SASS Wire Forum

I had to laugh...

I got home, flipped the TV on.

Show was Blue Bloods, scene was family at dinner, discussion was religion. Of course the family is the Reagans, Irish Catholic.   Kid says “I want to be Jewish,  ..... I went to three bar mitzvahs this year, they really clean up on gifts”

somebody said “You’ld have to give up Christmas gifts.”

Grandpa (Tom Sellick) said “and bacon”

I immediately thought of you guys.

Nobody gives up bacon.  They just call it something else.

Cat Brules

Aisle 8, Albertson's supermarket, Morro Bay, California.  :rolleyes:

I had to snap the picture.  ^_^

(This was about two years ago or so.  I suspect it may have been changed since... ) 

90184886_KosherBacon_zps27qvqzon.thumb.jpg.50c29f2b8c1966ce8d4b2d14a304bcac.jpg

Kosher Bacon??

I have a Muslim friend who was also wondering if there was a Halal version, after he came here as we were cleaning up after breakfast one day.

One of my Jewish fraternity brothers once explained to me that the prohibition on pork products were the result of a time when cleanliness, cooking temperatures, and the like were ill understood, much as in not being able to not have dairy and meat together (no cheeseburgers!). As a result, they were antiquated and unnecessary. He then helped himself to more bacon.

Another point about restrictions (religious or otherwise) on pork is that, historically, pigs were infested with parasites and infections that could often be transferred to humans eating the poorly-cooked meat or just handling it.  The best way to deal with those issues in earlier times was to restrict/prohibit consumption by religious order or by some similar, authoritative official civil order, to protect the population.

Cat Brules

6 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Blue Bloods is one of our favorite shows, and not just because of Mr Selleck. 

And bacon is its own food group, exempt from all dietary and religious restrictions. 

Funny how that works.  Mrs. LL and I struggle to find TV shows these days that we are both interested in; for network shows, Blue Bloods is at the top of the list.  But if Danny jumps over one more car front end, I may change my preference.....

LL

3 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Funny how that works.  Mrs. LL and I struggle to find TV shows these days that we are both interested in; for network shows, Blue Bloods is at the top of the list.  But if Danny jumps over one more car front end, I may change my preference.....

LL

You want the stunt guy to jump over a roof?

3 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

But if Danny jumps over one more car front end, I may change my preference.....

LL

But, but, but... that worked for Bo AND Luke Duke. Effortlessly, seemlessly, every time.

:D

19 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

But, but, but... that worked for Bo AND Luke Duke. Effortlessly, seemlessly, every time.

And Erin Reagan could be the next Daisy Duke if the producers would just let prosecutors wear cutoff jeans and halter tops in court. 

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Esposito tried that one time on Castle. Slid off the nose of the car and landed on his butt in the street. :lol:

Eddie Murphy did that in a cop movie called Showtime. Slid across the hood of his new sports car, Robert de Niro told him that was stupid. Said the badge in his back pocket cut a big scratch across the hood.

16 hours ago, DocWard said:

One of my Jewish fraternity brothers once explained to me that the prohibition on pork products were the result of a time when cleanliness, cooking temperatures, and the like were ill understood, much as in not being able to not have dairy and meat together (no cheeseburgers!). As a result, they were antiquated and unnecessary. He then helped himself to more bacon.

When we graduated from officer's Ordnance course at APG six couple went out for a final dinner.  One was a Jewish gent from NYC.  I noticed that he was eating southern style country ham and asked "Jack?  I thought you were Jewish.  What are you eating?"

"The best fried chicken you ever saw" was his reply.

There is kosher bacon.  It's made of beef.  It's not bad, but it's not bacon.  There's a halal hamburger joint nearby that serves good greasy hamburgers.  After finding out they were halal I asked how the heck they had bacon cheeseburgers on the menu.  The guy told me the secret.  He let me try a piece.  After trying it, I suspect a lot of restaurants serve it and don't mention it.  It tasted off in a very familiar way. 

But you know, I didn't think about the cheese.  It was probably some of that fake pasteurized processed american cheese food substitute stuff. 

Archived