man named Neil Christy, who then passed them on to his son. The son, in turn, told Mr. Breihan of the composition of the hand. "Here is an exact identity of these cards as told to me by Christy's son: the ace of diamonds with a heel mark on it; the ace of clubs; the two black eights, clubs and spades, and the queen of hearts with a small drop of Hickok's blood on it."

Archived