SASS Wire Forum

.22 Pistols and such.....

Widder, SASS #59054

When will H&K enter the growing .22 pistol market?

I mean, we now have REALLY GOOD .22 pistols (and revolvers) on the market by:

Browning.  Love their Buckmark series.  Their 7/8 scale 1911's are near perfect in reliability, although not as

accurate as their Buckmarks.   

Ruger  (pistols and revolvers)   The SR22 is a great pistol, as are the MK models.

SIG (maybe GSG now)

Tauras  (pistols and revolvers)   I've shot their new .22 semi auto and it is a dandy and very reliable.

S & W   (pistols and revolvers)   The M&P compacts are considered top notch, including my own.

Walther -  now produces the PPQ in different barrel lengths, up to 5".

I've left somebody out and can't remember their name(s).

Please add on and help me remember...

And then there are the mini guns:

NAA

Bond (?)

I will probably add the Walther PPQ 5" to my own collection soon.

.22's are a blast to own and shoot, especially now that .22 ammo is plentiful and some of it is back

at reasonably good prices.

..........Widder

Beretta makes the tip up barrel semi-auto in 22, as does Taurus.

Glock recently introduced their Model 44 in 22.

Mossberg makes an AR 22 pistol.

My favorite isn't an entire gun, but a 22 conversion kit for my 1911.  Made by J.A. Ciener for Wilson Combat in the 1990s, I shoot it on top of a Colt Gold Cup frame.  It's spot on accurate and utterly reliable as long as you feed it good high velocity ammo and lubricate liberally.  

I don't think they still make them but I have a Colt Woodsman & a Colt. Frontier Scout 

Largo

Lawman Mark,

The Glock 44 ...... thanks.  That was the pistol I was trying to remember.

Largo Casey,

Thanks.   Your comment helped me remember that a company down in Texas is advertising

their 'Woodsman' which is a clone of the Colt Woodsman.  I think the company name is 'Standard

Manufacturing', but not sure.

And another company in Texas was advertising some of their 'High Standard' models a couple

years back.   Don't know their name.

..........Widder

27 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Remind me to never let you try my ruger mk II.

Best

CR

Howdy CR.

This is a reminder to send me your Ruger MKII so I can shoot it..... :D

I've owned some MK series.  One of my favorites was the MKII Competition.

Now, I shoot the MKIV with the Volquartsen Scorpion mods.   Pretty nice.

..........Widder

I bought a Pair of ARMI F.LLI TANFOGLIO GARDONE Mod.TA22 ,,,, .22 Longrifle Revolvers fer the Grand Kids to use ...

And for the Women and Young at Heart ...

Brass grip frame, four& five eights barrels, Fixed front sight , rear can be drifted for windage.

These are Single Action SASS legal guns ...

Jabez Cowboy 

I have a theory, leave those pesky little 22's alone in the safe for more than 30 days and they germinate.  The most recent one that was born is a Ruger Single Six made in 1960.  It is just to much fun and matches the one my dad bought back in 1960.  One can never have enough 22's and many of the newer ones are top notch!  Shot a Glock 22 LR recently, I am not a Glock person but it is a well made shooter.

I am not a fan of anything "pistol" because of the inherent reliability potential.
I inherited an ancient "Mercury" semi in 22, and it is pure junk.
I'd use it as a fishing lure, except it would only sink intermittently.

I own Ruger Single Six (bisleys) and SP101 in 22LR.
All but one are Stainless.

They go bang every time they are fired.

I really like the Single Six because the Bisley grip is the same size as my Bisley Vaqueros.
We use them for SASS trainers, as the heft, size and weight are so close to our Vaqueros.
Ditto for our Henry Frontier 22.

Pricey, but the Smith and Wesson Model 41 is a wonderful pistol. Mine has been perfectly reliable, and has always been far more accurate than I am capable of.

:ph34r:  I very much miss my High Standard HD Military and Supermatic.  Sold to get into the SASS game.......  Still have Ruger MK I standard, MKII Target and MK I bull barrel.  All with trigger mods from Clark.  Wonderful guns.

Just miss the others......:(

In my life, I've own several S&W model 41's.    Great pistols.

I presently own one of their newer models but the trigger is not as 'sweet' as the triggers in previous

model 41's I've owned.

I also owned the High Standard Victor.   Great pistol, but pulling the slide back to chamber

the 1st round was darn hard.

I can't attest as to which was more accurate, but I can say that BOTH were more accurate than I

could shoot them at that time.

My present Model 41, even without a 'sweet' trigger, IS very accurate.   Surprisingly, the most accurate

.22 ammo in it is CCI Stingers, with CCI Standard Velocity a close 2nd.

And yes, I've tried over 18 different types of .22 ammo.

..........Widder

Have both the Browning 1911-22, and the S&W Victory.

The Browning is a fun gun, the S&W is extremely accurate and reliable.

I just took the red dot of the Victory and went back to iron sights - these eyes just don't like those dots!

SC

I love my S&W Victory. I used to have a Charter Arms Pathfinder that was a fun little revolver.  Like most every other gun I've sold, I now regret getting rid of it.

