SASS Wire Forum

I saw "1917"

Strange film. I sure identified with the filth, lousy weather, the confusion and chaos etc. but did not understand the plot.

Just my .02.  I thought the cinematography was excellent.  Certainly showed the effects of war.  But I can only watch so much of guys running through ditches, er I mean trenches.  Yeah, I think the storyline could have used a boost.  Was expecting something to change when he ran into the young woman and the baby.  Then we were back to running again.

Made me appreciate the usefulness of the 97 Winchester.
(Let me re-word it. I appreciated how useful a 97 would have been, had I been running with that young fellow!)
I'm lucky, though: when my beautiful bride and myself saw Enemy at the Gates, she absolutely positively wanted a Mosin-Nagant.
So far she's not said a word about wanting a Lee-Enfield!

Saw it last Thursday. Not many movies have I not liked, this was one of them. Guess I expected too much but sure was disappointed. 

Saw it and loved it, looks great, but am still annoyed a bit about the plot. All 1600 men will be killed if they fail!  And they only send one team of runners. And there is no other way to communicate; pigeons, airplanes dropping messages or other communications commonly used at that time.  With so many great dramatic stories from that war I’d have preferred something a bit more believable.  Still, always happy to see a well done and great looking WWI flick.

Seamus

I might go see it tomorrow. What the heck! No other movies out that interest me in the slightest!<_<

Sassparilla Kid and I saw it; it was just about exactly what I expected.  It's definitely not a "feel good" film.  That said, it is still a "must see."  Very well done, I thought.

But, unlike Lin Keller's bride, my son DOES now want an SMLE!  ^_^

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, the details were awesome as well as the firearms. Did you see the Webley ??Good movie!;)

13 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Sassparilla Kid and I saw it; it was just about exactly what I expected.  It's definitely not a "feel good" film.  That said, it is still a "must see."  Very well done, I thought.

Hollywood hasn't made a "feel good" war movie since the 1980s, aside from Midway which got assailed in some media outlets for being too patriotic. Figures.

Interesting article on how the one camera was used for this film. If it looked a little different from other films here's why..................

https://nofilmschool.com/roger-deakins-1917-one-shot

Archived