SASS Wire Forum

1894 CB Limited JM Marlin with loose magazine tube...

jerdog3

Hey gang,

I'm super new to Marlins, and had a terrible experience with a Remlin, so I decided to hunt down a JM Marlin.  I found a nearly perfect 1894 CB Limited JM Marlin .357, but it has a loose magazine tube.  I googled it, and seemingly only newbies like me worry about it.  Haha.  But I am worried about it.  It's not going to fall off or anything, but is slides around in the dovetail that I think is supposed to hold the magazine tube.  

So, from what I read this helps with accuracy due to the heating of the barrel, but isn't there an increased chance of knocking the magazine tube off / out?  I'm not going to use it to beat down doors or anything, but I would like a sturdy gun.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Jeremy

IMG_0209.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0205.JPG

Jerdog,

The end of your mag tube (muzzle end) should fit on the 'male' stud attached to the underside

of the barrel.  Then a screw goes thru the magtube and magtube end piece that securely 

screws into that stud.

I'm not sure how your mag tube is loose unless the male stud is not properly fitting into 

its dovetail on the underside of the barrel.

If this stud is loose and freely moves side to side, you can 'peen' it in for a tighter tolerance.

Hope this helps a little.

..........Widder

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Jerdog,

The end of your mag tube (muzzle end) should fit on the 'male' stud attached to the underside

of the barrel.  Then a screw goes thru the magtube and magtube end piece that securely 

screws into that stud.

I'm not sure how your mag tube is loose unless the male stud is not properly fitting into 

its dovetail on the underside of the barrel.

If this stud is loose and freely moves side to side, you can 'peen' it in for a tighter tolerance.

Hope this helps a little.

..........Widder

Great info.  I will have to look up what "peen" means, but great info.  Haha

I'm on day one of my 10 day waiting period (in California you have to wait 10 from the day you purchase a gun to pick it up!), but I will examine it further when I get it home.  But you are correct that it moves side to side in the dovetail slot at the muzzle end.  I will have to look into that and see about the fix.

Thank you!

If you haven’t found it yet, it means to deform the metal in a little bit (a subjective call) with a small ball-peen hammer or such, to reduce the tolerance so the mag tube will fit tighter.  Be very careful; it likely won’t take much, so test it as you go.

Cat Brules

Peen the bottom of the part that fits into the dovetail. Always modify the least expensive part if possible. You could try a piece of aluminum foil under it first.

Again, you guys are so helpful!  Much nicer than the Glock forum guys.  Haha!  I will look into this when I get the gun back.

This is what I was told to do from someone vastly more skilled than me:

You can fix it yourself (best to tighten the fit). Remove the forearm and mag, slide the stud/tenon mag hanger out of its dovetail, and degrease both parts. Put a drop of red (permanent) threadlock on the dovetail surface and reinstall the magazine stud. After checking to see that the stud is centered, stake each side (fore/aft) of the dovetail using a center punch, just at the edges of the joint, where the barrel material overlaps the stud tenon. That should hold it.

Little do they know I have more barbie dolls in my apartment than tools (I have an 8 year old daughter, they're not mine.  Haha).  So I didn't know what "peen" meant yesterday, and I don't know how to stake anything, or own a punch set.  Haha.   But if this info makes sense to you guys I will try and figure it out.  

Thanks again!  I'm really trying to get into the lever gun world, and it's not easy for a city guy from Los Angeles!

16 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Before you shoot this rifle. Check each and every screw to be sure they are tight.

A drop of red #271 Loctite on the dovetail and sitting it in a warm area overnight will fix the issue.

OLG 

Great advice!  I'll sleep with it!  Haha!

Another “fix” is to use a center punch to put several dimples in the bottom of the male part that slides into the dovetail.  That will increase the friction and still let you take it out if you want.  Works with loose sights too.

4 hours ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

Another “fix” is to use a center punch to put several dimples in the bottom of the male part that slides into the dovetail.  That will increase the friction and still let you take it out if you want.  Works with loose sights too.

Great idea.  But since I bought this used, I'm not sure what I should do.  Is it supposed to be able to separate from the barrel easily?  Should I use the red threadlock to perminantly attach it?  If I use one of those Brass Stacker slings that attaches to the mag tube, I would need it kinda permanent, right?  I'm not sure what my best option is.

