SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 73 throws brass forwards

Irish Pat

I don’t want to start all the mess about uberti and miroku again.  My Browning’s and Winchester are made in other countries and I call the by the name brand on the barrel.  Thanks for your suggest about just backing up

7 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

Flash tell me how you corrected the problem or if you can suggest someone 

Sorry, I don't know how and mine never threw them forward like yours. I have read some post on this and it makes sense that how hard the extractor holds the brass and what part of the carrier hits it first on the way up would determine where the empty will fly. I waited a while to chime in thinking someone with more knowledge would post but no-one did.

25 minutes ago, Flash said:

If I am not mistaken you will have to re-shape the top of your carrier to change where the brass flies. Mine throws them on my hat.

I have a 45 colt Uberti 1873 with and Octagonal barrel and my brass lands on my hat or at my feet. 

10 minutes ago, Son of the Midnight Star said:

I have a 45 colt Uberti 1873 with and Octagonal barrel and my brass lands on my hat or at my feet. 

The OP is referring to Winchesters made in Japan(Miroku).

I had an early Miroku Winchester 38/357 and the top of the Carrier was shaped pretty much like an Original or an Uberti Carrier

And it threw most all of the brass forward....

I now have two later production Miroku's and the top of the Carriers are shaped slightly differently, on the right side it's slightly rounded.

They throw  about 1/3 of the brass straight up about 1/3 of it to the right and most of the rest goes forward...........

So in short.... I don't have a clue how to fix the issue :huh:

My Ubertis and my Originals throw most of it on my Hat :D

Yep, the shape of the top of the carrier changes the way the brass goes.  Most of the cowboy  gunsmiths fix that when they prepare one for competition.   Take a look at some that have been worked,  you should see the difference.

Blackfoot

If you were to stamp Marlin on the side, would it throw the brass in a different direction? Asking for a friend. In all seriousness, they make a gun-mounted net that catches brass from an AR-style rifle. You would think some enterprising person would figure out one for a 73. I lose about 10% of my brass per match.

You would not want a net up on top of the frame that keeps you from seeing your sights!

AR's throw brass out the side of the action, and a net can work there.

Good luck, GJ

2 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

You would not want a net up on top of the frame that keeps you from seeing your sights!

AR's throw brass out the side of the action, and a net can work there.

Good luck, GJ

I didn't think about that... I guess I can switch to a sombrero.

I have a 73 Commanchero and a 66, both Uberti's in .38 (.357 for the 73) and they both spit out the empties pretty much straight up. Never did anything to make them do that, they just do that!-_-

It's fairly common, the video is how I fixed mine.  stock carrier on the left as the video starts, modified one on the right.  Go slow, Miroku 73 parts are unobtainium.  They now drop to my right at 3-4 o' clock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RY4pB59Qb0

I have experience this with several bolts and extractors.  Same rifle used to throw it back and now throws it forward (lose about 60 percent).  Rifle has always run great so I don't worry about it and shoot cheap brass at monthly matches I cannot retrieve it.  

Maybe the carrier since it also has been modified.  However, it does throw brass forward.

I’d be into trying something simple like tightening the extractor claw.  The harder it holds, the more your brass is likely to stop flopping forward.  My two 66s and only 73 both land my brass on my hat or just behind me.  

Can you drop a small screw or nail head into the spring channel (nothing that can’t be reversed).

On 1/31/2020 at 11:50 AM, Irish-Pat said:

I don’t want to start all the mess about uberti and miroku again.  My Browning’s and Winchester are made in other countries and I call the by the name brand on the barrel.  Thanks for your suggest about just backing up

Both are made buy the same company in Japan. 

They do outstanding work.

OLG 

2 hours ago, Fireball #7709 Life said:

It's fairly common, the video is how I fixed mine.  stock carrier on the left as the video starts, modified one on the right.  Go slow, Miroku 73 parts are unobtainium.  They now drop to my right at 3-4 o' clock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RY4pB59Qb0

Fireball, Is there supposed to be sound with that?

Or just follow the Pics.... 

It looks a lot like what was floating around in my imagination... But I was'nt brave enuf to  do it to one of mine :D

Now that you've volunteered your gun to be the Guinea Pig I think I'll give it a shot.

Fireball, I just did one of mine and on all the empties I tried, they all went straight up and back and landed on my Hat.

Mite need a little tweaking, but it looks Very Promising !!!!   I'll try it in a Shoot tomorrow, Thanks ;)

Archived