SASS Wire Forum

Double Duelist question (or two). Updated Pg. 2

Hendo

Good runs Randy.

Was trying to figure out what pistols you are shooting. Looks like Ruger Bisleys.

Which seems to be the most popular choice among Duelist shooters. Including myself

and pretty much all the duelist shooters I know. Exception would be Billy Boots. Who shoots a REALLY

nice pair of AWA's.  

Not saying you guys are wrong, but do you really shoot long guns and pistols from the same stance?

i.e. rifle first, left foot forward stance and stay in that for your right-hand pistol, shooting across your body?

Just want to know.

1 hour ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Not saying you guys are wrong, but do you really shoot long guns and pistols from the same stance?

i.e. rifle first, left foot forward stance and stay in that for your right-hand pistol, shooting across your body?

Just want to know.

They are twisting their upper body to square up to the target for right sidearm.

1 minute ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

They are twisting their upper body to square up to the target for right sidearm.

So instead of the cross-draw dance they're doing the duelist disco?

1 hour ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Just want to know.

Yes.

If you are moving your feet you are wasting time.  

1 hour ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Good runs Randy.

Was trying to figure out what pistols you are shooting. Looks like Ruger Bisleys.

Which seems to be the most popular choice among Duelist shooters. Including myself

and pretty much all the duelist shooters I know. Exception would be Billy Boots. Who shoots a REALLY

nice pair of AWA's.  

WRONG.......Freedom Arms Model 97s

Note: A few of you might remember Handsome Valentine from late 90s.  He won National Championships with a prototype pair.

12 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Yep.

If they watch the video. It's not really much of a move to roll your body/shoulder just a little.

That's sure faster than moving your feet around if you don't have to.

Really not much different than a two handed shooter doing the same thing.

One thing to work on that has not been mentioned yet, is to watch how these different Duelists discard their rifle and shotguns moving to the next firearm. 

One thing that I have spent a considerable amount of time on is, as a right handed shooter, discarding my rifle with my right hand and moving to pull shells or pistol with my left. It takes some practice but you open the lever after the last shot and then grab the receiver, so that you have total control of it. Same thing with the shotgun, discarding it with your left hand to pick up the rifle with your right. If you watch Pecos Nick's hands closely you can see that he is discarding the shotgun with his left hand and actually dragging his hand past the breach of the shotgun to ensure the shells are out, as he is picking up his rifle. 

Another item is carrying your spent shotgun or rifle to the next shooting location.  I love transitioning from rifle to shotgun with a long run because I can carry my rifle with my right hand pull shells with my left and then when I put down the rifle my hand is right there to pick up the shotgun. Minimal movement. I did not waste time retuning the rifle to the original shooting position. Some ranges/stage conventions don't allow for this, so keep your ears open. 

Just my two cents

3 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Just want to know.

I was very cognizant of doing this with my feet as a Duelist and TRY to do it even today as a Gunfighter.

It was more important as a Double Duelist because of the transition options DD opens up.

But time spent shuffling is time wasted - it's just better camouflaged if there are other additional actions I have to perform prior to the next gun (as does a supported shooter or Gunfighter)

A good double Duelist is close to juggling.

Hands moving continuously - while the body and feet build a solid yet reactive platform.

6 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Just want to know.

Yes I do.

Thanks

Randy

7 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Good runs Randy.

nice pair of AWA's.  

Yes, I'm shooting Bisley's, one pair done by Boomstick Jay and one pair done by Three Cut. I shot Vaqueros till I started watching a lot of the good Duelist shooters and most seemed to be shooting Bisley's. I have a fairly large hand and they fix me a lot better.

Thanks

Randy

Just an update,

I shot a whole monthly match DD. It was a lot of fun and I think it's how I'm going from here on. Did I do better? Aw heck no. My purpose of securing the bottom of the score card is assured. :D 

It did feel better and I really enjoyed shooting this way. There was a bit of conversation about a 49er shooting Double Dualist, but it was all good. 

Many thanks to Not So Dead Eye Maverick for helping me dial in my strong side aim. I'm forever grateful to my pard and mentor, Warthog Red, who got me into this and continues to offer the best advice, listens to my excited ramblings and puts up with my endless questions. (Not to mention gives me a ride to these shindigs).

I really want to thank all of you for the immeasurable advice and sharing that you've given. I'm sure I didn't get half of it right last weekend, but hey, there is next Saturday.

If you’re serious about getting better as a Double Duelist you need to make sure both hands can do things equally. You should be able to pick up and discard long guns equally well with both hands. That’s what opens up the wide variety of transitions available to DDs. Most folks have trouble bringing their weak hand up to speed. Best advice I was given is to start using your weak hand to do every day tasks that you’d normally do with your strong hand. Brush your teeth, shave, wash yourself, etc. When people ask why you’re such a good DD you can tell them it’s because of your bathroom habits. :D

On 1/30/2020 at 9:47 AM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Just want to know.

Yes 

14 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

If you’re serious about getting better as a Double Duelist you need to make sure both hands can do things equally. You should be able to pick up and discard long guns equally well with both hands. That’s what opens up the wide variety of transitions available to DDs. Most folks have trouble bringing their weak hand up to speed. Best advice I was given is to start using your weak hand to do every day tasks that you’d normally do with your strong hand. Brush your teeth, shave, wash yourself, etc. When people ask why you’re such a good DD you can tell them it’s because of your bathroom habits. :D

What is this weak hand/strong hand thing you guys are talking about? That must be some duelist concept unheard of by us gunfighters :lol:

2 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

What is this weak hand/strong hand thing you guys are talking about? That must be some duelist concept unheard of by us gunfighters :lol:

This is a Duelist thread.  If you're a Gunfighter you're subject to a Thread DQ for posting out of category. :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

This is a Duelist thread.  If you're a Gunfighter you're subject to a Thread DQ for posting out of category. :ph34r:

Everyone knows that a double Duelist is just a gunfighter afraid to come out of the closet anyway. :o

27 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Any idea how many times I have earned a penalty for pulling two guns while shooting Duelist? Pretty much at least once every match, including every plainsmen match. I even ask the TO to grab one of my arms and hold it behind my back when I get to pistols

1 hour ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Everyone knows that a double Duelist is just a gunfighter afraid to come out of the closet anyway. :o

Is that like saying only a gunfighter would shoot their way out of a closet without checking to see if the door is open? 

:D

When SASS began, the gun control BS was imbued in many Californians. Gunfighter was looked at askance by the Wild Bunch.

They limited its applicability back then and it has remained that way today. There is absolutely no reason to preclude its use in age based categories but it has been not been changed.:wacko:

Most of the clubs where I shoot have let me shoot gunfighter as an age based old guy up to and including Grand Patron. This year I will shoot where they let me as an El Rey. :D

I would like to return to EOT but driving all the way from the Idaho/BC border to Alburquerque to get a MDQ is a bit much.  :angry:

Trying to return to a different style at my age simply isn't in the cards. :(

This Duelist Prefers 1871 Open-Tops with Navy grips, in .44 Russian Long ( .44 spl. )loaded with full case loads of Goex 3F ...

I ain't Fast but I have Fun …. 1851s are also favorites …. No cross- draws for me ….

Jabez Cowboy

Archived