SASS Wire Forum

Pistol grip vs straight stock

Tennessee Snuffy

One reason is that (for me) its easier to handle.  Another reason may be that the appearance is more in keeping with being “period” and ?easier to carry in a saddle scabbard(?).  Very often, if you go with stock checkering, it arrives with the “pistol grip” design, or whatever it’s called.....then, it has to go back.  Personally, I prefer the straight stock design, with no checkering.  But, likes and opinions vary.

Cat Brules

48 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

All my Uberti 73's are pistol grip, I went with them because of the checkered stocks. 

Randy

Yep...and more than likely one is shooting pistol grip shotgun so matching grips....well sort of.

Originals were mostly straight stock, but pistol grip was made as well, mostly special order I imagine.  One reason for not as many shooting the pistol grip is that they cost more than straight stock.  Since laser engravers can easily checker or otherwise engrave forends, less need for buying a checkered rifle.  And BTW, there are also straight stock Ubertis with checkering available (18").

49 minutes ago, Laramie said:

I have both and can't decide which I like best. 

Do you notice a difference when shooting them? I picked a buddies pistol grip 73' last weekend, I was kinda surprised that it didn't feel odd compared to my straight stock. 

Thanks,

Tully

i dont notice the change in shooting my 22s - i grew up with both always shot both and my hand seems to adjust - i think you might if you did not have a past with both , but im just guessing here as i dont , 

10 hours ago, Tully Mars said:

Do you notice a difference when shooting them? I picked a buddies pistol grip 73' last weekend, I was kinda surprised that it didn't feel odd compared to my straight stock. 

Thanks,

Tully

Not really.. they both seem equally comfortable to shoot. 

Stick with straight grip as the Demtards will be banning pistol grips next.:angry:

The British invented and perfected wing shooting.  The Brits prefer to shoot at birds with the hand on the shotgun's forend controlling the swing.  The straight grip stock was designed to intentionally "weaken" the shooter's dominant hand, to keep it from taking over control of the swing.  I guess when you are shooting at several hundred birds a day, it becomes important.  On rifles, I don't know.

For our game, get the one that looks and feels the best to you.

On January 31, 2020 at 5:19 PM, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

All my Uberti 73's are pistol grip, I went with them because of the checkered stocks. 

^^^^ this too..:rolleyes:

but I had been shooting a straight stock '66 and I couldn't plant

my cheek down on it to find sights.. Had to hold my chin against the stock:wacko:

My pistol grip '73 I can plant my cheek and I'm lined up with my sights..

Rance ;)

That's just my thinkin:huh::huh: 

I personally prefer the look of the straight grip (not as fancy). Ruger No 1 and No 3 compared. My 1885 straight is checkered so the feel is as good as a pistol grip in my experience. 

ruger-no3-rs-log-4221.thumb.jpg.e908b19f035017ceb8d1218ae0725b5d.jpg202437.thumb.jpg.010bf025979817085adbe54861aed1b8.jpg

I've only used pistol grip stocks on all three of my 73's only because I think they just look nicer. Have shot some stages with others straight stocks and noticed no real difference. Of course I've always had this thing for Mrs. Howel.

10 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

A PG stock helps in controlling torque twist in hvy recoiling guns.

OLG 

Agreed! I've not seen a  rifle in .458 mag or 50 caliber without pistol grips. But .22 Hornet? :unsure:

20 hours ago, Tennessee Snuffy said:

Thanks for all the good information.

And if you like to read further discussions about this topic, here's the thread from November

and this is the one from December

Btw, the more significant difference than pistol grip vs. straight stock is imho the crescent rifle style vs. the flatter carbine style butt stock plate.

Equanimous

Straight stock for scabbards with no checkering are best while horse packing/riding. Since only a few of us see the need, most lever rifles have checkered pistol grips. That's the same reason that high true riding boots with mule ears, small square toes, riding heels, spur and built up sole forward of the heel have largely disappeared.

first lever gun i bought, was sitting in the rack at the local sporting goods store (it had a straight stock and no checkering).

that’s been my preference ever since.

my first had a pistol grip , but that was a few lifetimes ago , im in your court - straight grip no checkering is what my eye goes to every time these days , as i mentioned i dont notice much when shooting but gotta love what you shoot - right? 

Archived