SASS Wire Forum

Financial stuff in regards to GUNS.

Hi there . . . . I was selling guns . .   ( is that a sacrilege ?  ) . . .  probably . . . but . . .

Anyhow . . . I had taken a realistic look at my financial future . . . and realized that I had too big a percentage of my net worth tied up in Guns, . . most of which I was not using.  They were nice guns and I loved them .. . but just too many. 

So I carefully figured out which ones I could part with, and proceeded to list them on the classifieds.

I’m happy to have reduced my inventory of guns and happy as well that all purchasers got a good deal and are happy with what they received. 

Wolfgang . . . . :)

Since I am only an "El Rey", I'm not old enough to worry about having too many firearms yet. My tragic situation is not having many of the ones I "NEED". I need more from Les Baer, a few more S&W revolvers, a .50 or more caliber double rifle, another 8 gauge double, another Thompson SMG, more for my grandchildren and for my Sea Scouts and for loaners and lots more.  :)

17 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Since I am only an "El Rey", I'm not old enough to worry about having too many firearms yet. My tragic situation is not having many of the ones I "NEED". I need more from Les Baer, a few more S&W revolvers, a .50 or more caliber double rifle, another 8 gauge double, another Thompson SMG, more for my grandchildren and for my Sea Scouts and for loaners and lots more.  :)

A good attitude.

I have too much of my net worth tied up in guns as well, but I don't care. My wife left me, I have no kids, and guns & shooting is one of the few hobbies I have left to enjoy that I can actually afford. I'll worry about selling them when I get too old to shoot them.

One of my favorite George Booth cartoons from New Yorker Magazine...

The caption is small, "Approximately one-third of our income goes for defense."

IMG-0074.thumb.jpg.1317306d18cb7b564bb60ff26ff4bcea.jpg

This past Sunday, I visited the NRA Firearms Museum in Fairfax, VA. They feature the Robert Peterson Gallery, which has the finest collection of guns I have ever viewed. He became a millionaire after WWII by building a publishing empire which included magazines such as Guns and Ammo. Anyhow, he tied up huge sums of $$$ in his gun collection. The foremost examples being the only 3 Parker "Invincible" model shotguns made, which are valued at over $5 million, and the worlds largest known collection of Gatling guns, including one that was used at San Juan Hill in Cuba. We are all but pikers in the collection business when you can see what real money (and excellent taste) can accomplish. He had over 2K guns when he passed. His net worth at the time was over $750 million. I'm guessing that his gun collection accounted for about 10% of that. His wife donated 400 of the finest guns in his collection to the NRA. 

I am sure Mr. Peterson's collection and taste are impeccable.  I helped him out by buying a lot of his magazines!

If you ever venture to my neck of the woods, the NRA museum in Bass Pro Shop's mother ship in Springfield has 3 times as many visitors annually as the one in Virginia.  Not saying it's better, just saying a lot of folks go through it.  And I see something new every time I visit.  Let me know when you are nearby, I would be honored to accompany any SASS pard on a tour.

I would imagine selling personal guns is like any other personal property, like a car or truck - if you sell it at, or below, what you paid for it, there is no income tax due, but if you bought a Colt SAA in 1974 for $400, then sold it in 2020 for $2500, you'd have to report $2100 earnings to the IRS... right? :unsure:

45 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I would imagine selling personal guns is like any other personal property, like a car or truck - if you sell it at, or below, what you paid for it, there is no income tax due, but if you bought a Colt SAA in 1974 for $400, then sold it in 2020 for $2500, you'd have to report $2100 earnings to the IRS... right? :unsure:

Why not treat it like real estate?  Reinvest capital gains within the same calendar year in more firearms. Then there is no income tax.

edit: if you report a lot of profit from firearms, does the IRS tell the ATF who looks at you for dealing without a license?

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I am sure Mr. Peterson's collection and taste are impeccable.  I helped him out by buying a lot of his magazines!

If you ever venture to my neck of the woods, the NRA museum in Bass Pro Shop's mother ship in Springfield has 3 times as many visitors annually as the one in Virginia.  Not saying it's better, just saying a lot of folks go through it.  And I see something new every time I visit.  Let me know when you are nearby, I would be honored to accompany any SASS pard on a tour.

Make sure you emphasize the Lewis and Clark Air Rifle.  I stand and stare and slide back in time at that display.

7 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Right........:blush:

LL

A long time ago I discovered that I don't have enough money to own all the guns I WANT! I limit myself to ones that I actually shoot. I buy and sell regularly! If I haven't shot a gun in say maybe two years, it's gone!!

A long departed friend had a twin of the Clark air gun. He bought it at the Baltimore antique gun show. He sold a Patterson Colt at the show to get some cash. He brought it to the Rockville IWLA and let everyone shoot it. It was good for 30+ shots before recranking the pump. This guy was the best collector I've ever met. Had a bank vault in his basement.

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

A long time ago I discovered that I don't have enough money to own all the guns I WANT! I limit myself to ones that I actually shoot.

Yep.
And why I don't have a 45-70.

Up until last night, no 44 mags, either.
However... I tripped over (and bought) a NIB 2002 old model Vaquero Bisley 44 mag in 5.5" stainless.
This means I will have to keep an eye open for its twin brother...

I've been divesting myself of some unused guns. Just can't see any sense in holding onto them when I can use the cash for other things. Currently have a Red 9 Broomhandle Mauser w/stock that I've been taking to matches. I just wish I had $5.00 for every time I've been asked "How do you take the magazine out" and I've only taken it to two matches. I'd have had enough cash to pay for the matches and the gas to and from.

18 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Can't you adjust for inflation?

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

Yep.
And why I don't have a 45-70.

Up until last night, no 44 mags, either.
However... I tripped over (and bought) a NIB 2002 old model Vaquero Bisley 44 mag in 5.5" stainless.
This means I will have to keep an eye open for its twin brother...

I have one of those in 41 Mag-nice gun.

kR

I spent the afternoon cleaning guns in my youngest son's gunroom. most are guns that I have given him. He has rifles, pistols and shotguns from .410 to 12, rifles from .22 to .45ACP, and pistols from .22 to .357. I gave my eldest son a bunch too. They also have my Dad's swabbie officer's sword, my eldest has his Marine mameluke sword and they share my Great Uncle Milton's Arabian sword from his movies.

As time goes on, I plan to give them the rest of the ones that are  getting beyond me.

19 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Since I seem to always buy high and sell low, can I get a tax credit?

That's my philosophy as well. But I come out ok because I make it up in volume.

On 1/29/2020 at 10:52 PM, Three Foot Johnson said:

But don't forget to deduct storage and maintenance fees, you had while you owned it.;):D

Archived