But thank you for this idea!

on a side track:  check that same page I put the link to; you will find off the SASS clubs in your area.  

We are a friendly lot and would be glad to see you come out and learn all about us.  Most clubs have someone who has spare revolvers/shotguns so you can shoot with us.

If you were in Houston area I would spot you a match registration + gear guns and ammo

4 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

on a side track:  check that same page I put the link to; you will find off the SASS clubs in your area.  

We are a friendly lot and would be glad to see you come out and learn all about us.  Most clubs have someone who has spare revolvers/shotguns so you can shoot with us.

If you were in Houston area I would spot you a match registration + gear guns and ammo

Thank you so much CR!  My brother and I will for sure be joining and learning from you guys asap.  I just need to save up an extra $75 x 2.  We just spent all MY money, and then some, on this great rifle so we can try cowboy action shooting (you can share a rifle in these competitions, right?).  We saw a video, and it just reminded us of  our childhood!  

Also, I bought this rifle because I believe it's one of the last gun the Gov will take from us law abiding citizens and I want to leave my wife and daughter with something to protect themselves when I'm gone.

Thank you again!

jerdog3

Just now, jerdog3 said:

Thank you so much CR!  My brother and I will for sure be joining and learning from you guys asap.  I just need to save up an extra $75 x 2.  We just spent all MY money, and then some, on this great rifle so we can try cowboy action shooting (you can share a rifle in these competitions, right?).  We saw a video, and it just reminded us of  our childhood!  

Also, I bought this rifle because I believe it's one of the last gun the Gov will take from us law abiding citizens and I want to leave my wife and daughter with something to protect themselves when I'm gone.

Thank you again!

jerdog3

Yes you can share. As a matter of fact, take what you have and get yourself to a match. There will likely be folks that will let you try and/or borrow equipment to get you started.

Welcome to the best game there is.

8 hours ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

This is a good fix where you can still remove it when necessary.  Red Loctite is not permanent as heat weakens it.  If you shoot black powder, that barrel will get hot.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 1:00 PM, Yusta B. said:

Peen the bottom of the part that fits into the dovetail. Always modify the least expensive part if possible. You could try a piece of aluminum foil under it first.

Around here when we have this happen to sights, anything that fits into a dovetail, we use a thin piece of brass sheet under the sight, tube, scope rings, etc.

Brass comes in different thicknesses and pards around the range always seem to have the size I need.  Plus, you are not re-shaping or ruining anything.

The brass stock is called, “shim stock”.  You can buy it in various “thicknesses” at good hardware stores.  You only need a few square inches of a few thicknesses.  You’ll rarely use it, but when you need it......

Cat Brules 

another place to get a good 'shim' is probably in your tool box.

If you got any 'gauge' sets, and don't need the thinnest piece, try it out.

I've used a few of my old pieces of Feeler Gauges for these kind of things.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

im enjoying this thread for all the great info - need to compliment the OP on finding a fine rifle [been looking for one a bit myself] well worth fixing it right i think 

I'm really enjoying this too!  And since there aren't a lot of gunsmiths in Los Angeles that specialize in lever guns, I'm hoping for info here that can help!

13 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i thought you have been given a lot of good info that might preclude needing to pay a gunsmith - as to being in calif im sorry - your on your own , my advice is to escape , 

Haha.  I can't leave a man behind!  So there's no escaping for me.

As for not needing to see a gunsmith, I want to get the gun back to (as close to) original configuration as I can get it.  If I can't find a gunsmith I trust to do that, I will then look at some of this great advice.

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

How did you get SASS #3?

I thought SASS #3 is TEX, one of the original Wild Bunch members and owners of SASS.

..........Widder

I will change that immediately!  Now I understand what Cheyenne Ranger was asking.  When I was sighing up for this forum, and was being asked for my number, I put down 3.  Like I do for all my sports numbers.  I didn't realize I was taking someone's number.  I will try and change that now!  Thanks for pointing that out and please tell the entire Wild Buch I'm sorry!

