SASS Wire Forum

Millennials make a telephone call

Cat Brules

Millennials make a telephone call......

MAYBE!

I've seen versions of this before, and it is funny.

But when you were 16 or 17, could you start a Model T Ford? If you got it started could you drive it?

Seems like it was - advance the spark, set the hand throttle, crank 'til the engine caught, quickly run back and retard the spark. I think.

Driving there were three pedals. One pedal, if you pushed it to the floor you were in one gear, and if you let it come up to the top you were in another gear. A second pedal was reverse. The third pedal was the brake. None of the three pedals were in the same place they are in modern cars. And I believe I read one time that if you were going up a steep hill you needed to go backwards, because the gas tank was under the seat and it was gravity-fed.

So I would neither be able to start one nor drive one, because it was obsolete technology before I was born. Although I have a vague theory on how it is done, I have never seen an un-messed-with T Model, and without a little hands-on experience, and someone showing me at least once, I'd be lost.

It's the same thing.

15 minutes ago, Alpo said:

But when you were 16 or 17, could you start a Model T Ford? If you got it started could you drive it?

Yes, absolutely.  But to be fair I was taught by a guy that owned one. 

Show of hands...how many here have handed their phone to a younger person to help you figure something out on it?

MY hand’s up :D

My 14 year old grandson has helped me a number of times...and he now knows how to dial an old phone. ;)

I'll admit to being mystified by the process of setting time on digital watches. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Show of hands...how many here have handed their phone to a younger person to help you figure something out on it?

Never!  Not necessary for those of us who still use flip phones...I do!

Short story - Saturday past, after our "Iron Cowboy" mid-winter shoot, sitting at a restaurant with the Match Director and his Buckarette daughter. Looked like she was getting bored while most all the other folks were posting pictures to Facebook, texting, and generally using all that "smart" tech to connect with the digital world.  I got out my old faithful LG flip phone and held it up for the young lady to see.  "What is THAT?" was the response.  Had a fun time showing her how we old geezers can text - heck,  it only takes 11 key strokes to type out her 5-letter first name...Much better brain exercise than just sitting there "thumbing" a digital keyboard!

CS

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

I've seen versions of this before, and it is funny.

Seems like it was - advance the spark, set the hand throttle, crank 'til the engine caught, quickly run back and retard the spark. I think.

Driving there were three pedals. One pedal, if you pushed it to the floor you were in one gear, and if you let it come up to the top you were in another gear. A second pedal was reverse. The third pedal was the brake. None of the three pedals were in the same place they are in modern cars. And I believe I read one time that if you were going up a steep hill you needed to go backwards, because the gas tank was under the seat and it was gravity-fed.

So I would neither be able to start one nor drive one, because it was obsolete technology before I was born. Although I have a vague theory on how it is done, I have never seen an un-messed-with T Model, and without a little hands-on experience, and someone showing me at least once, I'd be lost.

It's the same thing.

Gas tank was in the cowl of some cars just ahead of the  windshield, and there was no carburetor, just a "sponge" drip system.

Always crank it clockwise and NEVER wrap your thumb over the crank handle...unless you enjoy broken or bruised thumbs.

5 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Take that same group and ask them to fold up a paper road map....If they know what they are.....

Texas Lizard.

This one is one that I never understood. One looks at the map, looks at the creases and folds it. No biggie! But yet, as a kid I watched my parents and other adults have fits over map folding. 
I had decided ( at some point in my early years) that if I ever owned my own business one of my tests would be “Can you fold a road map?” and they would prove it with a big AAA map. Anyone that couldn’t would not be hired regardless of any other qualifications. 

7 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Take that same group and ask them to fold up a paper road map....If they know what they are.....

Texas Lizard.

You could also ask them to read the map and tell you where you're going! Without GPS I'm guessing most of them would be lost! Some of them can't even read a conventional clock or cursive handwriting!:lol:

Archived