SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873 .40-40 for $799?

razorseal

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, razorseal said:

I'm having a hard time finding a retailer that has a 44-40 saa in 5.5 inch barrel... Def not the popular caliber lol

The .44-40 is the 3rd most popular cartridge in this game, behind the .38 and .45 Colt. Retailers don't carry them much because everybody wants a large capacity 9mm or .40 S&W to go to the range and blaze away with. The retailers that do carry single actions stock .38/.357 or .45 Colt because that's what sells. Unless a dealer's target group is Cowboy Action shooters, they're not going to carry many single action revolvers, if any, and probably NO .44-40's or .38-40's.

18 minutes ago, razorseal said:

What was the common barrel length carried? 5.5 or 7.5?

The 7 1/2" barrel length was, by far, the most common in the 1800's.

1 minute ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

The .44-40 is the 3rd most popular cartridge in this game, behind the .38 and .45 Colt. Retailers don't carry them much because everybody wants a large capacity 9mm or .40 S&W to go to the range and blaze away with. The retailers that do carry single actions stock .38/.357 or .45 Colt because that's what sells. Unless a dealer's target group is Cowboy Action shooters, they're not going to carry many single action revolvers, if any, and probably NO .44-40's or .38-40's.

The 7 1/2" barrel length was, by far, the most common in the 1800's.

OK, so I should be looking st 7.5 inch barrels. Is that what's also common at matches? 

And yes I noticed that. 38 seems very popular due to cost... 

Very few people shoot 7 1/2"ers for CAS. Notable exceptions are those who have chosen a cavalry persona for their alias, cap & ball shooters, and Deuce Stevens. :lol:

16 minutes ago, Burn Through said:

you will want to shoot both before you buy … 7,5 is not the most common at a match but it might be what you like ? 5.5 and 4.75 are the norm but that might be to short for your liking

Gotcha.

How come 5.5 is preferred over 7. 5 harder to draw? 

It's hard to find a place to get to shoot one. And I hate asking people I don't know to shoot their gun. It's like asking someone to test drive their car. Lol

17 minutes ago, razorseal said:

Gotcha.

How come 5.5 is preferred over 7. 5 harder to draw? 

It's hard to find a place to get to shoot one. And I hate asking people I don't know to shoot their gun. It's like asking someone to test drive their car. Lol

If you go to a match you won't have to ask, folks will fall all over themselves and each other to get you to shoot their guns.

55 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

If you go to a match you won't have to ask, folks will fall all over themselves and each other to get you to shoot their guns.

Very interesting. Pretty friendly... Not like that in other shooting sports 

4 minutes ago, razorseal said:

Very interesting. Pretty friendly... Not like that in other shooting sports 

Definitely not like other shooting sports.

I've seen folks in the same category share guns because one of them had one break during a match.

I figure I've got 35-40000 friends scattered across the world.

On 2/3/2020 at 3:24 PM, Savvy Jack said:

The 44-40 is not hard to load. It does have it's quirks but easy to overcome if you are prepared.

Reusing 44-40 brass will last forever with cowboy loads if you do not over work the brass...i.e. use the correct dies for the correct diameter bullets.

It will take you shooting about 1,000 rounds to break even after buying the basics...turret press, tumbler, bulk bullets, primers, powder etc. Once you get hooked, it is a money pit because then you start buying everything related!!!

If you are just starting out loading the 44-40 I suggest a single stage or a turret press to be used as a single stage till you get used to it. Use .428 Magma bullets and at least RCBS "Cowboy" dies. These dies resize for the .428/.429 bullets rather than the .427 bullets like Lee dies. Learn to use the roll crimp stage in the seating die and it will aid in longer case life rather than using a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Set the roll crimp die to crimp the longest case you have to prevent case mouth crushing. The Magma bullets have a nice crimp grove for a roll crimp.

if using black powder, I suggest the "Big Lube" bullets and the LFCD. Once you play around with the options, you can decide which one you like best.

https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester/

What do you think of this....

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011629373?pid=414634 (Does this have the roll crimp? I'm not familiar with crimping)

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101074257?pid=733718 (I can't find that .428 Magma Bullet)

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2184418923 

I have to figure out how to set crimping and all...

If I don't collect the brass after, it actually gets pretty pricey!

image.thumb.png.67f45bff1819abc13a635bf70dd4b985.png

I love the 44-40 as a black powder cartridge.  Almost all of my SASS rifles are chambered in 44-40.  I tried a pair of Cimarron Pietta revolvers in 44-40 for a little while but ended up selling them off to fund percussion cap guns. 

While having a common caliber for both rifle and pistol sounds appealing you might want to consider a pair of 38/357 revolvers.  The 38s are cheaper to reload for and the calibers are so different in size you won't be able to mix the ammo at the loading table.  The 38cal guns are also a lot easier to find and typically have better resale value should you want to change to something else as you get more familiar with the game.

outlaw bullets has good prices on bullets , 200 gr. for 44-40 are 35.00 for 500, also when you buy brass that cost doesn't happen but 1 time ……..but he also sells 38 cal bullets for 25.00 for 500... so you would save 10 bucks on 500 reloading 38s over 44-40..... 

1 hour ago, razorseal said:

What do you think of this....

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011629373?pid=414634 (Does this have the roll crimp? I'm not familiar with crimping)

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101074257?pid=733718 (I can't find that .428 Magma Bullet)

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2184418923 

I have to figure out how to set crimping and all...

If I don't collect the brass after, it actually gets pretty pricey!

Yes, it gets costly with brass issues but once you use the brass at what point do we consider the brass free? Half price each reuse?

Those RCBS Cowboy dies will work fine and the bullet seating die does a fine roll crimp.

Those bullets are of the Magma design. (Magma Engineering) who sells industrial bullet molds. Most industrial casters call them different names like Oregon Trail's Laser Cast.

Unique is a popular powder for the larger black powder cartridges. Use caution and make sure you do not accidentally drop a" double charge". 12gr of Unique with a 200gr Magma by ACME gave me 21,786psi and 1,635fps in my 20" "testing" platform. That is in excess of 25,000cup. Not safe for the 73' or revolvers.

Driftwood Johnson can really explain the roll crimp method for the thin mouth 44-40 cases. The roll crimp needs to be "completed" before the case mouth touches the bottom of the crimp groove ledge that is exposed and hangs over the crimp.

Case Crumpling Issues - https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester/handloading/crumpled-cases

In the image below, note the "gap" between the top of the roll crimp and the bullet crimp groove ledge...(bottom of the exposed driving band). If the roll crimp is too harsh, it can cause a little "bulge" (note the arrow) and may not chamber when using .430 bullets.

1 (3) - Copy.jpg

38 minutes ago, Burn Through said:

outlaw bullets has good prices on bullets , 200 gr. for 44-40 are 35.00 for 500, also when you buy brass that cost doesn't happen but 1 time ……..but he also sells 38 cal bullets for 25.00 for 500... so you would save 10 bucks on 500 reloading 38s over 44-40..... 

Yes, those are good too and they are Magma bullets.

So can you explain why some guns prefer .427, some .428 and some .429?

I believe original guns preferred .427, but modern clones is .428? Is this really measurable with lead cast bullets? thousandths of an inch? does that much really make a difference?

4 minutes ago, razorseal said:

So can you explain why some guns prefer .427, some .428 and some .429?

I believe original guns preferred .427, but modern clones is .428? Is this really measurable with lead cast bullets? thousandths of an inch? does that much really make a difference?

Some early 44-40's had bores as small as .424 and as large as .433 that I have seen.

Archived