SASS Wire Forum

trying to pass it on

Highwall

I have two daughters that grew up around firearms and enjoyed the shooting sports with me but once they left home and were on their own they drifted from it.

One married and my son-in-law became a Marine and a veteran of the Iraq war.  Although my hero and a tactical firearm enthusiast he showed no interest in the old western weapons or the culture. 

So now I have a grandson and so much want to expose him to the western history and firearms of that day. My daughter is all for it but my son-in-law has different plans.

He thinks multi-capacity rounds and semi-auto weapons are the way to go.  

My grandson will one day inherit my Vaquero, 45/70 Highwall and my .22 Crackshot but will he be able to appreciate them like I did? 

T Bone has the answer. Shoot a SASS match in the morning, eat lunch & then shoot PCC in the afternoon. 1 match fee - twice the fun !! 

:D:D:D

I grew up in the Virginia woods. Squirrel, rabbit, quail, duck and geese were always in our freezer due to a single shot 22 rifle and a JC Higgins 16 ga bolt action shotgun. I no longer have those guns as I sold them to pay for a rented tux for my senior prom.

When my sons were born I was always hopeful they would join me in the field. #1 son hunted with me until he got married and then that ended as the daughter in-law was "afraid" of guns.

I look at my safe of guns and each one brings back memories of hunting buddies, beautiful sunrises in a duck blind and wet/dirty dogs that would do anything to bring a bird back to me. It is a shame that those guns will not share those memories with either my son or his children.

The culture and the memories will probably and sadly fade with us.

55 minutes ago, MizPete said:

Yeah, I don't see the two being mutually exclusive.  Surely your SIL won't begrudge you some Granddad time?

I guess not! My SIL has even asked me to take his boy fishing since he has no interest in that sport either. 

I see Crappie in his future. :rolleyes:

Maybe work into old west guns by teaching your grandson the history of Kansas.  Kansas has a rich history of cattle towns, gunmen and lawmen, which would naturally lead into the guns they used.  As far as your SIL has he ever seen a lever gun running in the hands of an experienced shooter?  I'm guessing he'd be impressed with the speed and accuracy, then you could give him a challenge.  Ask him if he could beat the time with 10 rounds with an AR, he'll have a heck of a time doing it. 

My sons will inherit my guns, neither of them shoot very much and while they do love the SAA's they would never get into CAS. I have told them time and again how much my stuff is worth and have a written assessment of what I own. When I'm gone I can only hope they either enjoy them or sell 'em and buy something they like! You can only do so much. Once children become adults they have their own lives.

Grandpa time is the way to go. My son does not fish, but I take the two grandsons, 9 & 7, trout and crappie fishing and they love it. Although my son shoots he doesn't go often so I take the boys shooting. We shoot semi autos and single action pistols, bolt action and lever action rifles. I introduce them to them all. They love shooting, especially my buckaroo class cowboy guns ;).  Last fall I started taking the oldest one to cowboy shoots. He help pick up brass. Should have seen his face when we were all done and he received $52 in "tips". 

I tried to get my SIL interested in the western way. I asked him to watch the great classic movies with me like Shane, Once upon a time in the west, My name is nobody, Nevada Smith, one eyed Jacks, Lonesome Dove and all the Clint Eastwood and John Wayne films but he just wasn't interested.  I reckon you have to grow up in that film era to really appreciate it.  I think I've lived in the best generation. 

TV back then was....

Gunsmoke

Paladin

Wanted dead or alive

Trackdown

High Chaparral

Cheyenne 

Wyatt Earp

and many others

Time to tell on myself, when my father said he was going to start shoot CAS and SASS events I thought he went daft. I remember saying “Dad there has been soo many better guns made since 1873 why????”.  Now several thousand dollars later and too many smiles to count I’m in and so is my 11 year old daughter.  And as a jarhead I was stuck on that “tacticool” phase, but I haven’t had as much fun with an AR as I have with my 1873 Short Rifle. 

I guess I am lucky my one daughter cj still shoots cowboy the two  other shoot but not at matches , life got in the way the know which guns they get and have actually ask for certain ones

Mine will probably all be sold for pennies on the dollar at a garage sale.
I hope my wife does not sell them for what I told her I paid for 'em...

I don't live in a Free state, so transfer will be onerous at the very best.
Failure to transfer will put the recipient in a serious legal bind.

My middle daughter likes to shoot magnums, but we haven't done it in years.
She is consumed with her two daughters... every waking minute is soccer.
Their dad was killed by a cop, so neither has much interest in firearms.

I am starting to see the end of the trail in the distance.
It is sad to think that "my" treasures will wind up as so much junk and burden to somebody after I'm gone.