I used to have a Ruger Mark II, but I found it too boring to shoot so I sold it. Eventually however I found I needed a .22 in my collection so I bought a S&W M&P22 Compact. It's a good training gun but not especially accurate so I don't shoot it a whole lot. I also have a little Jennings J-22, one of the dreaded "low melting point" aka Saturday Night Specials. Believe it or not it actually works pretty well.

Love the 22 and never go to the range without at least one. I really like to shoot the little Browning 1911 although my wife claims it as hers. The grand kids really like it too. It is pretty accurate especially since it is impossible to see the sights. Here are a few of my other favorites. A Colt Peacemaker, Colt Woodsman Match Target, Colt Officers Match and A Colt New Frontier 22-22 mag all which shoot better than me.

IMG_20180515_080437.jpg

The only .22 LR handguns I have now is my S&W model 17-3 and my new model 63 that has to go back to the factory. $&@#!

The cylinder to barrel gap on the left side is .015” while the right side is .005”. 
Anyway, it’ll get fixed. Just irks me I have to send it back. 

I really want the new Glock 44 but Glock did not make one that could be CA legal so that ain’t happening. I do want a .22 pistol though. I may just buy a conversion kit for one of my Glocks. 

Here are my two favorite .22 Long Rifle handguns.  Both are great shooters and the larger is a tack driver. 

S&W Model 34-1 "Kit Gun" in .22 Long Rifle with Altamont grips.
SJcOx9.jpg

iPuVoX.jpg

S&W Model 17-4 "K22 Masterpiece" in .22 Long Rifle.

72bRkR.jpg

Ym7lon.jpg

Thanks for looking at my S&W .22's.

^_^

Love my Ruger MK-IV. Accurate and it doesn't take a couple of MIT grads to reassemble it. For revolvers I have a H&R model 9 and a model 999.

Don't remember the model but I inherited my Grandpa's H&R 9 shot trap pistol.  Sights are worn down and most of the bluing is gone but every time a look at it I remember running traplines with Grandpa before school. :wub:

I like 'em all. Smith and wesson didnt make many performance center 617s. I know of a couple in the US and some that were exported to Germany. So I made what I thought one needed to look like. It favors the old Lew Horton hunter models and the newer Competitor 686 and 629 models. It's a 10 shot job with buttery action. I called and talked to Jim Clark before he passed in 2015 and told him what I had in mind. He said they didn't make a slab side barrel for .22 revolvers but he would see what he could come up with, and this is it. They work wonders on a model 41 at Clark so I had to have one of their barrels for this Smith. I'm real glad I did. The underlug weight is removable too. I havent found the thumb rest target grips for it just yet, but still looking.

20200128_215504.jpg

On 1/28/2020 at 10:26 AM, bgavin said:

I am not a fan of anything "pistol" because of the inherent reliability potential.

If those pistols are so unreliable:wacko:, why does every military and 99.999%

of law enforecement use and issue them?-_-

OLG 

24 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If those pistols are so unreliable:wacko:, why does every military and 99.999%

of law enforecement use and issue them?-_-

OLG 

Back to picking another fight, I see.

Q: which is inherently more reliable?
Wheel gun or pistol?

Your comment has zero to do with reliability.
The military make choices with a variety of reasons in mind.
I remember reading how the military shunned the Winchester... not the smartest move on their part.

I would think a firefight situation demands the higher capacity of the pistol.
Suitability to task has zero to do with inherent reliability.

22 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Wheel gun or pistol?

I remember reading how the military shunned the Winchester... not the smartest move on their part.

Not on the .22 subject.

bgavin, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool wheel gun guy, but today's semi's are as reliable as a fine S&W revolver.  I've got a couple of semi's pictured below that have thousands of rounds through them without a single hitch; not one.  I do love my beautiful S&W revolvers--a lot, but my CCW is an ugly 9mm semi.

S&W Shield in 9mm

da8Jel.jpg

Sig Sauer P238 "SAS" in 380 Auto

N2XGvh.jpg

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

Wheel gun or pistol?

'Picking another fight' ROTFLMAO :lol::lol::lol:

Pistols are usually easier to clear than when a revolver locks up.

Anything mechanical will break.

As a survivor of 2 gunfights. I'll stick with my 1911 or my Glock for primary SD carry.

I do have a S&W 340 for pocket carry.;)

OLG 

Some .22LR pistols are notoriously finicky on what ammo works with them. Some will only work with High Velocity. Some do not like lubed bullets. Some are super accurate with one ammo but not others. 

.22 pistols usually aren’t as reliable as their big brothers until you find out what ammunition they like. 

6 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

The flock 44 in 22 is excellent with Winchester hollow point.  Just 3 jams from the bullet not facing upward in the magazines.   

What the fluck, is a flock? :lol:

Could that be 3 or more Glock's? :P

OLG 

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What the fluck, is a flock? :lol:

Could that be 3 or more Glock's? :P

OLG 

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

I hate spell check.  :-)

So does Humpy Gratz!

:lol::lol:

..........Wizzzzzard  (Widder)