SASS Wire Forum

Coffee and New World History

Subdeacon Joe

Interesting quote about coffee.

“Just the other day, I was in my neighborhood Starbucks, waiting for the post office to open. I was enjoying a chocolatey cafe mocha when it occurred to me that to drink a mocha is to gulp down the entire history of the New World. From the Spanish exportation of Aztec cacao, and the Dutch invention of the chemical process for making cocoa, on down to the capitalist empire of Hershey, PA, and the lifestyle marketing of Seattle's Starbucks, the modern mocha is a bittersweet concoction of imperialism, genocide, invention, and consumerism served with whipped cream on top.”
― Sarah Vowell

Why would the self-deprecating Sarah Vowell call it “bittersweet”?

A “concoction of imperialism”?   She should thank the stars for American Imperialism!  She might otherwise be squatting in the dirt, grinding corn with a rock, and being raped every week by foul-smelling, armed “government” troops in some third world cesspool called “Little Rock”.

Cat Brules

Why would the self-deprecating Sarah Vowell call it “bittersweet”?

A “concoction of imperialism”?   She should thank the stars for American Imperialism!  She might otherwise be squatting in the dirt, grinding corn with a rock, and being raped every week by foul-smelling, armed “government” troops in some third world cesspool called “Little Rock”.

Cat Brules

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

I can understand (kinda sorta) her weird thoughts about chocolate, but what the hell does coffee have to do with the new world?

Since she was cogitating on her CAFE' mocha there is your coffee connection. Also the unbridled consumerism that led to the mass marketing of those confectionary beverages.

13 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Interesting quote about coffee.

“Just the other day, I was in my neighborhood Starbucks, waiting for the post office to open. I was enjoying a chocolatey cafe mocha when it occurred to me that to drink a mocha is to gulp down the entire history of the New World. From the Spanish exportation of Aztec cacao, and the Dutch invention of the chemical process for making cocoa, on down to the capitalist empire of Hershey, PA, and the lifestyle marketing of Seattle's Starbucks, the modern mocha is a bittersweet concoction of imperialism, genocide, invention, and consumerism served with whipped cream on top.”
― Sarah Vowell

SO, the next day she gulped down two of the same, while waiting for 6 illegals to wash and detail her car. ;):lol:

36 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

SO, the next day she gulped down two of the same, while waiting for 6 illegals to wash and detail her car. ;):lol:

Oh...you are SO wrong!  What an evil thing to say!

It only takes two to wash and detail the car.  Two more were doing her yard while their sisters were doing her housework.

Archived