SASS Wire Forum

Lee APP press - collection of videos and notes.

Warden Callaway

On 1/28/2020 at 6:40 PM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Not tracking with you there Roscoe. My prices come from Midway USA. What $100 premium are you referring to?

Don't need a Redding die for the APP. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I realize that. My post was a response to the one about the Redding die. 

Quotes are helpful to put comments in context. In this case I would have had to watch the video, which I didn't. I have both the Redding and the Lee Bulge Buster but forget why. I think one of them will do loaded ammo and not the other. I had occasion to need that when I once and only once bought reloads. My Redding is 40 S&W and the Lee is for either 40 S&W or 45 ACP. It's been so long since I loaded for semi-auto, I forget, but will be doing 45 ACP again soon, mostly for a revolver, which never bulges cases.

This gentleman put up yet another video one the press. He's sizing 223 bullets.  He also hauled out a 4 tube feeder assembly and said it could be used with the press but didn't mount it.

Here he's showing a larger jar he's made to replace the small jar.  But it looks like he has the 4 tube feeder attached.

Being the APP is just a non-moving bottom ejector,  why not just slip a piece of  plastic tube to the bottom of the die then stick in a coffee can on the floor       GW

I've been sizing bullets with a small press mounted upside down for a couple of years.  I initially set up a gallon plastic jug to catch sized bullets but just a few weeks ago I bought 2' of flexible clear plastic hose from the farm and home store and did what you suggested. 

5a1c706b6ae06_ResizingbulletsNov2017.thumb.jpg.36a5aad7285a0cb539a2a42b324fd00a.jpg

7 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I've been sizing bullets with a small press mounted upside down for a couple of years.  I initially set up a gallon plastic jug to catch sized bullets but just a few weeks ago I bought 2' of flexible clear plastic hose from the farm and home store and did what you suggested. 

5a1c706b6ae06_ResizingbulletsNov2017.thumb.jpg.36a5aad7285a0cb539a2a42b324fd00a.jpg

Where did you get that press and about what did it cost?

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Where did you get that press and about what did it cost?

4-5 years ago at a Cowboy garage sale at a big match.   $10.  I looked up the company and they cost something like $200.

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/compact-reloading-press

On 1/27/2020 at 5:41 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

If you use the Lee case feeder it  has 4 tubes that will hold about 25 cases per tube.  It has a top funnel that orientates the cases and fills the tubes in short order.

Lee case feeder will not work with .38WCF, .44WCF or .45 Schofield cases.  The inside diameter of the tubes seem to be about (I'm guessing) .001 or .002 too small. When I used it for these calibers, I would always have to use a wooden dowel as a follower to force the brass down the tube.

2 hours ago, German Jim said:

Lee case feeder will not work with .38WCF, .44WCF or .45 Schofield cases.  The inside diameter of the tubes seem to be about (I'm guessing) .001 or .002 too small. When I used it for these calibers, I would always have to use a wooden dowel as a follower to force the brass down the tube.

Thanks for that information.   What's a'mater with those Lee people? :angry:

P. S.

The 38WCF, 44WCF and 45 Schofield are listed in the description of the Universal case feeder.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/7701

15 hours ago, German Jim said:

Lee case feeder will not work with .38WCF, .44WCF or .45 Schofield cases. 

44-40 & 38-40 cases measure about .519 and my Lee loader tubes are .532 -- should work. Works on my loader. Could be difference in batch of tubes ?

On 1/29/2020 at 8:42 PM, German Jim said:

The list of calibers on the Grafs website and the list on Lee's do not agree.   The Lee website list does not include 38WCF and 44WCF or Schofield, 

https://leeprecision.com/universal-case-feeder.html

Another video.  This one shows using a small funnel on top of feeder tube to make filling easier. 

I had this idea but thought I'd just put a funnel directly into the feeder and not use a tube.  I'm old and slow but I'm sure I could drop cases or bullets with my left hand while pulling lever with right.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:42 PM, German Jim said:

that's odd i've run plenty of 38 & 44 WCF brass through my tubes with never a hiccup 

27 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

that's odd i've run plenty of 38 & 44 WCF brass through my tubes with never a hiccup 

As it turns out - Lee has changed the base of the case feeder. Now it has a large hole and a small hole for different case rim sizes.

The hole in the older model is only .520, new one is .540

Yet another Lee APP press video.  This one is well produced and gives a good overview of the parts and assembly.

I talked with Rick at Graf and Sons retail today about the unique Xpress shellholder for this press and that they didn't list them on their website. "Humm, They are different.". I hope he talks to their purchasing agent and they get some in stock.  The machine comes with 3 shellholders but none are popular cowboy calibers.  

