SASS Wire Forum

How Many Have Broken a Stoeger?

bgavin

18 hours ago, bgavin said:

This incurs another $75 to $100 in FFL fees, and two trips to the FFL for new paper work, plus another 10-day waiting period here in the PRK.
I have asked Stoeger to send me a refund and keep the broken gun because the product is a lemon.

If I was in the OP's boots I would demand the original gun back along with the replacement.  Eat the $75-100 fees on the new one.  Send the broken one off to a reputable SASS smith for welding and then be done with it.  The end result will be you now have two SASS sxs for the price of slightly more than one.

I know it is a pain, but I have found it is easier to accept that there are no new guns that are ready for this game.  The Stoegers are cheaply made shotguns that with action work keep a lot of owners happy and shooting right along side far more expensive sxs like the Browings and SKBs.  Even the expensive sxs need work too. 

I will throw out my unsupported and unsubstantiated theory that poor fitment at the factory results in the locking lug not being fully engaged and that the less than full engagement is a significant factor in some of the failures.  Looking at your photo-the metal at the break looks unusual.  I think your gun got a bad piece of steel down there or improper heat treatment or something.

I also believe with no supporting evidence that older Stoegers were better guns than the newer ones.

My main match shotgun is a Ithaca/SKB 100, but often I swipe my eldest son's Stogie cause with the short buttstock and barrels and double triggers it is a lot of fun to shoot.  Some of the Turkish guns can be made into decent performers, but if the budget allows a BSS or a Ithaca/SKB is a nice choice.

I gotta chime in on this, in support of the older Stoegers.  I got mine not long after joining up... based on my badge number that has been a while ago.  Never had an issue.  I surely aint a "world class" competitor, but I'm not the slowest one out there either.  Over the years, depending on my mood, I shoot factory smokeless loads or warthog BP loads without issues and never a miss (except when I am pointing it at the dirt instead of the target, but then didn't I indeed hit what I was pointing at?)

I gotta assume some pencil necked geek came in and made their process "better" sometime between when I got mine and you got yours.  Never trust the guy in the suit who introduces himself as "Hi, I'm from corporate and I am here to help".

12 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Stoeger is sending me a refund.

If anybody needs these parts, I have unused stainless firing pins, spanner wrench, and chokes for Stoeger Supreme.

I could use the spanner wrench, and spare firing pins...

A better question is "How many haven't broken a Stoeger!"

I looked into the CZ Hammer Coach, and a smith commented about it being just as "hit or miss" as the Stoeger.

I guess I will have to search for a 1960s Stevens 311C or similar.
All I want is a SxS that doesn't break after just 12 shots.

We won't be there.
It is crab feed season, and my lodge is running a huge crab feed that day.
We are in at 6am, and finished around 10pm.

I will hold them aside for you.
Two stainless pins and spanner, still in the factory boxes.
I'm SO not happy with Stoeger...
Most anything else can be repaired, but not a broken barrel lug.

Each repair is $75 FFL, $40 background check and 10-day waiting period.
Not acceptable.

On 1/30/2020 at 2:56 PM, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

I also believe with no supporting evidence that older Stoegers were better guns than the newer ones.

I've seen just the opposite.

I picked up two used stock stoegers this past year. One is a 2015 the other i believe is much older, serial # 43**** with no prefix or date code after.

I slicked both up, The fit and finish on the internal parts was much better on the newer gun. The older gun took much more work to clean up.

Also the left side barrel shoots a bit to the left. The newer ones left barrel also shoots a little left, but not nearly as much. 

The only thing the older one has going for it is the checkering is cut instead of rolled like the newer one. Probably the only reason I bought it right after buying the newer one. It just looks nicer!

So far no issues with either of them, keepin my fingers crossed!

I am SO disappointed over all this.

I really did like the Stoeger.
The barrel lug is the only part that cannot be effectively repaired... everything else looks fixable.
But the risk of breakage is so high, and the pain of FFL + Background + 10-day waits is too much.
As noted above, shipping to that smith in NC would be ghastly painful.

