SASS Wire Forum

Wyoma

Wyoma

Formula?  I don’t know, but you can read up on sight adjustment in the Brownells catalog.  At least the older catalogs, anyway.  You may wish to check it out and see if there’s anything in there that helps.  There’s a lot of information in those catalogs.

Cat Brules

Adjust your point of aim. Learn where it shoots.

Play with powder amounts, bullet weights, crimp setting and OAL settings. 

If you just have to file, just one stroke at a time and then shoot at least 10 rounds. Metal comes off real easy, it doesn't go back on so easy.

If it shoots to point of aim with standard weight bullets I would not lower the front sight to accommodate an excessively light load, but that's just me. 

Had a pair of Cimarrons (Piettas) that shot standard weight (158gr) 38sp and 357mag ammo about 14" low at 25 yards.  Windage was perfect and both guns grouped well, just very low.  This was before I shot SASS, so I actually cared about my sights being regulated.  I took a box of my preferred loads, some sandbags, and a file to the range one day and filed the front sights down until point of aim matched point of impact.  Go slow and protect the rest of the guns finish with blue painters tape, but you should be fine.  Not aware of a formula, and it will vary depending on caliber, ammo and barrel length, but on my Piettas I probably removed 1/8" of metal if that's of any help.

Just got it and with the blade at 6 on the bull it's shoots a really tight group at dead 6 o'clock but about 1 inch low at 30 feet.  Shooting Fiocchi .357/142g.  I had read that some folks file down the sight.  But, like you guys said - you can't put it back.  

Sounds like the sights are regulated to hit right where you are aiming at.  If a 6 O'clock hold is your preferred style of aiming/shooting you can file the sight or opt to try a little heavier bullet weight. 

23 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Johnson, you forgot to factor in the earths rotation. I mean come on!

And don't forget the altitude you are shooting at, the barometric pressure, the temperature, time of day and how you hold your tongue. :lol:.

Seriously though, experiment with what Cyprus Sun says before you do any filing on the sights, I made adjustments with my cartridges, found what worked well with my Vaqueros and left my sights alone. 

39 minutes ago, Wyoma said:

Just got it and with the blade at 6 on the bull it's shoots a really tight group at dead 6 o'clock but about 1 inch low at 30 feet.  Shooting Fiocchi .357/142g.  I had read that some folks file down the sight.  But, like you guys said - you can't put it back.  

Sounds 'hot' for SASS.

SASS has  a max velocity of 1K, FPS and lead bullets only.

Respectfully, 

OLG 

Those are just what I had when the pistol arrived.  I also shot some 38 sp just to see the difference in recoil.  I will probably not actually be a shooter.  I just like the whole concept.  Might go see some matches though.

7 minutes ago, Wyoma said:

Those are just what I had when the pistol arrived.  I also shot some 38 sp just to see the difference in recoil.  I will probably not actually be a shooter.  I just like the whole concept.  Might go see some matches though.

Oh, a tire kicker.....just kiddin'. Get out to a few matches. See what they have to offer. It'll be a helleva lot more than punching hole in paper. Look for Clubs in your area, then go out and introduce yourself. Do that and you'll be shooting a whole lot more than your Vaquero. You'll also meet the finest folks that you'll ever meet....outside of family of course.

Edit. List your approximate location. You'll have plenty of invites.

11 minutes ago, Wyoma said:

Go shoot a match!

Where did the 38's shoot to?

OLG 

2 hours ago, Wyoma said:

I would call that good enough.   Three Foot Johnson's formula is right except for 5 in.   Measure distance between you sights.  Mine are more than 5 in.        GW

2 hours ago, Wyoma said:

And, I have found in the "heat of the action" one will tend to shoot a little high so I do not mind a hit on target of 1 or 2 inches low from slow, controlled firing.

1 minute ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

And, I have found in the "heat of the action" one will tend to shoot a little high so I do not mind a hit on target of 1 or 2 inches low from slow, controlled firing.

Agreed.  Competitors should shoot groups at match speed before considering changing sights.  They will not only see point of impact rise, but may see it move to the side as well.

Good comments above.  My understanding is that many factory pistols are shipped out with the point of impact set low, (point of aim high) to enable final correction for the shooter's eyes, etc. to be made by lowering the front site, rather than having to deal with the much more difficult job of raising the rear sight.   I've never been hesitant to file a front sight for correction, by trial and error.  

One word of caution, however.  Some new manufacture New Vaquero front sights are not soldered in very securely.  Two of mine have fallen off completely when shooting.  If you file them, draw file lengthwise, rather than side to side. 

And another caution - - this one about safety-- because trial-error sight adjustment involves repetitive loading and unloading of the gun, it's easy to inadvertently skip a step.  Make absolutely sure you have an unloaded gun EACH TIME, before working around the muzzle end.  Draw filing from the front will point the firearm roughly at your heart.  

I admit I did not read all the posts.

------------

First thing I read says this gun is new to you.

If this is true, you need to shoot a couple of hundred rounds of the ammo you think you want to use to break in the barrel.

Making sure it is SASS legal.

All lead,

The lead 38/357 bullets used by loaders and reloaders is usually .358" in daimeter.

This is larger than the jackets bullets which are usually .357" diameter.

This alone will cause a little more barrel rise when shooting.

Also, a heavier bullet will cause rise.

You might try 125 gr bullets at about 700'/sec to sight your gun in.

Faster bullets hit lower than slower bullets.

Heavier bullets hit higher than lighter bullets provide the velocity is the same.

Do not rush to make modifications to your gun until you break it in and you learn the feel of the gun.

The way you grip the gun will also change where the bullet hit even if you see the same sight picture when shooting.

6 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Example -

Sight radius = 5"

Target = 30' away (360")

POI is 3" low

3"/360" = ?/5"
? = ~ 41 thousandths

Good job, TFJ.

Similar triangles.  The above formula is a simple proportion.   

7 hours ago, Wyoma said:

“I will probably not actually be a shooter.”

Yeah, that’s what a lot of people say. ;)

Cat Brules

Archived