SASS Wire Forum

Today In 1919

Cypress Sun

The 18th Amendment to the Constitution is ratified thereby making the manufacture, transportation, sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages in the United States illegal.

American's still got their booze, beer and wine through bootleggers which caused the unprecedented growth of organized crime and gangsters like Al Capone and countless others.

The U.S. would remain "alcohol free" for 14 more years until the 21st Amendment was ratified.

Here's to the 21st Amendment..........

1 hour ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

That was the worst 14 years of my life.

I'm still trying to get caught up.

I think we need an amendment very similar to the 18th. Only this one would be regarding stupid people. Anyone deemed stupid, inept, clueless or generally ignorant  would be forbidden to move about the country. They would be made to live in the metropolises where they would not drive but take mass transit and mill about with like minded morons...oh wait. I think we already have something similar. It’s a natural course...never mind. 

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I think we need an amendment very similar to the 18th. Only this one would be regarding stupid people. Anyone deemed stupid, inept, clueless or generally ignorant  would be forbidden to move about the country. They would be made to live in the metropolises where they would not drive but take mass transit and mill about with like minded morons...oh wait. I think we already have something similar. It’s a natural course...never mind. 

That would completely disable Congress.

Oh, wait...

24 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

How 'bout we just raise the voting age to 35?

;)

15 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

What ??   ..... have the OLD people decide the fate of the country ?

:o

I could see it now, Matlock for President.  Actually wouldn't be a bad idea, at least they would have some idea bout what it takes to be an adult and have responsibility.

40 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

How 'bout we just raise the voting age to 35?

;)

I had to be 21 to cast my first votes...  

And now there are those who want it lowered to sixteen.  Aarrgghh...!    doh!.gif

USA TODAY March 18, 2019

Congress only has the authority to lower the voting age for federal elections. That's what sparked the  26th Amendment, which in 1971 lowered the voting age in every election to 18.

Freshmen Rep. Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass.,  proposed lowering the voting age from 18 to 16 for federal elections. The proposal failed with only 126 votes but represented a turning point in the fight for enfranchisement. It had the support of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who has championed such efforts at the local level in California for years. 

3 hours ago, Irish Tom said:

I'm still trying to get caught up.

I allow myself one bottle of Jamison’s per month.

At the moment I’m working on August, 2028.

Archived