SASS Wire Forum

Iver johnson Repair?

Bisley Joe

Howdy all...

I have an old Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works break open revolver in what looks like 38 S&W. Got it in Colorado back around 2007 for $50. It brought 5 original rounds but the airport people made me toss them because I had no box for them.

Has the following issues:

1. The break open mechanism is a little loose.
  2. When hammer is down, the cylinder spins freely.
  3. If I pull the trigger, it cycles the action, rotates the cylinder (and seems to lock it), etc, but the trigger remains in the back position.
  4. If I cock the hammer, the cylinder locks up fine.
  5. When I pull the trigger in single action, the trigger stays in the "pulled back" position.

Is there a way to fix this gun that is reasonable? I'd like to be able to use it at a side match loaded with black powder. The finish is brown, but if it can be fixed I'd consider maybe bluing it. Serial number is in the 2400s, on the bottom of the trigger guard.

Thanks!

IMG_1918.JPG

Looks like you have a Second Model Large Frame Hammered Iver Johnson.   From the serial number, probably made in 1895.   But, the gun wears Third Model grips, so those are not original to the gun. 

What you describe about the gun's performance sounds like at least three problems that would keep you from running the gun:

Loose Top Latch - usually spells the death of a lower end pocket pistol.  (This probably came from this BP design being shot with smokeless cartridges at some time in it's life.)

Double Action stroke stops with the gun not cocked far enough to fire

Single Action firing won't let the trigger return.

That's a lot of repair work, especially on a gun that has no real sentimental value or family significance. 

I'd suggest you discuss this gun with Lonnie at Run-N-Iron shop in Nebraska.   He does a lot of old gun restoration and repair.   And he does great work.

Rebluing one of these usually costs 2-3 times it's value if it is working well.   And yours is not.  Just the repairs are going to likely be 3 times what you paid for it.

I'd venture it's a wall hanger at this point, because it will not be worth putting that much money into to make it run.

Good luck, GJ

Been there.

I know of four options:

1) Forget it and toss it in the back of the safe.

2) Repurpose the gun by mounting in a shadowbox with an antique gambler's knife, some card and such

3) buy 3 or 4 more and piece together one working gun (for a fixed amount of rounds)

4) buy a higher quality S&W

7 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Been there.

I know of four options:

1) Forget it and toss it in the back of the safe.

2) Repurpose the gun by mounting in a shadowbox with an antique gambler's knife, some card and such

3) buy 3 or 4 more and piece together one working gun (for a fixed amount of rounds)

4) buy a higher quality S&W

5) sell it to the gun grabbers in a buy back for $100

Imis

Wall hanger. Fill the barrel with JB Weld so nobody hurts themselves trying to shoot it. I suspect as Garrison Joe said somebody shot it with smokeless. 

back in the day those were $3-4 Guns. The S&Ws were $15-20.  I have a couple of Iver Johnson’s. When you compare them to a S&W the quality difference is obvious. 

While it is a potential wall hanger, if you want to make it run, talk to Bodie 601 (Willy Clark) at American Gun Works, in Glendale, CA.    (818) 956-6010

He's done dozens of these things, and what he cant find, he can make.  Tell him FJT sent you.

Cheers,

FJT

Thank you all for the advice.

Selling it to the gun grabbers would be awesome! Then use the money towards a new gun! But I live in Arizona, so none of those that I know nearby.

I may contact that Bodie 601 fellow though, just to know what it would cost to fix.

But I agree, for what it'll cost to fix, I can likely buy a much better working revolver.

One thought I've had is, when I get around to building a cool fish-tank, just drop inside as an ornament.

It sounds like you have a broken or missing trigger spring.  Those guns don’t lock the cylinder like a modern Colt or S&W.  The cylinder is held in battery by the hand (also called a pawl) holding the cylinder against a fixed bolt machined into the trigger.  Easy fix if you can find a spring that works.

The loose break open mechanism may or may not be a more serious problem.  It should be checked by a gunsmith familiar with break-open pistols.  It may just need a latch spring.

Archived