SASS Wire Forum

An Alpoesque observation on the speed of light...

Three Foot Johnson

11 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Interesting, you realize this is just a show right??:P

I believe there is somewhere around 5,000,000 people I would like for you to say that to:P

15 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

So we know the speed of light, does anybody know the speed of DARK?

3 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

- 186,282 miles/sec. :P

Actually the speed of dark is the same speed as light. Enter a completely dark room, turn on the light and dark disappears. Now in that same lighted room turn off the light and it becomes dark.

Now on the LIGHTER side, dark just exist, light had to be created to overcome darkness. So, darkness must have always existed till there was light. So, darkness must be much faster than light because if a sun is 100,000 light years away, it has to overcome darkness to reach us, but darkness does not have to overcome light to reach us. It's just there. Alpo theory if I am correct:blink:

16 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Okay, I still don't get it but thanks.:blink: To my mind if a car is going 1000mph, it's going 1000mph period no matter which direction it's going in! I don't see where relation to the sun has anything do with it.-_-

That's what I tried to tell the officer, but he wrote me a ticket anyway.

18 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

The planet is spinning about 1000 mph at the equator, relative to the sun, so, in relation to the planet, one car is going about 1000 mph - 40 mph, and the other is going about 1000 mph + 40 mph. If they're driving north/south, they're both going about 1000 mph sideways, as well as 40 mph north and south. 

18 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Okay, I still don't get it but thanks.:blink: To my mind if a car is going 1000mph, it's going 1000mph period no matter which direction it's going in! I don't see where relation to the sun has anything do with it.-_-

Bbbbut, the earth itself is traveling 67000 miles per hour in its orbit around the sun. The speed of a vehicle relative to the sun depends on its position and direction of travel.

The sun and solar system are traveling 514,000 mph relative to the Milky Way’s galactic center.

Now how fast is the Milky Way moving through the Universe?

ZACTLY! Everything depends on what you're using as a point of reference. In the video above, Tory saw the cannon barrel slide off the ball and the ball fell straight down onto the ground... but it was also going ~1000 mph horizontally, from a vantage point somewhere in space... or 67,000 mph in reference to the sun... and so on.

2 hours ago, Smoken D said:

light had to be created to overcome darkness. So, darkness must have always existed till there was light

Pretty sure it says that in the first chapter of Genesis.

27 minutes ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

And all of this effects my driving to Tusco to shoot Saturday, HOW!:blink:

Step on the brakes real hard, and the shoot will come to YOU!

6 hours ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

- 186,282 miles/sec. :P

Capt.,

Your question about the speed of dark is a good question.  

I bet if you start another thread asking that question, you'll

get similar response, probably from the same folks who knew nothing about this thread

yet posted nonetheless.....  INCLUDING ME!   :lol::lol:

..........Widder

13 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Capt.,

Your question about the speed of dark is a good question.  

I bet if you start another thread asking that question, you'll

get similar response, probably from the same folks who knew nothing about this thread

yet posted nonetheless.....  INCLUDING ME!   :lol::lol:

..........Widder

I would agree with you.

My thought process was; if I was in a dark room and flipped the switch to illuminate the room, the light waves appear and are moving at the speed of light. If I then flip the switch to darken the room, the light waves disappeared at the same speed, and subsequently are moving at negative speed of light. Pretty mind blowing, huh? :lol:

2 hours ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

I would agree with you.

My thought process was; if I was in a dark room and flipped the switch to illuminate the room, the light waves appear and are moving at the speed of light. If I then flip the switch to darken the room, the light waves disappeared at the same speed, and subsequently are moving at negative speed of light. Pretty mind blowing, huh? :lol:

Thats a great point.

When the light turns on, its illumination only eliminates the darkness at the speed its traveling.

It may seem 'instantaneously' to our eyes, but in reality, it isn't.

BUT, once the light turns off, the darkness engulfs the entire room completely in an

equal time frame..... unless somehow light can exist for a fleeting moment once the

power source is shut off.

A smart feller could argue that darkness is FASTER than light..... ;)

..........Widder

18 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Thats a great point.

When the light turns on, its illumination only eliminates the darkness at the speed its traveling.

It may seem 'instantaneously' to our eyes, but in reality, it isn't.

BUT, once the light turns off, the darkness engulfs the entire room completely in an

equal time frame..... unless somehow light can exist for a fleeting moment once the

power source is shut off.

A smart feller could argue that darkness is FASTER than light..... ;)

..........Widder

WHEW! All this cogitatin' has got me wore down to the nub. I'm off for a nap now.

On 1/30/2020 at 11:43 AM, Smoken D said:

Actually the speed of dark is the same speed as light. Enter a completely dark room, turn on the light and dark disappears. Now in that same lighted room turn off the light and it becomes dark.

Now on the LIGHTER side, dark just exist, light had to be created to overcome darkness. So, darkness must have always existed till there was light. So, darkness must be much faster than light because if a sun is 100,000 light years away, it has to overcome darkness to reach us, but darkness does not have to overcome light to reach us. It's just there. Alpo theory if I am correct:blink:

I think I just felt Einstein roll over

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Darkness does travel at the speed of light.  If a star 500 light years away explodes and goes dark, we would not know it until 500 years later when the light from the former star stops coming our way.

Thats a valid thought.

But, think about this:

What if that star was actually 600 light years away when it exploded, but it only took 500 light years for

the dark to overcome it and gave us a false distance.

See, our scientist (or whomever) have only calculated distances based on the speed of light.

I don't think anyone ever did any studies to calculate the speed of darkness..... :D

Therefore, the speed of darkness is only assumed to be equal to the speed of light.

Now, if we really want to know the facts about light vs darkness, TN Williams will have to

jump in and tell us.   He knows everything!

..........Widder

Dark doesn’t exist, it’s nothing unless it’s dark matter but that’s another subject!!:o

If there was no light, it would all be dark. We'd all have to live like bats or something. How in the hell are you supposed to be able to drink your beer hanging upside down? 

And why does it take so long for out eyes to adjust to the light when it was dark before and visa versa?

Why does last night and this morning look the same to me?

6 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Now, if we really want to know the facts about light vs darkness, TN Williams will have to

jump in and tell us.   He knows everything!

..........Widder

I'm glad you're catching on...:ph34r:

Actually, darkness is just the absence of light waves. When you click that light on the waves start out at that bulb or whatever the source and travel through space unless encumbered by enough of an obstacle to stop it. If you slowed down time enough, and clicked that bulb on and off quick enough, you would see light expand all around that bulb, til the exact time the source is shut off and darkness will follow. In essence, you would see a 360° ring around that bulb. The reason is because once you kill the switch there is no more light emanating from the bulb; however, that does not make the light previously coming from the bulb cease to exist.

When I was a young engineer at IBM, we were fined once for exceeding the speed of light with our mainframes.
Part of the deal removing the consent decree was to promise not to exceed light speed in the future.

...all this traveling at the speed of light...  it is easier just to fold space....

Archived