I guess I'll look around for a Stevens 311 or a Fox.
I'm not a competitor, so the clunky Stevens will be good enough as long as it doesn't break.

18 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

The other story.:)

Hey Doc.......bottom of what lake?

yep, had lug repair back when i started out too.  Many SKBs ago.

5 hours ago, bgavin said:

I looked into the CZ Hammer Coach, and a smith commented about it being just as "hit or miss" as the Stoeger.

I guess I will have to search for a 1960s Stevens 311C or similar.
All I want is a SxS that doesn't break after just 12 shots.

Naw.  They ain't so durable.  

My 40's vintage Stevens 5100 (basically an older 311 with a dog stamped on one side) finally went down.  Screws holes in the forearm wood gave way.  Won't be able to ever use it again until I spend mebbe twenty minutes and a couple dabs o' J B Weld to make it right.  :(

:P

I have shot an AyA double ten since I started CAS. Before that, I used it for duck and goose hunting and even with blanks to start sailboat races.  :)  It has worked great. A few years back, I replaced the hammer spring.  :P

Quality will out!!!!:D

18 hours ago, bgavin said:

A cowboy gunsmith?

I'd recommend contacting LongHunter and get a CZ that is CAS ready.

OR

contact Barleycorn and buy the Cimarron Hammered Double he has for sale; it's heavy, but built like a tank

OR

contact Ol' Number 4 and see if he might have a Charles Daly laying around

OR

you get the picture. Get with a cowboy gunsmith and buy something that someone has already fixed the issues; that way you don't have to depend on a manufacturer should something go wrong.

You say you're not a competitor and just doing this for fun. That's fine, but tuned up firearms really do make that experience even better. I'm trying to say tuned guns aren't just for the speed demons; hint, they aren't fast competitors because of the guns they use.

Tyrel,

Thanks for the synopsis.

That sounds like what I will have to do.
I am far more interested in a gun that does not break, than one that goes fast until it breaks.

We prefer SxS.
And internal hammers if possible, as we are not at all equipped for the classic classes.
We can deal with external hammers if necessary, as neither of us are speed demons, nor likely to become one.

3 minutes ago, bgavin said:

True, that... but none of my other guns can be used, so I won't be shooting in those classes anyway.
I have 357 and 44, no desire for anything else.

For now...

33 minutes ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

For now...

The pain here in CA is getting too hard to tolerate.
Many sellers won't ship to CA.
When I do get something shipped here, it is $75 FFL, $40 background check, 10-day wait.
30 day wait for the 2nd revolver of a matched set.
I accumulate 170+ days of waiting periods in 2019 just acquiring our guns.

My broken Stoeger was going to be as detailed above, and no promise it was not going to break yet again.
I'm going to see what I can find in the various cowboy smith inventories.
Buy once, cry once is OK with me.

1 minute ago, bgavin said:

The pain here in CA is getting too hard to tolerate.
Many sellers won't ship to CA.
When I do get something shipped here, it is $75 FFL, $40 background check, 10-day wait.
30 day wait for the 2nd revolver of a matched set.
I accumulate 170+ days of waiting periods in 2019 just acquiring our guns.

My broken Stoeger was going to be as detailed above, and no promise it was not going to break yet again.
I'm going to see what I can find in the various cowboy smith inventories.
Buy once, cry once is OK with me.

I cannot imagine that. here I can buy and take home any number of firearms I can afford in one day.

i have not ...at least to the point that it could not be fixed with a bit of cleaning and lube , i know of two - one cowboy and one trap shooter that have been told theirs are unfixable - thus junk as no one can get parts for them , i will shoot mine till it dies and give it a decent burial it has served me well all the years ive owned it , 

as i did alter it for this game it would be daimed unfixable if i ever sent it in , thats OK , it would never have served as it came to me from the box , as said it has served well so far , i have a replacement or two these days , 

i also bought a 410 coach for the grandkids when i bought my 12ga coach , its not given trouble yet cause they have not reached age yet - one of the issues with proudly buying them weeks after they were born , had to wait for them to grow up and hope they will follow the trail , still to be seen , 

Archived