SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873 .40-40 for $799?

razorseal

Put that 44-40 in a credit card. You'll have your check by the time you get the bill ....... ;)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Uberti and Pietta both make SAA in 44-40. I personally prefer Pietta from EMF firearms, their Californian model is very close to a Gen II Colt.

Taylor's and Company has the Smoke Wagons in 44WCF listed. 

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-guns/cartridge-revolvers/the-smoke-wagon/the-smoke-wagon.html

18 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Taylor's and Company has the Smoke Wagons in 44WCF listed. 

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-guns/cartridge-revolvers/the-smoke-wagon/the-smoke-wagon.html

Do the Smoke Wagons have retractable firing pins?

2 hours ago, razorseal said:

Quick google shows there are no .44-40 Pietas for sale as far as I can see

Pietta doesnt operate in the US under their name. they own EMF now and sell through them and other importers like Taylors & Co, Traditions, and Cimarron. The last 3 use both pietta and uberti. it just depends on what model you get on which manufacturer it is. But I'm thinking all of the EMF revolvers are piettas

4 hours ago, razorseal said:

I'm in South Florida. I believe there is some stuff in Okeechobee County and Broward County for CAS.

Gotcha, so I should look for a EMF Californian. 

How many rounds are used at sass matches? Approx. 

6 minutes ago, razorseal said:

Gotcha, so I should look for a EMF Californian. 

How many rounds are used at sass matches? Approx. 

That's what I recommend:

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/-Californian-c65.htm

10 rifle,

10 revolver,

4+ shotgun,

per stage. So a 5 stage match would be 50 rifle, 50 revolver, and around 25 shotgun.

2 hours ago, razorseal said:

oh god, wife gonna kill me :D

Remember it's easier to beg forgiveness, than to get permission.      GW 

6 hours ago, razorseal said:

Quick google shows there are no .44-40 Pietas for sale as far as I can see

Cimarron carries the Pietta Frontier in 44-40, both pre-war frame and BP frame.

Not real common, but not all that scarce either - you see 'em at matches fairly regularly. I had a pair of Uberti .44-40 Wells Fargo Schofields for several years, but seldom shot them, so I sold them here a couple months back. Then I came across a very decently priced set of #3 Russians a week back and bought them. :rolleyes: :lol: I shot one a couple stages today, and the other one should arrive tomorrow. Talk about clumsy to shoot, lol.

S&Wno3.jpg

Did anyone mention that 44-40 is difficult to find at the ammo sources. Unless you reload, I have a 44-40 73 and I reload. It's one of the great black powder cartridges should you ever decide to shoot BP.

I have a pair of 44=40 Schofield's. Seldom shoot them. They don't like black powder at all. I shoot dualist and the hammer is very high. It's a better two handed shooter. Not competitive unless there's reloads every stage!. But style points are great.

Ike

Thanks for that. I like the break open style. I would think it'd make loading so much easier... I'm talking from not cas point of view, but in wars, combat, history etc. I watched a documentary on the pistol. It was interesting. If they were able to make a 45 colt version of it, I think this might have been the winner... The shorter 45 round this shot made a logistics nightmare for army. The colt could shoot both, so guess what army went with... 

I read the hammer is very hard to reach without readjusting grip unless you have very large hands. Also read how some people's cylinders opened midfire cuz they accodently actuated it. 

I just love the mechanism of automatically ejecting all shells then resetting the ejector once fully open. How cool... But they're expensive. 

I will decide what to get soon. I am not in this for the competition or winning matches, I just want to shoot and have fun with a gun I like! Maybe I'll get one of both... Hehe

I do want to get a 44-40 pistol though, so I don't have 2 diff calibers. 

Well guys, I got the rifle! 

Got raped with a box of ammo at 45 dollars too, but I want to shoot it tomorrow.... I found the same box for 28 dollars online. Shame. 

I'll have to see how much sense it'll make to reload it. How much will I save per round kinda thing. 

I cleaned up the packing grease/oil gunk and put touch of gun grease on the cam pins (I think it will help with smoothing out stuff) I sure hope she shoots well for me and I don't have to mess with sights! 

20200203_104213.jpg

20200203_103845.jpg

2 minutes ago, razorseal said:

Well guys, I got the rifle! 

Got raped with a box of ammo at 45 dollars too, but I want to shoot it tomorrow.... I found the same box for 28 dollars online. Shame. 

I'll have to see how much sense it'll make to reload it. How much will I save per round kinda thing. 

I cleaned up the packing grease/oil gunk and put touch of gun grease on the cam pins (I think it will help with smoothing out stuff) I sure hope she shoots well for me and I don't have to mess with sights! 

