Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frederick Jackson Turner

SASS; the Middle Ages...

Recommended Posts

Is it bad that I’ve been to some of those ranges and know at least 2 shooters from each photo?  Miss seeing you FJT. Let me know if you’re ever in the Sacramento area. We’ll make some music and drink some bourbon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Frederick Jackson Turner said:

 

That would be Wild Bill, indeed!  Fun time back east; we all had a hoot!

 

Cheers,

FJT

I haven't shot back there for a while but it was good times. Driftwood and WBB are entertaining to say the least. Cap'n Morgan Rum ran a pretty darn good shoot and always had a bunch of good folks in attendance.

kR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At EOT in 98 Vitivouri Kid drove a golf cart into the tent during the banquet, he was doing donuts on the parket dance floor.

I believe it was Chislers  golf cart. That didn't pan out too well for Steve, although it was entertaining. He didn't drink either, he was just crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Assassin said:

At EOT in 98 Vitivouri Kid drove a golf cart into the tent during the banquet, he was doing donuts on the parket dance floor.

I believe it was Chislers  golf cart. That didn't pan out too well for Steve, although it was entertaining. He didn't drink either, he was just crazy.

I believe that was 99 or 2000, Then stood at gate the following year with a sign protesting his removal from SASS.  Changed his name couple more times....one was Ben Avery.

But then he is not the only guy who changed his name, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Kirk James said:

Did not start till 2011.  FJT says it all.  It is the people that make CAS so remarkable.  Raised two children with their help.

Pretty fine children, too...

 

Cheers,

FJT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Love that Picture with Swifty...damn...he always brought a smile to my face whenever I saw him at a match...

 

Can you believe it's been 16 years since I first shot/met you?

 

Miss shooting with you my friend.

 

Phantom

 

Backatcha, Cowboy.  And, Steve/Swifty brought more fun to a match than should have been legal..  Of course, he also brought That Damned Kid... but....SIXTEEN years???

 

Wow!

 

FJT

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

I believe that was 99 or 2000, Then stood at gate the following year with a sign protesting his removal from SASS.  Changed his name couple more times....one was Ben Avery.

But then he is not the only guy who changed his name, right?

It was 98, I still have a tee shirt. Didn't go back to EOT in Norco until 2001. Too bad, Steve was a really great shooter, he stirred the pot. He was the first Super Gunfighter.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Long Hunter SASS #20389L said:

The pictures sure bring back a lot of fond memories. Think that pic of us was around 2003 if not mistaken. Remember the first time I met FJT at EOT about 19-20 years ago when we were on the same posse. All we knew about FJT was he's new and was a college professor.  He was the life of the party on our posse and we affectionately named him our Nutty Professor. We didn't say it to his face because we just met and didn't want to hurt his feelings. Little did we know at the time what a great addition FJT was and is to this game!! Hope you plan on EOT this year my friend so we can catch up. Those middle years are tuning in to the old years now.  

 

Meeting and shooting with you is one of the experiences that I genuinely treasure in this game, Jim.  I could tell the rest of you all stories... that span not only North America, but also the European continent! :-o 

 

I fully intend to be at EoT this year; I look forward to seeing you, catching up a bit...and maybe building a few new legends along the way!

 

Cheers,

FJT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Assassin said:

It was 98, I still have a tee shirt. Didn't go back to EOT in Norco until 2001. Too bad, Steve was a really great shooter, he stirred the pot. He was the first Super Gunfighter.

 

I did not start attending EOT until 2000 and thought it was year before when he ran into tent.  Maybe it was 2000 when he "picketed"  at front gate.

Agree..I liked the guy.  He was deadly with that 97 with the glued shot and definitely a gun gunfighter..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

I did not start attending EOT until 2000 and thought it was year before when he ran into tent.  Maybe it was 2000 when he "picketed"  at front gate.

Agree..I liked the guy.  He was deadly with that 97 with the glued shot and definitely a gun gunfighter..

I was standing outside the tent with Dusty Rogers(Roy's son), we busted a gut laughing. Hipshot and Chiseler didn't appreciate the humor. To the best of my knowledge Steve was the only person ever thrown out of SASS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Assassin said:

I was standing outside the tent with Dusty Rogers(Roy's son), we busted a gut laughing. Hipshot and Chiseler didn't appreciate the humor. To the best of my knowledge Steve was the only person ever thrown out of SASS. 