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Yet another APP press video.   This one he used the press to load 45Colt.  He primed and charged off the press.  I think at the end, he ran them back through a Lee FCD. 

Very useful video but demonstrates that Lee dies are not very good with lead bullets that are larger than intended for the dies. Shaving bullets was not cool, and crushing bullets with an FCD is not good either. The issue with coated bullets is whether they need to be resized after coating. Some disruption of the coating is pretty likely.

This procedure could certainly make a single stage press user more productive.

With seating I would want to take that spring out of the way.

He needs a sturdier bench.

Yeah,  I think he mentioned the problems that he should have corrected.   

While not replacing a progressive press, I think it does show that the $80 press could either be something to use for some one step processes like depriming,  bullet sizing,  bulge busting, etc.   But it could be a do-all press for someone on a budget or space restricted - say someone in a motor home or travel trailer.  I see it has possibilities for the black powder shooter.  I'm thinking a person that tops wirh wonder wads could feed charged cases through to be corked off.

I'm still waiting for Grafs to get some in.  I'm thinking a short feeder tube with a funnel on top.  Drop a case in each time the handle is pulled to keep feeder topped off.  

5 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Very useful video but demonstrates that Lee dies are not very good with lead bullets that are larger than intended for the dies. Shaving bullets was not cool, and crushing bullets with an FCD is not good either. The issue with coated bullets is whether they need to be resized after coating. Some disruption of the coating is pretty likely.

This procedure could certainly make a single stage press user more productive.

With seating I would want to take that spring out of the way.

He needs a sturdier bench.

If properly coated; you can resize coated bullets with no issues.  My coated bullet supplier (Cimarron Bullets)has an automated sizing maching that resizes all of his after they receive their Hi-Tek coating.

20 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Automation package is included in the "Deluxe" version. WIthout it, I believe every bullet or case would be hand fed, and probably calling for a standard shell holder.

That's the way I understand it as well.  But the above video shows it set up with the Lee 4 tube feeder.

If a person bought a manual press and a 4 tube feeder,  would there be anything else needed to set it up like above?

They also have the APP single tube feeder kit in stock.  But it'll cost more buying the press and kit separately than to buy the deluxe.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/7921

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

That's the way I understand it as well.  But the above video shows it set up with the Lee 4 tube feeder.

If a person bought a manual press and a 4 tube feeder,  would there be anything else needed to set it up like above?

They also have the APP single tube feeder kit in stock.  But it'll cost more buying the press and kit separately than to buy the deluxe.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/7921

Comparing the parts in the picture from the above link to the Automation Package, I don't think you would have the fingers that grab the bullet or case. The Universal Case Feeder package just has the pusher.

1 minute ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Comparing the parts in the picture from the above link to the Automation Package, I don't think you would have the fingers that grab the bullet or case. The Universal Case Feeder package just has the pusher.

I asked the guy that put up the latest video.  He confirmed that you need the deluxe press to have all the parts to connect then 4 tube feeder.   

MidwayUSA has the Lee APP press in stock!  Not only that but with free shipping!   And they have the X-Press shell holders for the press in stock.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022385797

The shellholders are unique to the press.  It comes with 3 but not what most cowboy action shooters need.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022386023

I got mine.

Big day yesterday.  I got fitted with hearing aids and then dropped in at MidwayUSA and picked up the Lee APP press. 

We got home early after lunch but I was so absorbed with my new hearing aids I only opened the MidwayUSA box.

First blush, it's awfully light.  Lots of pot metal and plastic like all Lee products. 

As I'm often up for a couple of hours in the night,  I just set it up.  Being a real man, I decided to try setting it up without using instructions.  (But I have watched a lot of YouTube videos so felt I had a clue).  It didn't take long.  I spent more time looking for stuff than actually assembling and adjusting it without looking at the instructions. 

Like a lot of my bench stuff, I just mount it to a board and C-clamp to a bench or table.  Turns out the bolt pattern for the APP press is the same as used on their little Lee C press.  I just took that board and screws and used it for now.  I can do something else later. 

We have a heavy bar stool made from 2x4s.  I used bar clamps to clamp the press down. This way the press can be removed and stashed or used about anywhere - like setting on bench in front of wood stove and in direct line of sight of TV.

The big moment was setting it up to feed 44WCF cases. I was apprehensive that it would handle the case.  It does with one minor glitch.  Looks like a single case want's to catch on the edge of the black base of tube feed system.  A couple of cases is enough weight to drop them on through.  I can fix that.

P.S.  Grafs also has the Deluxe version in stock now. But don't list the shell holders.  MidwayUSA does.

Archived