20200203_104213.jpg

20200203_103845.jpg

Good score. Save that brass after you shoot the rifle. $45 is a lot for ammo, but if you are able to use the brass a few times it will help with the cost, as will that smile on your face after shooting it. Keep us posted

10 minutes ago, razorseal said:

Thanks for that. I like the break open style. I would think it'd make loading so much easier... I'm talking from not cas point of view, but in wars, combat, history etc. I watched a documentary on the pistol. It was interesting. If they were able to make a 45 colt version of it, I think this might have been the winner... The shorter 45 round this shot made a logistics nightmare for army. The colt could shoot both, so guess what army went with... 

I read the hammer is very hard to reach without readjusting grip unless you have very large hands. Also read how some people's cylinders opened midfire cuz they accodently actuated it. 

I just love the mechanism of automatically ejecting all shells then resetting the ejector once fully open. How cool... But they're expensive. 

I will decide what to get soon. I am not in this for the competition or winning matches, I just want to shoot and have fun with a gun I like! Maybe I'll get one of both... Hehe

I do want to get a 44-40 pistol though, so I don't have 2 diff calibers. 

The Russian model is about impossible to pop open under recoil or to accidentally actuate it because there is a notch in the hammer that fits over a projection on the latch when the hammer is down. While the Schofield is somewhat clumsy to cock and shoot one-handed, the Russian is even worse. 

44Russian.jpg

Great deal, good thing you got it, I was gonna ask where this was. I need another one of those. If you stick with 1 brand of brass (I use starline) reloading 44-40 is not near as difficult as some say it is. Ya gotta search a little but there are plenty of pistols out there, I have 7 pistols and 2 rifles so far. Enjoy!

1 minute ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

The Russian model is about impossible to pop open under recoil or to accidentally actuate it because there is a notch in the hammer that fits over a projection on the latch when the hammer is down. While the Schofield is somewhat clumsy to cock and shoot one-handed, the Russian is even worse. 

44Russian.jpg

I would think that'd be so easy to accidently open. When cocking, you could "thumb" that instead of hammer? 

And yes, I read the hump makes it very hard to cock on Russian. 

I have to wield one to see how I'd do, I have big hands, but not mammoth hands. 

Imagine being in the good ol wild west and u gotta take cover and reload? This thing would be so easy to reload compared to a saa. Lol

Or imagine if cas required a one time reload on revolvers, with quick reloaders allowed. Lol

15 minutes ago, Ranger Dan said:

Great deal, good thing you got it, I was gonna ask where this was. I need another one of those. If you stick with 1 brand of brass (I use starline) reloading 44-40 is not near as difficult as some say it is. Ya gotta search a little but there are plenty of pistols out there, I have 7 pistols and 2 rifles so far. Enjoy!

Yup, hoping to have a good time. Need a pistol and holster now! 

Suggestions on where to get holsters? I was looking at etsy. There are some nice handmade holsters there. 

And what's so hard to load with with these compared to 45 colt? I thought 44-40 had a shoulder, but I was wrong. Looks straight casing like a 45 colt 

3 minutes ago, razorseal said:

I would think that'd be so easy to accidently open. When cocking, you could "thumb" that instead of hammer? 

And yes, I read the hump makes it very hard to cock on Russian. 

I have to wield one to see how I'd do, I have big hands, but not mammoth hands. 

Imagine being in the good ol wild west and u gotta take cover and reload? This thing would be so easy to reload compared to a saa. Lol

Or imagine if cas required a one time reload on revolvers, with quick reloaders allowed. Lol

The Schofield latch is mounted on the frame and pulls back to unlock. The Russian latch is on the top strap and pushes up to unlock. The latch is locked in place by the hammer, and can't be pushed up unless the hammer is pulled back.

9 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

The Schofield latch is mounted on the frame and pulls back to unlock. The Russian latch is on the top strap and pushes up to unlock. The latch is locked in place by the hammer, and can't be pushed up unless the hammer is pulled back.

Got it! Thanks! 

I read that story here btw, I'm not making it up lol

18 minutes ago, razorseal said:

Suggestions on where to get holsters? I was looking at etsy. There are some nice handmade holsters there. 

And what's so hard to load with with these compared to 45 colt? I thought 44-40 had a shoulder, but I was wrong. Looks straight casing like a 45 colt 

There is a shoulder. If you are looking at new brass made by starline they form it without a shoulder and it fire forms the first time you shoot it. It's not much of a shoulder but it's there. As for holsters, etsy, ebay, all over, just search western holsters. If you want quality though, it can get expensive. The Classified section on here usually has good deals.

41 minutes ago, razorseal said:

The 44-40 is not hard to load. It does have it's quirks but easy to overcome if you are prepared.