No, I know of a couple of others, but not for an entertaining reason... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm honored to be in one of your photos brother, them were certainly great times.

I seem to recollect something "interesting" happening with you on one of the stages, but we all can attest to having many interesting times.

 

And not only do I still wear my guns backasswards but now I get to pull both them pistols at the same time to rain fire on the evildoers. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much mirth and great friends made and kept over the years.  WR in maybe 2004 or so - long before Wild Bunch had rules.  It was a 4 man team side match with some caveats like at least one person had to shoot duelist and one person had to be female.  Somehow I ended up with FJT, Evil Roy and I can't remember the other shooter.  Maybe FJT will remember.  What I do remember is that it hurt to breathe the next day because we had laughed so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 9:43 PM, Lou Graham, # 26112 said:

Much mirth and great friends made and kept over the years.  WR in maybe 2004 or so - long before Wild Bunch had rules.  It was a 4 man team side match with some caveats like at least one person had to shoot duelist and one person had to be female.  Somehow I ended up with FJT, Evil Roy and I can't remember the other shooter.  Maybe FJT will remember.  What I do remember is that it hurt to breathe the next day because we had laughed so much!

 

I seem to recall that laughedI  me arse off that day, and somehow, came home with a purple ostrich feather!

 

Good times, LG!

 

Cheers,.

FJT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found some more old shots from the SASS Middle Ages.  Feel free to tag, add, or comment!

 

Cheers,

FJT

 

Worlds Biggest SASS  tgt stg 9.jpg

RockyNMe.jpg

SLOmc.jpg

posse3_edited.jpg

BrimPistol3.JPG

5NavyUse.JPG

PICT0372.jpg

NVSpirit.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know FJT its been some time back shooting with you on the range being on same posse and really enjoyed your company and your pleasant and have fun type attitude. Yeeeeh Haaaaw and thanks for the memories. Do hope to see you again on a range some where in time. God Bless & take care.

 

Jackrabbit Joe & Sly Puppy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Bullspit

Nice to see some familiar faces. I sure miss shooting at Cajon and other ranges there in California.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2020 at 5:26 PM, Frederick Jackson Turner said:

I started SASS circa 2000, so I can't really post on the early years thread.  But!  When I started, it was not uncommon to shoot rifles at 50 yards or more, throw yourself on the ground and shoot from under a wagon, then clamber back up and run across a creaky bridge, or some such.  We threw tomahawks, shot bows, and fished cartridges out of bean pots.  Fun stuff, good times, and great folks.  I've gotten to witness the evolution of Cowboy Action Shooting from those days, to the more modern speed racer matches, and had a great time, through it all.

 

 

Good pics FJT. Really bringing back memories.....remember this one?

WR 04 4 pals.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2020 at 3:24 PM, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Good pics FJT. Really bringing back memories.....remember this one?

WR 04 4 pals.jpg

Mighty fast company, I was keeping in those days, BB!   One of the best times I ever had in my life. 

 

FJT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2020 at 10:50 AM, Tequila Chase said:

Being new at this I've got a question for those that did the old stages i.e. where you had to run over a rickety bridge.  How did you handle the older shooters that would have problems or possibly hurt themselves doing those things?  I ask because I've been on posses where there were shooters that had trouble just moving from position to position.  

In the club I shot at in those days (Canadian River Regulators) we gave them a pass on things like that, and let them shoot from where they could get to.

They weren't going to win the Caddy anyway, and they got to share in the fun.

 

Duffield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2020 at 8:15 PM, Frederick Jackson Turner said:

Found some more old shots from the SASS Middle Ages.  Feel free to tag, add, or comment!

 

Cheers,

FJT

 

Worlds Biggest SASS  tgt stg 9.jpg

 

 

The Last Stand! The Horse & Carriage targets were rather large. 

 

Good times!

 

Stan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 9:02 AM, Santa Fe River Stan,36999L said:

 

The Last Stand! The Horse & Carriage targets were rather large. 

 

Good times!

 

Stan

 

Rather large, you say?  Good Times, Indeed! Those are TARGETS, folks… NOT props! Good times in Florida!

FL04d.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.