SASS Wire Forum

Springfield Trapdoor Model 1884 45-70

wildphilhickup

Springfield Trapdoor, US Model 1884 45-70    *Excellent +++ Condition

Serial Number:   330998

Cartouche on left side wrist:  "SWP  1883"    

Barrel has markings:    " V P  (eagle head)  P" in a vertical pattern along barrel.   

Barrel is 28" to receiver.   Receiver is marked:  "US Springfield"

Bottom of stock has cartouches:   "x" and an encircled "P" 

Hammer cocks in 3 different positions.

Buffington Type Rear Sight

The bore of the rifle is amazing.   Bright, shiny, clean.   I wonder if this rifle was ever fired. ?

History on the Rifle.

My mother was very good at genealogy, and provided the following info on my relative that owned this rifle.   The rifle was passed down to my great grandmother, who passed it on to me before her death in 1980.     

*** My great grandmother's maiden name on my mother's side was FRIE.   Her uncle was a man named Marcus D'Lassus Frie.   He served in the Confederate States Army during the Civil War.   He served under Nathan Bedford Forrest during the Civil War.  He was captured by the North 3 separate times, but managed to escape each time.  It is not known how Marcus came to acquire the rifle.   Obviously, the Civil War was long over with.   He died in 1911.

I am asking $1,500 shipped to your door.

Here is one I found that sold for $1,700.00

https://www.icollector.com/U-S-Springfield-Model-1884-Trapdoor-Rifle-with-Sling_i12220371

DSCN3748.JPG

DSCN3749.JPG

DSCN3747.JPG

DSCN3750.JPG

DSCN3751.JPG

DSCN3752.JPG

DSCN3753.JPG

DSCN3754.JPG

DSCN3756.JPG

1 hour ago, Uriah, SASS # 53822 said:

Cadet rifle?

Noticing the short barrel.

Uriah

Barrel is 28" to the front of the receiver. 

I don't know that much about Springfield Trapdoors.

Cadet rifle.  Regular rifle has 32.5” barrel. Approx 1.30 rested in receiver.

Cadet length barrel 29.6”

NOT a conversion from 1895.  Lack the secondary inspectors mark.  Hand more telling, the conversions have no markings, on the barrel, right in front of the receiver (VP).

For what it’s worth, 

Uriah

Bore pictures.     Progressing from "chamber" ~3" IN, to "muzzle", ~3" deep.

PICT0001.JPG

PICT0005.JPG

PICT0007.JPG

PICT0008.JPG

PICT0010.JPG

PICT0011.JPG

PICT0012.JPG

PICT0013.JPG

4 hours ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

Typically cadets did not have sling or stacking swivels.

*** This one sold for $2,875, November 30th, 2012.     

The U.S. Springfield Model 1884 Trapdoor Cadet Rifle is similar to the Model 1879 Cadet with a 29 1/2 inch barrel. The major differences are the Buffington rear sight that is also used on the rifle and new breech markings. The Model 1884 Cadet was manufactured from 1888 to 1893 with this example manufactured in 1890. The rifle is equipped with a Buffington rear sight which is marked with the letter "R". The breechblock is marked "U.S./MODEL/1884" and the lock plate is marked with the eagle/shield motif along with "U.S./SPRINGFIELD" ahead of the hammer. The left rear side of the barrel is stamped with "V/P/eaglehead/P" proofs. The letter "A" is stamped on the top of the barrel at the breech. The oiled finished stock has a "SWP/1890" cartouche on the left side of the wrist with the number "462" stamped on the comb and on the buttplate tang. The stock has two barrel bands. A sling swivel is attached to the trigger guard and a sling swivel and stacking swivel are attached to the front barrel band. The rifle has a button head cleaning rod.

HOWDY!

I found the documentation on the owner of the rifle.  If someone purchases the rifle, I will provide copies of all documentation and copies of pictures as well.  I can have it notarized as to authenticity as well if you like.

THANKS!

* The letter from A. P. Hill Camp No. 269, United Confederate Veterans states:

Your committee on Memorial respectfully submit the following report on the death of Comrade M. D. Frie

Marcus D'Lassus Cassus Frie was born March 15th, 1843 in Tishomingo County, Mississippi.   

He enlisted in the Confederate Army at Corinth, Mississippi Regiment and served four years under General N. B. Forrest. 

He was paroled May 18th, 1865 at Iuka, Mississippi by Captain J. B. Brown, Company "G" Moreland Regiment of U.S. Calvary, and took the "Oath of Allegience", in Tishomingo County, August 7th, 1865 before W. A. Paden, Justice of the Peace.

Texarkana

Ark_Texas

Sept. 7th, 1911.

2 hours ago, Grass Range said:

So are the Cadets more collectible and more valuable?

Yes & No

Collectible?   Yes, If you like Springfields.

Value?  Condition prescribes value more than anything else.   (The history behind any firearm can also add significant value.)

Archived