SASS Wire Forum

Lee APP press - collection of videos and notes.

Warden Callaway

Browsing around I came across a new press from Lee.  Strange little machine.  It's tbreaded for dies on top and bottom and is available with case or bullet feed.

Here it is decaping brass. 

Bulge busting.  Bullet sizing would work the same way.

I'm thinking it can be set up as a single station press also. 

Grafs has them listed - both standard and deluxe but out of stock.  Deluxe $79 regular $56. 

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/8271

Here is a really long unboxing video with some setup and testing. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use my Loadmaster with a universal decapping die in a similar way for de-priming.

Mine arrived Saturday, unlike the fellow in the video I ordered a #1 shell holder for 38s.

The piece he slides on from the right also slides on from the left AND he used the wrong one. You should use the tallest one that will work, he used one for 9mm.

Any regular die will fit, and it has a Lee breech lock bushing.

I set it up to de prime and rigged a stand for my automatic case feeder. with the short throw it is almost effortless.

J Bird Blue, I like the idea about the FCD, Ill be doing that for my big match ammo.

Looks like a tool looking for a job.  Why de-prime before "wet tumbling??"  My press de-primes and primes as the cases go through for reloading.  Same same for de-bulging??  If there are that many "bulged" cases, you have a bigger problem than your press.  Sizing bullets??  OK.  But if your casting your own bullets, and you have a tuber-sizer??  

I must be missing something.  Swell Gadget.  Butt ........... 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Why de-prime before "wet tumbling??"

A few of us backward thinking loaders hand prime the cases.  ;)

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Looks like a tool looking for a job.  Why de-prime before "wet tumbling??"  My press de-primes and primes as the cases go through for reloading.  Same same for de-bulging??  If there are that many "bulged" cases, you have a bigger problem than your press.  Sizing bullets??  OK.  But if your casting your own bullets, and you have a tuber-sizer??  

I must be missing something.  Swell Gadget.  Butt ........... 

For my Long range ammo I like clean primer pockets for consistancy. I also prime all of that brass with a hand primer.

Glocks along with a few other semi-auto firearms, the chamber does not fully support the case. When you fire the round the case expands into this unsupported area creating a buldge in the case. Because the buldge is so close to the rim it takes a special die to remove this buldge.

This video explaines it pretty well

Looks fast, alright but only while the tube is full.   Unless you want to mount some kind of case/bullet feed, sorry I don't see the advantage.  But guess I am more of a BLUE guy not red        GW

4 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Looks fast, alright but only while the tube is full.   Unless you want to mount some kind of case/bullet feed, sorry I don't see the advantage.  But guess I am more of a BLUE guy not red        GW

57 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Glocks along with a few other semi-auto firearms, the chamber does not fully support the case. When you fire the round the case expands into this unsupported area creating a buldge in the case. Because the buldge is so close to the rim it takes a special die to remove this buldge.

This video explaines it pretty well

I do the same thing but with a Lee Bulge Buster die for my .45 ACP.  I end up with a lot of range brass after a Wild Bunch match, so this step is essential in my experience.

I like the way this outfit works and I do believe it's going to really speed up the processing of my black powder brass. Midsouth supply has them listed but they are on back order, I went ahead and ordered one anyway with any luck it won't take too long to get to me.

I also picked up some paint powder at Harbor Freight today, I don't know how serious I'm going to get about  coating my bullets but I thought I'd try it.

7 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

That'll be just the thing for de-priming before wet tumbling :D

I like to de-prime before wet tumbling also.   The Lee looks fast I just wonder how long it takes to fill the tube. I'll stick to my 650 with a dedicated de-priming die that way I can use the case feeder. 

38 minutes ago, Tequila Chase said:

I like to de-prime before wet tumbling also.   The Lee looks fast I just wonder how long it takes to fill the tube. I'll stick to my 650 with a dedicated de-priming die that way I can use the case feeder. 

You can easily connect any bullet or case feeder to the Lee system. 

If you use the Lee case feeder it  has 4 tubes that will hold about 25 cases per tube.  It has a top funnel that orientates the cases and fills the tubes in short order.

Not sure about the bullet feeder

56 minutes ago, Tequila Chase said:

Don't you think you could just keep filling the tube as you process?

3 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

One hand filling the tube as the other works the lever???  Me?????  In the words of Harry Callahan "A man has to know his limits" ;)

Like rubbing your head and patting your stomach?  (Or the other way).  Good gunfighter practice. 

Yet another video of the Lee APP press - this time sizing Lake City 06 brass.

I don't see this as a replacement for a progressive press.  It's more of a single stage press with automated feed system that has the versatility of using dies in top or bottom.  For $56 or $79,  it could pay it's way. 

The Redding die looked interesting as I could use it on my Hornady LNL which is has more leverage than the bottom of the line Lee press I use for bulge busting. It's spendy! $100 for the die in the video, plus $8 for the plastic bottle and $13 for the bottle adapter. Thinking I'll pass on that route.

Lee's bulge buster die is $16 and it comes with its own collection container. Works just fine.

7 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

How the The Lee case collator works and a couple of improvements. 

I don't find that Lee has indicated the four-tube feeder as compatible. Tubes aren't practical without that collator that fills tubes with a shake. All the pictures I have seen of the case feeder on the press and in the productivity kit are of one tube,

7 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I don't find that Lee has indicated the four-tube feeder as compatible. Tubes aren't practical without that collator that fills tubes with a shake. All the pictures I have seen of the case feeder on the press and in the productivity kit is one tube,

I thought I seen a video of one with a 4 tube feeder attached but I've not found it back.  Couldn't you use the collector on one tube and just plug the other 3 holes?

9 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I don't find that Lee has indicated the four-tube feeder as compatible. Tubes aren't practical without that collator that fills tubes with a shake. All the pictures I have seen of the case feeder on the press and in the productivity kit are of one tube,

Oh ye of little faith, how can you doubt that us rednecks would be able to fabricate a mount for the 4 tube feeder.

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Oh ye of little faith, how can you doubt that us rednecks would be able to fabricate a mount for the 4 tube feeder.

The reality of this press will sink in shortly.

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

The Redding die looked interesting as I could use it on my Hornady LNL which is has more leverage than the bottom of the line Lee press I use for bulge busting. It's spendy! $100 for the die in the video, plus $8 for the plastic bottle and $13 for the bottle adapter. Thinking I'll pass on that route.

Lee's bulge buster die is $16 and it comes with its own collection container. Works just fine.

But you also have to buy the factory crimp die also.  Right.... Just asking      GW

3 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Bulge Buster Kit MSRP is 20 bucks plus the FCD in the caliber of choice for $23 MSRP. No $100 premium that I noticed.

6 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Not tracking with you there Roscoe. My prices come from Midway USA. What $100 premium are you referring to?

The Redding  bulge buster      GW

Archived