Reusing 44-40 brass will last forever with cowboy loads if you do not over work the brass...i.e. use the correct dies for the correct diameter bullets.

It will take you shooting about 1,000 rounds to break even after buying the basics...turret press, tumbler, bulk bullets, primers, powder etc. Once you get hooked, it is a money pit because then you start buying everything related!!!

If you are just starting out loading the 44-40 I suggest a single stage or a turret press to be used as a single stage till you get used to it. Use .428 Magma bullets and at least RCBS "Cowboy" dies. These dies resize for the .428/.429 bullets rather than the .427 bullets like Lee dies. Learn to use the roll crimp stage in the seating die and it will aid in longer case life rather than using a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Set the roll crimp die to crimp the longest case you have to prevent case mouth crushing. The Magma bullets have a nice crimp grove for a roll crimp.

if using black powder, I suggest the "Big Lube" bullets and the LFCD. Once you play around with the options, you can decide which one you like best.

https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester/

2 hours ago, Savvy Jack said:

The 44-40 is not hard to load. It does have it's quirks but easy to overcome if you are prepared.

Reusing 44-40 brass will last forever with cowboy loads if you do not over work the brass...i.e. use the correct dies for the correct diameter bullets.

It will take you shooting about 1,000 rounds to break even after buying the basics...turret press, tumbler, bulk bullets, primers, powder etc. Once you get hooked, it is a money pit because then you start buying everything related!!!

If you are just starting out loading the 44-40 I suggest a single stage or a turret press to be used as a single stage till you get used to it. Use .428 Magma bullets and at least RCBS "Cowboy" dies. These dies resize for the .428/.429 bullets rather than the .427 bullets like Lee dies. Learn to use the roll crimp stage in the seating die and it will aid in longer case life rather than using a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Set the roll crimp die to crimp the longest case you have to prevent case mouth crushing. The Magma bullets have a nice crimp grove for a roll crimp.

if using black powder, I suggest the "Big Lube" bullets and the LFCD. Once you play around with the options, you can decide which one you like best.

https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester/

I already have everything. I do precision 30.06 rounds. Lee single stage but I she powder trickler and all. A multi stage would help but all I have is a single stage. 

I'll look at midway for the reloading dies and post here. You guys let me know what you think. If I can keep cost to 20 cents a round, great. It's about 60 cents if purchased online so that'll save money.

We gotta find me a 44-40 pistol now! 

9 minutes ago, razorseal said:

I'll look at midway for the reloading dies and post here. You guys let me know what you think. If I can keep cost to 20 cents a round, great. It's about 60 cents if purchased online so that'll save money.

Smooth sailing from here out then!!!!

According to the load calculator....not counting you newly obtained brass since you already paid for it as a cartridge package....

Powder - $20 - 1lb.......6gr charge per cartridge case....say like Unique.

Primers - $34.00 - 1000 count

Bullets - $100 - 1,000 count  (I cast my own)

Brass - no charge for once fired as a cartridge 

$0.151 each per 1,000

With my own cast bullets - $.0.07 each

Add a little extra for lube of your choice.

Learn on the single stage you have then migrate to the turret or progressive.

I finally messed up my bullet feeder (so it has been removed) but I love taking it slow with my modified Green Machine and the 44-40.

2 hours ago, Northwoods Drifter said:

Great price for that rifle. You'd be hard pressed to find a used one at that price that wasn't beat up. Plus a pistol grip! Great score.

Thx! Hopefully it treats me well! 

47 minutes ago, Savvy Jack said:

Smooth sailing from here out then!!!!

According to the load calculator....not counting you newly obtained brass since you already paid for it as a cartridge package....

Powder - $20 - 1lb.......6gr charge per cartridge case....say like Unique.

Primers - $34.00 - 1000 count

Bullets - $100 - 1,000 count  (I cast my own)

Brass - no charge for once fired as a cartridge 

$0.151 each per 1,000

With my own cast bullets - $.0.07 each

Add a little extra for lube of your choice.

Learn on the single stage you have then migrate to the turret or progressive.

I finally messed up my bullet feeder (so it has been removed) but I love taking it slow with my modified Green Machine and the 44-40.

Does this use same primer as my 30-06? I'm not home now so I can't check. I have case lube too (and all other little things. 

2 minutes ago, Burn Through said:

hey , you can find a uberti pistol in 44-40 easy …..also for loading look for one shot lube spray. spray some on some  in a case flat roll around spray a little more then good to go  , no need to roll lube

There is a "cowboy guns" store in Orlando (about 2.5 to 3 hours away from me) I'll give them a call... 

Budsgun doesn't seem to have it in stock, or any other online store. Maybe cheaperthandirt 

Archived