SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873 .40-40 for $799?

razorseal

Hey guys,

I've recently been interested the old guns of the West. i want to get myself a set of affordable west firearms...

I've been doing some research and I'm considering an Uberti 1873 chambered in .44-40 that I found at a local shop for $799

I'm also interested in a Uberti SAA that is chambered in .45 colt.

so I guess this is a two part question.

1. $799 for sale for the uberti 1873 in .44-40 is a good price I think? Should I pull the trigger, no pun?

2. I was hoping for a matching set of weapons (preferably both in .45 colt) but it seems like I might not be able to do that with the sale lever rifle and .45 uberti... How important is this? Is it a highly demanded thing? I don't plan on doing any CAS shooting now, but I sure would be interested.

on an unrelated note, I want to get a .22 as well. That Ruger wrangler seemed like something I'd be interested in due to it's inexpensive price point.

I've considered a Henry as well, but I really like the side gate option. I don't like the tube loading.

Do you have any other rifles you can recommend for around 800-900 mark? preferably less. I don't see myself doing too much shooting with them. Probably just add to collection. Might see 100 rounds a year 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d be all over that, especially if you are considering shooting black powder in the future. 44-40 seals the chamber so that nothing gets in the action. It’s great. I also shoot 45 colt pistols most of the time. I just mark the rounds with different color markets to make sure I don’t mix them up. It’s really not that difficult to keep track. 

Depends on condition and configuration. The blued '73 .45 carbines can be had new for as little as $930 + shipping. Uberti Hombre .45's can be had new for as little as $380 + shipping.

3 hours ago, razorseal said:

I've considered a Henry as well, but I really like the side gate option. I don't like the tube loading.

I know of no lever action 22's that have a side gate loading, only tube loading

Additionally, since you are new to Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) something you may NOT have considered is the CALIBER of the weapons you ULTIMATELY will want to shoot in CAS. 

I KNOW that calibers .44-40 WCF (Winchester Center Fire) and the .45 Colt churn up romantic visions of the Old West in our minds.  Most CAS competitors shoot the .38 Special cartridge instead, for a variety of reasons.  Many or most CAS weapons are chambered in .357 Magnum.  But, .38 Special is directly interchangeable and will  chamber in the .357 Magnum guns’ longer cylinders.  OF COURSE, if the gun is chambered for .38 Special, the .357 Magnum cartridge is too long to interchange into the shorter .38 Special cylinder chambers.

The biggest reasons that most CAS competitors shoot .38 Special is largely due to economic and minimal recoil factors and a wide variety of proven reloading opportunities for the .38 Special cartridge.  Economics is arguably the biggest factor.

Do your research!   MY strong opinion is that you should stay away from the .45 Colt rifle and any .45 Colt revolvers you’ve been considering.  Unless of course, your attraction to the larger calibers is unshakable.  Speak to other shooters!  But, you will save a considerable sum in reloading costs, which you will almost certainly soon realize you must do in order to keep shooting.

Hopefully, other shooters will chime in here with more information.

Cat Brules 

2 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Additionally, since you are new to Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) something you may NOT have considered is the CALIBER of the weapons you ULTIMATELY will want to shoot in CAS. 

I KNOW that calibers .44-40 WCF (Winchester Center Fire) and the .45 Colt churn up romantic visions of the Old West in our minds.  Most CAS competitors shoot the .38 Special cartridge instead, for a variety of reasons.  Many or most CAS weapons are chambered in .357 Magnum.  But, .38 Special is directly interchangeable and will  chamber in the .357 Magnum guns’ longer cylinders.  OF COURSE, if the gun is chambered for .38 Special, the .357 Magnum cartridge is too long to interchange into the shorter .38 Special cylinder chambers.

The biggest reasons that most CAS competitors shoot .38 Special is largely due to economic and minimal recoil factors and a wide variety of proven reloading opportunities for the .38 Special cartridge.  Economics is arguably the biggest factor.

Do your research!   MY strong opinion is that you should stay away from the .45 Colt rifle and any .45 Colt revolvers you’ve been considering.  Unless of course, your attraction to the larger calibers is unshakable.  Speak to other shooters!  But, you will save a considerable sum in reloading costs, which you will almost certainly soon realize you must do in order to keep shooting.

Hopefully, other shooters will chime in here with more information.

Cat Brules 

You are correct with your reasons, however the OP said that he only plans on shooting 100 rounds/year and is more about collecting them.  I shoot .45 Colt in both rifle and pistol and load frontier cartridge, as long as it's not a lost brass match the reloading cost is minimal, the brass is the expensive part.. 

8 hours ago, razorseal said:

Hey guys,

I've recently been interested the old guns of the West. i want to get myself a set of affordable west firearms...

I've been doing some research and I'm considering an Uberti 1873 chambered in .44-40 that I found at a local shop for $799

I'm also interested in a Uberti SAA that is chambered in .45 colt.

so I guess this is a two part question.

