SASS Wire Forum

Intro and El Patron springs

No Name

First an introduction. Hello all, I am new here but have been reading and checking out threads. I want to get started in shooting cowboy action because it seems like fun and up my alley. Currently I have the two pistols, but still need the rifle, shotgun, and leather, alias, etc. but this is pricey to get started and I’m retired Army with five young kids still in the house so I have to work with my budget and get things when I can. So, long story longer, I’ve always liked older guns, especially if the old west variety. I bought the Uberti El Patron a couple of years ago and have enjoyed shooting it. This gun is supposed to be “tuned” from the factory and include Wolff springs. Two days ago I bought my second pistol, a Pietta Frontier. The Pietta has a noticeably lighter hammer pull and a similar trigger weight. Just because I was curious, I took off the grips to see the main springs. This is the El Patron main spring that is supposed to be Wolff. 

BCAFD31D-25F2-4405-923B-F7674295359F.jpeg.64b12e3f2726dac0f089f0a42ada7818.jpeg

and this is the Pietta main spring 6BDBC0B8-2F46-4133-8B37-9D1EC18651AE.jpeg.8f7aa66ba1625b3aeb3461d84e877f8b.jpeg

The Pietta spring is definitely thinner and lighter. So long way to my question, what Wolff springs are in the El Patron and if I got the Wolff main spring with the notch in the center will it lighten this up?  The trigger pull is great, I just want the hammer pull to be similar to the Pietta. Thank you for any help and sorry I didn’t get to the point quicker. 

First off, WELCOME to the best game there is.

Secondly, all of the Wolf springs I've seen have a slot in the middle instead of being narrowed like the one in your picture; in other words I don't think that's a Wolf. That looks more like a Gunslinger spring(you can get those at http://www.longhunt.com) or a VTI Gun Parts lightened spring.  Scratch that, The El Patron looks to have a factory mainspring and the Pietta looks like a VTI mainspring(link below).

Thirdly, go to a match BEFORE you buy anything else. Try stuff out, someone will likely let you borrow what you need for a bit.

Finally let us know a general location and we can probably suggest a mentor or clubs nearby.

Wolf Springs:

https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php?page=items&cID=3&mID=1&dID=96#402

Gunslinger Springs: *I like these best personally.

http://www.longhunt.com/storelh/index.php?route=product/product&path=88_89&product_id=265

VTI: https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=10&page=1&Keyword=SI:01016&category=all&highprice=0&lowprice=0&allwords=SI:01016&exact=&atleast=&without=&cprice=&searchfields=cname, cdescription, ccode

Please go to local matches before you buy anything else. Clubs and contact in your area is easily found in the SASS website. Seeing what is used and talking to the shooters will supply you with a wealth of knowledge and probably some loner guns and leather to get you started. Might even find a good deal on someone's backup they are willing to part with.

Oh Yeah!  Welcome

I bought the first gun before I even knew about SASS. I’ve been target shooting with it for over a year now and like the way it shoots. The Cimarron is very similar and got a good deal on, so I bought it already knowing I don’t want the Ruger. I plan on going to a local club, closest one is an hour away. I love outside of Waco, TX. Unfortunately budget is going to dictate much of my spending so that will narrow down what I buy whether I like something more expensive or not. I’m not new to shooting but I am new to this style so I will never pass up good information and knowledge of others. I am also a research maniac so I have a good idea of what I’ll be able to afford. So, in the end, my biggest focus is enjoying myself with being competitive always on my mind. 

FNG Welcome!  Way back when, they would cut a small square of leather with a hole in the center and place it under the end of the spring with the screw through the hole then snug the screw down. It gives a lighter spring pressure at almost no cost, completely removable and somewhat adjustable with screw tension. Worth a try. And now go get yourself a good hat.

Imis (my son lives in Robinson, not a CAS shooter, if you see him tell him HI)

Archived