SASS Wire Forum

Video recording

Dusty Devil Dale

After our last match, a new, young shooter (yeah, we have some of those!) asked me if it was acceptable to wear a Go

-Pro body cam recorder during competition, only to get video of him shooting. 

I didn't know the answer for certain.  I told him some categories, like B Western, would likely prohibit it but I couldn't make the call for open category shooters.  So here I am asking.  Are they being worn at other locations, and are they legal? 

I know they cannot be used to decide spotting issues, but can a person wear a visible video camera, say to observe their transitions or identify shooting improvements? 

Is it something we should welcome, or discourage?  

Thoughts anybody? 

Yes it's acceptable and has been done by lots of folks for years.

I prefer a camera on my hat.

Best advice would be something that 'blends in' as much as possible.

That's the view from my saddle.

Grizz

Black Angus McPherson borrowed my POV camera glasses to record a couple of stages. They are iVue Horizon brand and do a great job. 

They won't work over prescription glasses so not for everyone. 

You can also see my other camera set up on tripod out between shooter and targets. 

There's nothing prohibiting them... but there should be! 

Of course, in addition to the aforementioned camera glasses, there are also cameras built into wristwatches, so where would you draw the line?

1 minute ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Of course, in addition to the aforementioned camera glasses, there are also cameras built into wristwatches, so where would you draw the line?

Opinions vary.

As I said in my earlier post, I use a camera on my hat, it's a black torpedo shaped camera, with black straps, on a black hat, so it blends in, more or less.

As Warden said, there's the camera glasses.

Another option would be a chest mounted go pro 'box' camera.

No, none of these are period correct, nor are our safety glasses, hearing protection, gun carts, etc etc etc.

And yes, I get that to some 'body cameras' for lack of a better term are not in the theme of the old west.  However, they (more specifically the videos shot with them) are very useful tools.  Both for instruction for the shooter, but also as promotion for the sport.

25 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

None! You want to grow the game and get young folks involved you have to use technology so let’s put the boomer mentally away.

3 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

None! You want to grow the game and get young folks involved you have to use technology so let’s put the boomer mentally away.

AMEN!

Oh yeah!  Technology!  That’s it!  

Tell him to bring his girlfriend to shoot video.

Body-worn cameras or almost any other such devices or paraphernalia are, or can be, a safety hazard, in my view.  Grizz’s hat camera is likely the exception.

Cat Brules

If I attended a match that were such sticklers for authenticity I wouldn’t return. If we want to grow the sport video technology should be one of our greatest tools to do so. If that young man shares his videos of his experiences with his friends and associates they may choose to join in. If I could figure out how to use my GoPro and editing I’d wear it every stage I shoot and nobody would care.

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

People really object to cameras?  Never heard that around here.

1 minute ago, Yul Lose said:

If I attended a match that were such sticklers for authenticity I wouldn’t return. If we want to grow the sport video technology should be one of our greatest tools to do so. If that young man shares his videos of his experiences with his friends and associates they may choose to join in. If I could figure out how to use my GoPro and editing I’d wear it every stage I shoot and nobody would care.

I would only care if you didn't let me borrow it to video myself.  Then I would pout until you did. 

Just now, Yul Lose said:

Amen to this.

Such "sticklers" must really be in a conundrum with that blue timer thingie at every match also.

I learn a lot from watching videos of myself shoot.  I know for a fact I have learned the most about improving my times from some of the instructional videos on Youtube by Deuce Stevens, Long Hunter, etc.  Love Jedi Knights YouTube channel and Instagram.  It is also great to see videos of new shooters and older shooters just having fun.  Personally I think these videos are great advertising for the sport and help raise awareness. 

I have a plastic, OSHA-approved, cowboy-shaped hard hat I mounted a mobius camera on.  Mine is black.  I experimented with soft hats but they flopped too much to get a good video.  Hats come in black, white, tan, pink, orange and yellow.  I'd frown upon a yellow or orange hard hat and nobody should complain about a ladies pink hat.  Here is a video of the late Jim No Horse wearing the hat-cam at EOT.

Jim No Horse, EOT 2016, Stage 2

2 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Is that you shooting?

No, the shooter is Margarita Villain...I was talking to him on the way to the ULT after being hit in the face by a piece of lead.

I guess if you went strictly by the rules of what can be worn they are illegal. 

As someone who has videos taken as often as possible I see the advantage.   I don't wear one because it looks like crap.  Why go to the hassle of spending 10s of thousands of dollars on a range to make it look western, thousands of  dollars on clothes,  gear,  guns, just to strap a hunk of plastic on you.   Kinda defeats the purpose.  

Im all for cameras/ videos/ drones  but keep big bulky cameras off the shooter.  

Great responses, everyone.  Thank you.  Divergent views, but that is a good thing.  I expect miniaturization will eventually take care of the appearance issues.  

5 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I'd be willing to allow them as long as there's a penalty for sweeping me with it. 

As I said, I think a body-worn camera could be a SAFETY HAZARD.  So, I think they should be disallowed.

Cat Brules

12 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

As I said, I think a body-worn camera could be a SAFETY HAZARD.  So, I think they should be disallowed.

Cat Brules

I think you are on the wrong side of this one Cat. 

Can you point to a single instance where a body worn camera caused a safety issue?

In all likelihood these devices have caught safety issues, brought them to light, and have been the catalyst for change, and corrective action.  

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Great responses, everyone.  Thank you.  Divergent views, but that is a good thing.  I expect miniaturization will eventually take care of the appearance issues.  

After a stage or two you don’t even notice most cameras that are being worn. A large number of shooters have someone video them with a iPhone or something while they’re shooting. One or two shooters at some matches will have a GoPro mounted on their umbrella mast on a guncart. We’re in a technologically advanced age now compared to the 1880-1890’s and even way more advanced than when SASS was started. Using video in our matches just might be the thing that sparks new interest in CAS. The Chronicle is disappearing so why not use YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, WeMe and whatever else there is as a source of shining the light on our sport? 

I like them and I like having videos of me taken that way my buddies and I can sit around and critique what happened and to aid finding bad habits. Plus the ribbing of watching the videos

Archived