1. $799 for sale for the uberti 1873 in .44-40 is a good price I think? Should I pull the trigger, no pun?

2. I was hoping for a matching set of weapons (preferably both in .45 colt) but it seems like I might not be able to do that with the sale lever rifle and .45 uberti... How important is this? Is it a highly demanded thing? I don't plan on doing any CAS shooting now, but I sure would be interested.

on an unrelated note, I want to get a .22 as well. That Ruger wrangler seemed like something I'd be interested in due to it's inexpensive price point.

Do you have any other rifles you can recommend for around 800-900 mark? preferably less. I don't see myself doing too much shooting with them. Probably just add to collection. Might see 100 rounds a year 

You seem to be asking for opinions that ARE NOT in the context of SASS. You don't shoot CAS and don't indicate heading in that direction. With that in mind, thinking generally as mostly a collector, the 44-40 would be nice to own and shoot. The ammo can be bought, no reloading required. I have some I think came from Georgia Arms, but I since reload my own.

The problem with any gun is that it may be a work in progress right from the box. It is generally better to buy a gun from the fellow who will be tuning it up for real use and to pay a bit more to have a good gun. Alternatively, you should probably head straight for your gunsmith after buying a new gun and then consider the added cost to have the gun be "right".

Historically, the 45 Colt was a pistol round, with the 44-40 being rifle or pistol, often both, so your combination seems authentic if not for competition.

14 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

You seem to be asking for opinions that ARE NOT in the context of SASS. You don't shoot CAS and don't indicate heading in that direction. With that in mind, thinking generally as mostly a collector, the 44-40 would be nice to own and shoot. The ammo can be bought, no reloading required. I have some I think came from Georgia Arms, but I since reload my own.

The problem with any gun is that it may be a work in progress right from the box. It is generally better to buy a gun from the fellow who will be tuning it up for real use and to pay a bit more to have a good gun. Alternatively, you should probably head straight for your gunsmith after buying a new gun and then consider the added cost to have the gun be "right".

Historically, the 45 Colt was a pistol round, with the 44-40 being rifle or pistol, often both, so your combination seems authentic if not for competition.

Yes, I don't know if I'd compete... I thought about 3 gun (modern) but just never got around to it. As much as I'm interested, it would probably just a gun I add to my collection. 

If I do compete, it would be an introduction and probably do it once or twice a year. 

So I'd say the original caliber is more important to me than how cheap 38 would be to shoot. 

I'm posting here on this forum because you guys are kmowledgabe in this area. The firearm forums I frequent don't have anything to say about old western weapons. 

For the record, I can reload if needed, but I don't like to. I have a single press for my precision rifle that I load. I have a powder trickler and all. Decent setup... But like I said, I'd prefer to be shooting and not loading. I don't mind buying a few boxes to enjoy at the range. I see 44-40 is around 30 dollars. 

How about a Henry big boy for around 800? No side gate but as far as quality VS a uberti 73 clone? 

OP that 44-40 should be a bargain, it has a pistol grip (more expensive) so that is a very good price, You really can't own too many guns, I own most of the calibers legal for SASS and a lot that are not. Don't let the fact that you may not shoot a particular type of shooting discourage you from buying what should be a really nice firearm. Let us know how this turns out.

kR

2 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

OP that 44-40 should be a bargain, it has a pistol grip (more expensive) so that is a very good price, You really can't own too many guns, I own most of the calibers legal for SASS and a lot that are not. Don't let the fact that you may not shoot a particular type of shooting discourage you from buying what should be a really nice firearm. Let us know how this turns out.

kR

Well, I sure hope it's there for another week because I can't get it until a check clears towards my toy fund which i've used on vacation, boots and a stetson in the past couple weeks lol

3 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

You'd have to ask the OP how he heard of SASS, or why he's here, I couldn't tell you.

I'm here because when you Google similar questions (45 VS 40-40, what lever gun etc) this is the primary source of results. It's active and good info here

A few thoughts:

1. Ruger Wrangers could be shot in a CAS side match should you decide to compete in the future.  One would also be good for practise.
  2.  A single stage press is plenty adequate to crank out enough revolver ammo for a couple matches a year.   I started out with one and a set of used dies I bought to $10.
  3. You didn't mention a shotgun.  However you could borrow one at matches.  Just bring factory ammunition for it.

21 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

A few thoughts:

1. Ruger Wrangers could be shot in a CAS side match should you decide to compete in the future.  One would also be good for practise.
  2.  A single stage press is plenty adequate to crank out enough revolver ammo for a couple matches a year.   I started out with one and a set of used dies I bought to $10.
  3. You didn't mention a shotgun.  However you could borrow one at matches.  Just bring factory ammunition for it.

Funny you say that, I thought about it earlier, I'd have to do some research on that as I'm not very familiar with shotguns from that Era. 

I like the wrangler because I've been wanting a 22, they're inexpensive and you can shoot all sorts of ammo, and it satisfies my single action want. 

