SASS Wire Forum

Did you give your favorite firearm a name?

Highwall

William F. Cody named his Springfield .50 caliber trapdoor “Lucretia Borgia.”

I've seen names of rifles like "ole Betsy,  Marge, Widow Maker and Buckworth  to name a few. 

As for me I christened my High Wall Quartrefoil, the ancient meaning for good luck. 

How about you?

BTW my pickup truck is named Maggie M'gill. LOL

I don't know if this counts, but, most people would think at least one of my pistols are named b**ch.  Spotters will hear me say something like "b**ch you're high" or "stupid b**ch".   :lol:

All mine are called by their  birth right name instead of some other name:  Colt, Ruger, Uberti, Pedersoli, Stevens, Winchester, Ballard, Wurfflein,  Remington etc and then the caliber.  Show the firearm to someone who is not familiar to firearms calling it “ Suzy Q” and they will ask who made it and what caliber 

I call them "my guns". Although I differentiate them by saying " my pistols, left/right" , "my rifle", or " my shotgun".

No, I don’t have names for them but when I do my ‘before leaving the house’ pocket/edc check I will refer to my handgun as Mr. Smith or Mr. Colt depending on what pistol or revolver I’m currently carrying. 

Nope, inanimate objects don't need naming.  Their performance is a direct result of my input...  They've never displayed any sort of individuality, or self awareness.

I have a Colt 3rd Gen in .357 that I call, "The Saloon girl". She's been passed around to 4 or 5 of us pards and wound up in my hands for the second time. She's now found a home and she's my main match gun along with a 2nd Gen.

15 minutes ago, Griff said:

Nope, inanimate objects don't need naming. 

Maybe they don't, but we sometimes name them anyway. 

I call my Jeep "The Muddog", my Nissan pickup "Ole Reliable", and my wife calls her Durango "Bill".

My 1911 I call "Big Mouth".

YES,  sorta.

ALL my competition 97's are named 'Enchantress', and I have them numbered:

Enchantress #3,  #4,  #7  and #11.

As a side note, when I have a gun (any gun) that don't work, misfires, or is unreliable

and more valuable as a boat anchor or tomato stake, I call those..... DEMO.

Those that are reliable, work well and mostly used to help keep Fort Widder safe, I call them.....

MAGA, or sometimes Maggie.

..........Widder

I'm thinkin it was Tennessee Stud had a pair of 1911's named Heckle & Jeckle . But sometimes I think wrong ......

My main match pistol I named Colt. My other pistol I named the other Colt. 

But recently I’ve gotten back into shooting cap guns. My pair these days are an 1851 and a Leech and Rigdon. I call these guns Blue and Grey. They work well together when they aren’t fighting each other 

I don't but my wife has one.   I cut her 97 down to fit her.   When we pack up I used to ask if she had her baby sized 97..   it was shortened to just baby. 

I usually shoot 38-40, 44-40 then 32-20. Whenever I shoot the 32-20's ,,I just call them "The Girls". That's about as good as it gets.

10 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

For the most part no. But I do have a 475 Wildey Magnum that I call “My Friend”.:D

(10 second bonus for anyone who gets the reference ;))

wisdom would tell me that a pistol called "My Friend" is a famous 475 Wildey Mag

that belongs to the Legendary Shooting Bull of SASS fame.

;)

..........Widder

Wow, now I am feeling alone

ALL my cowboy guns have names. 

I do my best to be sure none are used more/less than the others (they might get jealous) so I rotate my use of them throughout the year for each match. 

Justice, Redemption, Shine, Truth, Light, Grace, Gramps and Two Dot are some of them.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

The only one I have a name for is my old goose gun. It’s a Remington SP 10 10 gauge I call Boomer...

Dropped  a pair of greater Canada geese with one shot with old Boomer

My engraved second gen with checked one piece ivories is called “the barbecue gun”, but other than that, For the most part any long gun I am carrying is called “Betsy” and any handgun is called “Roscoe.”  Makes things simple when you have a bunch of them.  On the other hand, if the gun came from a friend or family, especially one that has passed I often refer to it as theirs, e.g “Carl’s Sharps” or “EP’s Colt”.  

I have several pairs of ROAs, and the pair that I'm shooting now are named "Crystal" and "Tiffany" - named after my two favorite dancers.

My Ruger No 1 in 6mm has been dubbed "Elegantae". 

I don't give names to my firearms already with names like...

Vaquero

Bearcat

Anaconda

International

I name them all. My shotgun I named "Company". I was reading a western by Ralph Cotton. and one of the characters was a sheriff toten around a hammer double shotgun. In one scene he sneaks up on the outlaw and states "Don't move this is Sheriff Coots & Company and right now Company is pointed at your head"!

Had my shotgun engraved by Drifter

Chili Pepper Kid & Company.jpg

100_0546.jpg

One of my model 97s is named Jezebel.  She seems to work well when loaned to another shooter but invariably gives me a problem.  

My Uberti lever action is named Gene because that is the name of the person I bought it from.

My carry gun is named Nancy--as in Nancy Carry Gun (Kerrigan)

8 minutes ago, Outrider Outlaw said:

One of my model 97s is named Jezebel.  She seems to work well when loaned to another shooter but invariably gives me a problem.  

My Uberti lever action is named Gene because that is the name of the person I bought it from.

My carry gun is named Nancy--as in Nancy Carry Gun (Kerrigan)

I have one named Tanya Harding. Better tell Nancy to watch her knee caps

Archived