I have 1 grandson left... age 3, who might be interested.

My dad was a big cowboy gun fan, and when I was a kid I got cowboy cap guns and such (see my profile pic), but after I got a little older I wasn't really all that interested in it other than watching the movies. I liked the newer stuff, plus I got into front-stuffing. It wasn't until recently my heart drifted back to the old west, and I got serious about getting into CAS and such.

My point is, I wouldn't really worry too much. His tastes will change over time, but you can bet that he'll never forget grandpa and will likely love and cherish the passed down firearms regardless. ;)

Highwall,  I'm with Dude Slade. Only time will tell. Interest change as they grow older. We have had a couple youngsters in our club that were very good shooters. They stopped coming and I asked their dad's why. the answer, "Girls."

As for fishing, my one SIL is into fishing, the other, not so much. that was because his father wasn't into fishing and never took him. Took that g'son fishing and he was a total pain. Throwing rocks into the lake, pulling weeds, throwing dirt, etc... That was until they started biting. Then he was the perfect kid. After pulling in a nice Crappie, he turned to me and said, "Grampa, this is the best day ever!" My daughter told me I created a monster. He bugs them every day in the Summer to go fishing. He does a good job, too. I hope to take him on a Trout fishing trip in Arkansas, or Bass fishing in Missouri this Summer.

12 hours ago, Highwall said:

I tried to get my SIL interested in the western way. I asked him to watch the great classic movies with me like Shane, Once upon a time in the west, My name is nobody, Nevada Smith, one eyed Jacks, Lonesome Dove and all the Clint Eastwood and John Wayne films but he just wasn't interested.  I reckon you have to grow up in that film era to really appreciate it.  I think I've lived in the best generation. 

TV back then was....

Gunsmoke

Paladin

Wanted dead or alive

Trackdown

High Chaparral

Cheyenne 

Wyatt Earp

and many others

I wasn't into those shows either (although my dad controlled the TV and he watched them).  I did like "Spaghetti Westerns" (Clint Eastwood) though.

Nor, was I into shooting, until I met some of the people who shot CAS. I was never very athletic (broke my nose playing baseball) or into sports (except for snow and water skiing). I liked that CAS wasn't a team sport (as I wasn't very good at them and didn't want to hold anyone else back), we got together for lunch after matches, and wore costumes (I was always into clothes).

My point is that loving CAS isn't necessarily about movies or TV shows and its appeal can be for a variety of reasons.

My dad liked to hunt and fish but he was never a firearms enthusiast.  It was my grandpa's old American Riflemen Magazines that turned me into what I am.  I still remember 2 issues when AR did a huge spread on the first 2 End of Trails. 

Now I have a daughter who wants to move to a big city like seattle.  Can't will them to her if she's living like that.  My nephew turned out to not have an interest in guns.  I guess I'll just have to go on living forever. 

i like that living forever idea , let me know when you figure that out i want some advice on that , 

as to willing forward , we need to instill it a little at a time and let them come around to it , some things we just cant make happen , tell them your wishes and see where the conversation goes , im working on my kids and have my son on board , starting on grandkids - will have to bypass the daughter it seems , likes to shoot but cares little of the equipment 

sorry just realized that wasnt much help but it is what im trying to do , 

Just throwing out as food for thought.  4H has a program called Western Heritage.  We are just getting the ball rolling here in SD, but I think it is available in KS.  It is watered down SASS for 4H.  Along with the shooting there is history of the time and region.  May be another way to get a foot in the door??

Interesting topic... I love my modern guns, but something about feeling the action of a lever gun or the satisfying click of a saa is unique... I would say you either like it or you don't. 

I don't see myself taking a lever or a saa into battle, but I also don't see taking my 2nd generation corvette into a modern car race either. 

Each is a unique acquired taste.

On 1/31/2020 at 6:43 PM, watab kid said:

i like that living forever idea , let me know when you figure that out i want some advice on that

It's easy.  I found a support group and we have monthly meetings.  As long as you keep making those meetings you'll live forever.  You can start your own if there's not already a club in your area.  Mostly we just hang around and show off our guns at our meetings.  It doesn't matter what you discuss as long as you keep showing up. 

Guess I am luckier than some. Most of my kids and grandkids are interested in hunting and fishing. I think my one son and grandson are going to start shooting cowboy this summer. Be using my guns...but at least getting them started. If I can get the other son and future daughter-in-law to a match or two...may have more shooting 

I would like to do this also... but grand daughters 12 and 16 are consumed with soccer.
Last grandson is only age 3.

I have a pair of Bisley Single Six, Henry Frontier ready for one of them to shoot Buckaroo.
No takers yet.

Archived