5 minutes ago, razorseal said:

Funny you say that, I thought about it earlier, I'd have to do some research on that as I'm not very familiar with shotguns from that Era. 

I like the wrangler because I've been wanting a 22, they're inexpensive and you can shoot all sorts of ammo, and it satisfies my single action want. 

If you are primarily collecting, look at mule-eared, side-by-side shotguns or 1887 lever action shotguns (like Schwarzenneger  used in one of the Terminator movies).  Replicas are available for both shotguns.

1 hour ago, razorseal said:

I'm here because when you Google similar questions (45 VS 40-40, what lever gun etc) this is the primary source of results. It's active and good info here

There are lots of very knowledgeable folks here that are willing to share and help as you can see.  CAS is like that all over,especially at matches.  if you haven't been to one you owe it to yourself.  Just let someone know your there and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how you're treated.

1 minute ago, Tequila Chase said:

There are lots of very knowledgeable folks here that are willing to share and help as you can see.  CAS is like that all over,especially at matches.  if you haven't been to one you owe it to yourself.  Just let someone know your there and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how you're treated.

There's a few around me, I'll have to go check it out! 

10 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Looks to me like the tag on the pictured rifle says $1095.  That would be more normal for a new '73.

Could have been some sort of sale going on.

1873onSale.jpg

1 minute ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Could have been some sort of sale going on.

1873onSale.jpg

It is a sale. I think it's their last one. that store doesn't really sell this kind of stuff much, so I think it's been sitting on shelf for a while. I sure hope it doesn't sell anytime soon because they won't do layaway on for sale guns. I asked if it'll still be for sale, and he said probably, I don't see it selling. lol

16 minutes ago, razorseal said:

hah, I just saw that after I posted that question. Got it... I wonder if any locals do it so I don't have to ship the gun out. I'd have to go to a CAS match and ask the folks probably

Where is local? Sorry if I missed that.

54 minutes ago, razorseal said:

Welcome!!

That's a great deal on that Uberti Model '73 in .44WCF!   While the Colt SAA was originally in .45 Colt, they were started producing them in .44-40 by 1877, so you would be "in the spirit" if you got the rifle and pistol in matching caliber, (if you wish).  Pietta make a very nice revolver, the EMF Great Western II, "Californian" in 44-40

If .45 Colt is your druthers for a pistol, that's fine too.  

The Ruger Wrangler is an excellent .22   As with all Ruger single-actions, it benefits from installing a lighter mainspring.

There are a lot of CAS clubs in Florida.  Heres a listing:  https://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Florida

Please don't hesitate the call or e-mail the contact person listed.  They'll be glad to give you information on local Cowboy Action Shooting.

Howdy

For what it's worth, I have been shooting 44-40 in my rifles and 45 Colt in my pistols for close to twenty years.

The reason is I started with an original antique Winchester Model 1892 and it was chambered for 44-40. Rifles were never chambered for 45 Colt until about the 1980s.

Another topic for another discussion.

1 hour ago, razorseal said:

I'd have to go to a CAS match and ask the folks probably

Excellent point. In fact, attend a few matches just to see what they are all about.

Preferably, attend a few matches before you buy any more guns.

7 minutes ago, McCandless said:

Welcome!!

That's a great deal on that Uberti Model '73 in .44WCF!   While the Colt SAA was originally in .45 Colt, they were started producing them in .44-40 by 1877, so you would be "in the spirit" if you got the rifle and pistol in matching caliber, (if you wish).  Pietta make a very nice revolver, the EMF Great Western II, "Californian" in 44-40

If .45 Colt is your druthers for a pistol, that's fine too.  

The Ruger Wrangler is an excellent .22   As with all Ruger single-actions, it benefits from installing a lighter mainspring.

There are a lot of CAS clubs in Florida.  Heres a listing:  https://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Florida

Please don't hesitate the call or e-mail the contact person listed.  They'll be glad to give you information on local Cowboy Action Shooting.

Thanks.

Yeah, I noticed that about the .45 colt not being available in a rifle until modern times.

I wanted to get a matching set which is why I was hoping for a matching caliber set... I see Uberti doesn't make a .44-40 SAA though. slightly dissapointing. I can look at other brands, but I wanted to keep the "duo".

I don't mind mixing calibers, but if I was a frontier, I'd probably prefer to keep same calibers for both my rifle and my revolver... But... I'm not a frontier, so...

13 minutes ago, razorseal said:

Thanks.

Yeah, I noticed that about the .45 colt not being available in a rifle until modern times.

I wanted to get a matching set which is why I was hoping for a matching caliber set... I see Uberti doesn't make a .44-40 SAA though. slightly dissapointing. I can look at other brands, but I wanted to keep the "duo".

I don't mind mixing calibers, but if I was a frontier, I'd probably prefer to keep same calibers for both my rifle and my revolver... But... I'm not a frontier, so...

Uberti and Pietta both make SAA in 44-40. I personally prefer Pietta from EMF firearms, their Californian model is very close to a Gen II Colt.

Archived