SASS Wire Forum

Gold and Silver coins

Rye Miles #13621

Are those commemorative gold and silver coins that are advertised on tv and magazines worth anything? Anyone collect them??

As stated by Capt. Callahan, they are typically plated, some are clad. They are not even worth melt value.

If you want to purchase silver or gold, your best buy are rounds. Coins are dated and have US markings or the country of origin. Rounds are not dated and will state 1 ounce .999 gold or silver or 1/2 ounce, whatever the weight. My local dealer charges 3% over melt value for gold and $2.00 per round for silver. If I purchase 100 ounce bars of silver it's 3% over melt value. No taxes, no tracking, it's considered and money exchange in the state of Wyoming. When silver goes back up to $50 an ounce I'll be unloading a bunch. Gold was down to $1330 about a year ago, when it get up to $1530 I unloaded mine, made $200 bucks an ounce. Metals are hard to predict. They went up with the saber rattling when Trump was working on the tariffs with China. Buy cheap, sell high.

I have silver for a hedge against inflation, also in case of a total economic collapse I can barter with silver. Gold is good for investing, however it's too valuable for barter.

I ain't trading and ounce of gold for a tank of gas, I could trade a could a couple ounces of silver for a tank of gas. 

I wouldn't waste money or time on them. 

Often I see the words "most highly collectible coin sold by this organization" That's usually and probably because it's the only coin sold by that organization.

14 minutes ago, Assassin said:

As stated by Capt. Callahan, they are typically plated, some are clad. They are not even worth melt value.

If you want to purchase silver or gold, your best buy are rounds. Coins are dated and have US markings or the country of origin. Rounds are not dated and will state 1 ounce .999 gold or silver or 1/2 ounce, whatever the weight. My local dealer charges 3% over melt value for gold and $2.00 per round for silver. If I purchase 100 ounce bars of silver it's 3% over melt value. No taxes, no tracking, it's considered and money exchange in the state of Wyoming. When silver goes back up to $50 an ounce I'll be unloading a bunch. Gold was down to $1330 about a year ago, when it get up to $1530 I unloaded mine, made $200 bucks an ounce. Metals are hard to predict. They went up with the saber rattling when Trump was working on the tariffs with China. Buy cheap, sell high.

I have silver for a hedge against inflation, also in case of a total economic collapse I can barter with silver. Gold is good for investing, however it's too valuable for barter.

I ain't trading and ounce of gold for a tank of gas, I could trade a could a couple ounces of silver for a tank of gas. 

I bought a bunch of "junk" silver coins from my dealer a few years ago for bullion price, and there were some REALLY nice old coins in it. He's a coin dealer so knows the value. Thing is some of them were minted in such huge numbers they're only worth silver weight unless in absolutely perfect condition. I expect someone with the gumption could sell them on E Bay for a handsome profit. 

Just now, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I bought a bunch of "junk" silver coins from my dealer a few years ago for bullion price, and there were some REALLY nice old coins in it. He's a coin dealer so knows the value. Thing is some of them were minted in such huge numbers they're only worth silver weight unless in absolutely perfect condition. I expect someone with the gumption could sell them on E Bay for a handsome profit. 

The melt value has basically reduced the numismatic value (collect ability)of the coins. If one were to keep them long enough they may become valuable again.

I sold off all of collectible coins and everything is just bullion. I had a bunch of silver dollars and other coins, they are basically 90% silver. 

I'm an avid numismatist and member of the American Numismatic Association.  My opinion is, no, they are not worth the price and no, they are not worth collecting.

The coins you are talking about are really just bullion stamped into interesting designs.  Rarely do they command any numismatic value, so their total value is based on the intrinsic value of the metal from which they are made (gold, silver, etc.).  That said, you typically pay a premium to have the metal stamped into a coin design versus a bar or ingot, and you will not recoup that cost upon reselling it.  

If you want to save wealth via collecting precious metals, stick with bullion bars and ingots.  If you want to collect coins for numismatics sake, there are *TONS* of better ways to get started. 

28 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

"Junk" silver is a numismatic term for an actual "business strike" (coin designed for use in commerce and minted by the government) silver coin that has become so worn that its numismatic value is limited.  Most of its worth comes from the intrinsic value of the base metal from which it is made.  

The OP was not asking about business strike coins; he was asking about commemoratives that are not legal tender.

Serious silver collectors own silver zombie rounds. :D

Zombie Silver Coins

1 hour ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

always wondered why , folks would buy gold and silver 

you can NOT eat it , and it don't shoot as well as lead 

it only has value to those , whom value it 

pretty well worthless if SHTF 

CB 

Not true, you can always melt them down and make bullets. The silver ones are good for Werewolves too.:ph34r:

On the other hand, I like collecting coins. Gives me a personal connection to the past. If it gives someone satisfaction, I got no problem with it.

1 hour ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

CB 

Must politely disagree. Real gold and silver will NEVER be worth nothing. Precious metals have an intrinsic value. I'm not a big nut over such things, not even saying that they're a fantastic investment, as just like stocks the value fluctuates. If the SHTF precious metals will probably go thru the roof, as it has an inherent  or intrinsic value. That's why US currency was once based on reserves of gold and silver reserves (like the old US silver certificate notes).  You could take the $5 silver certificate and exchange it for $5 worth of real metallic silver. Like Assassin said, silver would be much more suitable barter material than gold. 

JHC

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Not true, you can always melt them down and make bullets. The silver ones are good for Werewolves too.

Lead makes good bullets because it melts somewhere around 700 degrees Fahrenheit. Easy to use.

Silver melts at over 1,700 degrees. Little difficult to do that over a campfire.

Gold melts about 1950 degrees. Even more difficult.

An ounce of gold is always going to be worth what you paid for it.

Silver is a commercial commodity, but also, it remains a primary reservoir of value.

Either would have elevated trade value in some (imagined) post-breakdown of society or apocalyptic situation.  Silver probably easier to use than gold, due to its lesser value for lower value trades and possible collapse or discontinuation of money as a value resource.  We are not likely to see such happen anytime in the near future, in my view.

Cat Brules

5 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

CB 

I agree.  How much do you shave off for a loaf of bread...and whose scale do you use to weigh it?  And how much does all that treasure weigh?

1 hour ago, Cat Brules said:

An ounce of gold is always going to be worth what you paid for it.

Silver is a commercial commodity, but also, it remains a primary reservoir of value.

Either would have elevated trade value in some (imagined) post-breakdown of society or apocalyptic situation.  Silver probably easier to use than gold, due to its lesser value for lower value trades and possible collapse or discontinuation of money as a value resource.  We are not likely to see such happen anytime in the near future, in my view.

Cat Brules

Gold prices fluctuate like everything else. I bought my first couple coins too high and they're worth a couple hundred less than I paid for them (new American Eagles). I'm still kicking myself back when I was thinking of buying gold at $600 per ounce and thought that was crazy, it would NEVER stay that high. Shows what I know. :angry: I hope you're right about the economic collapse stuff. It will probably never happen, but it doesn't hurt to buy a little insurance just in case. Odds are my house will never burn to the ground, but I still buy insurance.

JHC Just checked the spot price on gold, around $1590 per ounce.

Archived