1 hour ago, jerdog3 said:

I will change that immediately!  Now I understand what Cheyenne Ranger was asking.  When I was sighing up for this forum, and was being asked for my number, I put down 3.  Like I do for all my sports numbers.  I didn't realize I was taking someone's number.  I will try and change that now!  Thanks for pointing that out and please tell the entire Wild Buch I'm sorry!

To help with information, the SASS home office will assign you a SASS # when your membership is approved.

p.s. - if you lived in E.TN, I'd invite you over and fix your rifle while you waited.  Then we'd go shoot it

and check it out.   

..........Widder

Jerdog, what shop is your rifle at?  

I wanna know what’s actually going on with this marlin.

gahd i couldn’t stand that 10 day wait.  when i was a youngster it was a 15 day wait for handguns only.  then they made it 10 for every firearm type.

Widder, Thank you for that awesome offer!  That's one more reason for me to wan to leave California!

Wolfy, I haven't picked a gunsmith yet.  I have 3 that I need to choose from that have all expressed interest in working on it, but I'm taking my time before handing over this precious rifle.  It's like picking a doctor to operate on my kid!  Haha.

Thanks boys!  I'll get that SASS# once I recoup some money from this rifle purchase and fix.  And then I'll invest in some cowboy clothes!  Wow, I've already spent like 3 paychecks with you guys, and you haven't even bought me  a drink!  Haha.  But I don't need alcohol as much as I need info, so that's a good deal for me!  Guess I need to buy you the drink!  Haha

Jerdog,

If I can suggest something that might help (or it might not).

List the names of those gunsmiths you are considering.   PLEASE, don't say

anything negative, bad, etc..... about any of them or the Moderators will delete this Thread.

BUT, if any of those smiths seemingly have a good reputation among SASS members as a good

Cowboy gunsmith, we can post a 'positive' comment that could be helpful to you.

If anyhow has anything negative to say about any of those smiths, they will have to send

you a PM (Personal Message) to share their info.

Now in all likelihood,  I would bet a buck to a donut that somebody in your local club(s)

can fix that issue for you with just a quick visit to their house and do a professional job.

A lot of Cowboy clubs have a good smith in their membership or atleast a local smith

they favor, AND TRUST, to work on their firearms.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Jerdog,

If I can suggest something that might help (or it might not).

List the names of those gunsmiths you are considering.   PLEASE, don't say

anything negative, bad, etc..... about any of them or the Moderators will delete this Thread.

BUT, if any of those smiths seemingly have a good reputation among SASS members as a good

Cowboy gunsmith, we can post a 'positive' comment that could be helpful to you.

If anyhow has anything negative to say about any of those smiths, they will have to send

you a PM (Personal Message) to share their info.

Now in all likelihood,  I would bet a buck to a donut that somebody in your local club(s)

can fix that issue for you with just a quick visit to their house and do a professional job.

A lot of Cowboy clubs have a good smith in their membership or atleast a local smith

they favor, AND TRUST, to work on their firearms.

..........Widder

Thank you so much Widder!

The gunsmith that I am most likely to go with in a gentleman named Ron Roark.  He comes highly recommended from a shooting range that hosts cowboy action shooting once a month.  He has been gunsmithing for the Sheriff's department for over 20 years, and once a week at the California Tactical Academy.  

The other two I found on calguns.net and have read only positive reviews, but neither "specialize" in lever guns (in Los Angeles, I don't think I will find anyone who does.  Haha)

John, I can't find his last name, but he has many great reviews.
johnsgunsmithing@live.com
323-722-3903

And then http://www.ar15barrels.com/

I get it that the name will not inspire a great deal of confidence in a forum like this, but again, a lot of positive reviews.

So I think I will be going with Ron Roark, but I'm still waiting on my 10 days until next weekend so I will keep researching.

Thanks again Widder!

jerdog3

Bet if you try that drop of red loctite.

You won't need a 'smith.

Take this from someone who has been play'n with M94's for a few decades. 

If I still lived in Palmdale, I would have you drive up  and have it fixed for you in less than 5 minutes.

Good luck,

OLG 

also... before you take it anywhere.  Take some close up pics of the fwd end of the tube and barrel.  Might be something one of us could look at and coach you through.  I have a couple shims left over from reinstalling a rear sight onto an old EMF 66 that I could mail to you.

Archived